Best reliable S class.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fifthwheel

Car
c180
Hi all, old timer looking for the best petrol S class, don't mind what year. Looking for something with a good reputation for reliability and good bodywork. I don't have a big budget up to £5000. Hoping to find a good car to keep and look after. We have a c180. 204 running as a daily driver but just wanted a second car for occasional use. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, john.

Last edited:
I agree the W126 is the one, I had a 560SEL from new for six years and was very reliable.

Great looking and so comfortable. Then they bought out the W140 :eek: :eek: :ban:

In my view the W140 series models are great, they ran until about 1998 (S Reg).

We've had both a W140 and a W220 in the family previously - much prefer the W140 model.

The W140 is definitely a Marmite Car :eek::eek:

The W140 is definitely a Marmite Car :eek::eek:

Yes, they can look quite slab sided. I much prefer the later facelift W140's, post 1996/7. With the refreshed lights and colour coded panels they hide their size quite well. Double glazing on them is nice too :)

Here's a W126, looks like an ex-embassy car (flag pole mount on front wing?)

Mercedes W126 S CLASS 420 SEL 1993 Year “J” Reg - With MOT For Sale on Car And Classic UK [C582578]

A W140:
Immaculate Mercedes Benz S320 Low Mileage For Sale (1997) on Car And Classic UK [C552128]

To give the OP an idea of bodystyles, here's a W220:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406145017535

Personally I'd avoid the early W220's (1999 to 2002). W220's also can suffer from rust, typically the doors and wheel arches. Again, this is likely to be an issue on the W126 (they have known weak spots too). Buy on the basis of condition and history not necessarily mileage and age. If it were me, I'd be looking for a high spec W140 S500 or S320, ideally in Green Black metallic.

Last edited:
Going off topic slightly, did you go from the 560SEL to your current S class or did you have the W140 in between ?

I did wait for the 140 to come out and when it did :eek: I just couldn't face having to drive that every day.

Fortunately BMW bought the 740iL out at the same time, so I went for that, great car loved it had it until BMW bought out the 7 with that boot lid :eek: which seemed to have just landed on the back of the car I think BMW sacked the designer.

Fortunately MB bought out the 220 which was a great looking car which I kept until the 221 came out which I picked up from the factory in 2008. I won't get the 222 as I'm sort of semi retired ( Chauffeur ) and the 221 will see me out. I do like the 221, It has the AMG kit with the 20" and lots of options.

Sorry for such a long winded answer :rolleyes:

I did wait for the 140 to come out and when it did :eek: I just couldn't face having to drive that every day.

Fortunately BMW bought the 740iL out at the same time, so I went for that, great car loved it had it until BMW bought out the 7 with that boot lid :eek: which seemed to have just landed on the back of the car I think BMW sacked the designer.

Fortunately MB bought out the 220 which was a great looking car which I kept until the 221 came out which I picked up from the factory in 2008. I won't get the 222 as I'm sort of semi retired ( Chauffeur ) and the 221 will see me out. I do like the 221, It has the AMG kit with the 20" and lots of options.

Sorry for such a long winded answer :rolleyes:

Peter, at the risk of further side-lining the thread, do you think clients using S-class / 7-series level cars are bother by what the car itself is (i.e. an S-class or 7-series) or only that it is quiet, spacious, rides well and is well driven etc? I only ask as the guy my father uses was asking what our view would be on him moving from a 7 to a Phaeton.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I do like the look of the w220 was this car well liked or did it have problems I should look out for. Stupid question but a mate had a w210 it had the famous rust problems does the w220 suffer from similar rust or did they overcome the rot after that model?

Thanks for the replies everybody. I do like the look of the w220 was this car well liked or did it have problems I should look out for. Stupid question but a mate had a w210 it had the famous rust problems does the w220 suffer from similar rust or did they overcome the rot after that model?

They were galvanized from Q1 2003 production onwards, so look for a '53 or later and you should be ok. The MY2003 facelift also gave a much more modern version of Comand with widescreen nav etc.

Edit: some don't like the early 7 speed boxes, but I'd personally look for a 7 speed S350 or S500 as they usefully improved the economy and pace.

Last edited:
Peter, at the risk of further side-lining the thread, do you think clients using S-class / 7-series level cars are bother by what the car itself is (i.e. an S-class or 7-series) or only that it is quiet, spacious, rides well and is well driven etc? I only ask as the guy my father uses was asking what our view would be on him moving from a 7 to a Phaeton.

A difficult question. When you have regular clients it's the driver more than the car.

Depending on your clientele depends on the car. If all of your work is sub-contracted then obviously if the contractor has S-Class clients then that is the car. I have always had the S-Class since my first car was a 450SEL in 1983 and from there I have stayed with them apart from the 740iL.

The 7 Series are usually used by Banks who have in house Chauffeurs and some private chauffeurs. I sometimes do work for the Brunei's and they insist on a 500 S-Class.

If your father is confidant with the driver he uses, then the Phaeton is a very comfortable and spacious car.

Chauffeuring is a very unique business. Hope that helps

Last edited:

Yes I had the 320 W220, a great looking and comfortable car. I would go for the 500, the 320 a little underpowered.

Mine was a pre facelift 2002 had it until 2008 the only problem I had was the gear stick got stuck in park which was a problem with preface lift models. I think they sorted that out. As was mentioned post 2003 they started to galvanize the bodywork, saying that my 2002 never suffered with rust.

Good luck.

If your father is confidant with the driver he uses, then the Phaeton is a very comfortable and spacious car.

Chauffeuring is a very unique business. Hope that helps

Thanks! That was my dads view as well. Just found it interesting that he was nervous he'd loose business on the basis of having a Phaeton.

Thanks! That was my dads view as well. Just found it interesting that he was nervous he'd loose business on the basis of having a Phaeton.

Not if he is good at his job and has loyal clients, he will be fine. When ever I changed my car my clients where totally bemused.

He might lose some - status is a very fickle thing.

When I had to have a limo to take me to Heathrow near daily I used to insist to my PA on a Mercedes. This was after the Nissan Serena incident but if I was going to get up at insanely early hours I was damned if I was going to turn up at Heathrow and fly commercial in anything less than an MB, along with all the millions of other sleep deprived status obsessed middle managers.

I think a Phaeton is quite a brave choice, in the best Sir Humphrey sense.

Naturally I won't have a word said against the Phaeton :D

However, if it's going to be used for chauffeuring a LWB version would be better - the SWB is a bit pokey in the back due to the thickness of the front seats.

Harry

I do like the look of the w220

A five grand W220? Not for me unless there is a contingency fund too. Having say that I've no experience of them from an ownership standpoint, so maybe one is a viable purchase at that money. Good luck with your hunt, make it an enjoyable one. :thumb:

Last edited:
John Jones Jr said:
A five grand W220? Not for me unless there is a contingency fund too. Having say that I've no experience of them from an ownership standpoint, so maybe one is a viable purchase at that money. Good luck with your hunt, make it an enjoyable one. :thumb:

I would be cautious of the W220 at that price point. When you say £5k I assume you'd want to keep some money aside for road tax and fixing any minor issues / brining it upto scratch. When I buy cars for under £10k i budget upto £2k to bring it up to par (e.g. Full service, valet / paintwork, dent repair, tyre replacement etc).You can find lots of cheap cars but too much expensive stuff to go wrong.

As well as rust on the pre 2003 cars, Airmatic suspension can play up (ours had quite a bit of work with recurring suspension issues). It also suffered badly from rust (it was a 2002 02 car. Thankfully it was all covered under warranty.

As pointed out above if it must be a w220 try and get a late 2003 facelift model (think they may have been available on the 52 plate too). Easiest way to tell from outside is that the early ones have "frosted" headlights and the nav system isn't widescreen.

I wouldn't say no to a facelift S500 however, I'd also strongly recommend looking at some of the last W140s too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom