Best run flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ordinary tyres......I won't be using runflats agin. The car I bought came with runflats but the ride on them was awful plus they were causing vibration.
What was the date code on the old ones, so you know?

I replaced my runflats today....huge difference. Less noise, no more vibration, and the ride is a bit more forgiving..
Any new tyres feel like that when you replace them, runflats or otherwise.

Any new tyres feel like that when you replace them, runflats or otherwise.

Not really.....there is a distinct difference between the way the runflat will perform on a surface that is not dead smooth. There is a lot of steel in the sidewall to keep the car from running on the rim when it has deflated. Hence the sidewall and the tyre in general is more firm in construction. Hence the ride tends to be harsh in comparison to a non runflat.

Also have you ever felt the weight if a runflat in comparison to a standard tyre ?

My experience. We’ve just changed to run flats on our 4 x 4 - they were standard equipment when the car was new and we went for the recommended Contis.

yes, the ride is harsh and the tyres appear to follow any undulation in the road surface. They are very sentive to the road surface. However we are getting used to them.

we changed because I had a puncture in my SL on the M25 without a spare and the tyre was in half by the time I got to the hard shoulder. I spent five hours with the AA getting a new tyre found and fitted (thank you AA man). The gunk was obviously useless on this occasion.

my wife uses the 4 x 4 for work travelling up and down the country so I wasn’t prepared to risk leaving her stranded on the side of the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom