Best run flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rubyred

Car
2017 C Class AMG Line
Hi there everyone. Can anyone advise on this.
I have a C Class AMG Line 17 plate with the factory fit Conti Contact Sport run flat tyres. They will need replacing soon and I want to keep run flats on the car as I do a lot of Mway driving. The Contis give a very skittish and hard ride, is there a more forgiving run flat out there that any of you have used. E.g. Goodyear Assymetric 5 or the Michelin Pilot.
Thanks, Keith

It's difficult to compare like that... but yes runflats will always have a harsh ride due to the reinforced sidewalls.

Perhaps if someone here replaced Conti runflats with another brand they could comment on difference in comfort.

I wanted to change my Conti Sport tyres in February and did lots of looking from Run flat replacements. I have the 19” rims on my C250 AMG Line estate as it’s an estate the load index is high. Lots of searching later; Michelin’s made that are the correct size and rating, Pirelli available but a pet hate of mine, Goodyear Asymmetric looked the best option. Then tried to purchase the Goodyear’s, could get the size but not the load index. You can always go higher in load index but not lower. Fitting a lower index may invalidate your insurance and present a possible hazard. I am sure the hazard would only apply if fully laden and pushing at autobahn speeds.
Ended up with Contis again as pro fitted. Got them fitted by MB dealer who was happy to price match ASDA tyres where I had found the cheapest deal.

I've just put a new set of the latest version of the Pirelli p zero MOE's. Huge improvement over previous generation. They are 19 inch run flats.

If ride is harsh - whether run flat or regular tyres - it’s worth checking to make sure that the load rating is not higher than that specified by the car manufacturer.

Higher load rating means stiffer sidewalls. It’s important not to go for a load rating lower than specified though, that may invalidate your insurance.

Thanks for your input guys, will have a look at the Pirellis P Zeros.
My wheels are also 19 inch but different tyre sizes front to back as they are on this model.
Keith

Kwik fit have 10% off at the moment, which works out cheaper than anywhere else I could find once fitting is accounted for.

These are the newer version (note the tyre sticker values... The older ones are noisier and less efficient).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-191155_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-191155_Chrome.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 9
I have to say I don't know why anyone would choose to fit run flats. Virtually all makes of run flats will give a harsh ride, hitting a pot hole and it is like the end of the world. Worse, if they are low profile, hitting a pot hole can rip the side wall which brings your journey to a premature end. I have had horrid experiences with run flats and vowed never again.

Thanks for that. I keep wondering about replacing the runflats with ordinary tyres, it's just the hassle if you get a puncture as there's no space for a spare and those foam cans are useless.
If I went to ordinary tyres would it effect the suspension geometry of the car, I suppose not if you fit the same tyre profile.
Any thoughts!
Keith

I'm on 19" Runflats too, I changed the Contis for Goodyear Asymmetrics Runflats and find they have really improved the car.
I don't think runflats are anywhere near as bad as everyone thinks, they seem to have greatly improved over the years since they were first introduced.

Runflats have come on enormously in the last decade or so. When I bought my last BMW the first thing I did was swap the runflats for proper tyres and a (useless) foam can. Transformed the ride. The MB I have just bought has 19in runflats (Pirelli) and it doesn't suffer any of the harshness I expected. I'm really impressed

Thanks rfo65 and hgb.
Will most likely stick to my first decision and remain with the run flats.
They won't be replaced until next year as there's too much tread left on the Contis but will let
you know how I get on.
Thanks all again.
Keith

Having tried out a variety of non run flats on different cars, from Continentals to Pirellis to Vredisteins to Michellin, my personal experience is that the Michelin Pilot SuperSport is all I'll ever fit, best grip and wear combination I've been able to find (non run flat versions).

They do a " Zero Pressure" version of the above, which is their run flat. Might be worth checking those out.

I'd also second switching from run flats to standard tyres. The likelihood of me changing a tyre on the side of the road is slim, so the spare makes no difference, that's what Mobilio is for!

I'd also second switching from run flats to standard tyres. The likelihood of me changing a tyre on the side of the road is slim, so the spare makes no difference, that's what Mobilio is for!
I changed my view on that when SMART m/ways were introduced, stranded on a m/way with no hard shoulder is not my idea of safety.

The likelihood of me changing a tyre on the side of the road is slim, so the spare makes no difference, that's what Mobilio is for!

I'm about to change the runflats I have for "normal tyres". The ride appears to be way too hard on them.

I wouldn't count on Mobilo. The last time I called them out on a flat battery 2 hours later I was still waiting and getting all sorts of excuses. I got fed up of waiting in the cold and excuses so then called out to a Brittania Rescue account that I had and they were there in 30 minutes.

Personally I bought a space saver wheel and jack for my C43 and have it in a nylon case in the boot. I just don't feel comfortable travelling without a spare wheel. Furthermore if you do use recovery it means that they take you home or to a garage which will never have your tyre size, make and type in stock, so journey ruined and stranded. Thats if you are lucky enough to have a puncture during business hours !

Runflats have come on enormously in the last decade or so. When I bought my last BMW the first thing I did was swap the runflats for proper tyres and a (useless) foam can. Transformed the ride. The MB I have just bought has 19in runflats (Pirelli) and it doesn't suffer any of the harshness I expected. I'm really impressed
That’s interesting. We’ve just got a used MB with 19” P Zero runflats and they are as hard as iron to such a degree I’m considering changing them to standards.

What did you replace them with. Another set of runflats or ordinary tyres.

Ordinary tyres......I won't be using runflats agin. The car I bought (c43 W205) came with runflats but the ride on them was awful plus they were causing vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom