Best safety camera device / sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Following from recent posts about speeding... what are peoples thoughts on saftey devices (aka Radar type equipment and TomToms with Speed camera warnings?)

I use to have a radar detector years ago, but more recently use TomTom with the saftey camera database / red light camera etc.

It use to be valantine 1 radar that was the 'best'

Whats new, what do people think are the best?, what do you use.

I've got a inforad hidden away in the cassette storage cubby (no dash clutter :D) with separate aerial under the parcel shelf - £29.99 with lifetime subscription.

Does a good job - puzzles passengers when the car suddenly starts beeping.

Best advice EVER...Don't speed.....:thumb:

Before you bombard me with grieff...yes i do live in the real world (also drive about 40-45k per year, i have tried various devices over the years...and TBH they all make so much general noise CONSTANTLY that you would drive slow wondering what has upset them!!!! :wallbash:

Be mindfull of your environment and keep your eyes open....i have noticed far too many unmarked police cars on the road nowadays (your devices won't alert you to them) that it just isn't worth the risk.

Lots of people say "we all speed" and that generally is true...as long as you are blending in with other motorists (on by-pass/motorway) then within reason you should be ok.

I do think our laws are antique, but fear that as long as motorists stay "easy targets" we shall continue to be so.....
Also with the current focuson being "greener" doesn't help and my local radio busts my nuts on a daily basis about how much more fuel i can save by driving slower...how many less plants will die...and reminds me that if i idle in the city centre..i am liable to be fined...:mad:
I personally think we are too heavily governed as a society but we are BIG REVENUE GENERATORS FOR MR BROWN....
The consequences for me are too high to get points/banned.

Last note...a friend got caught speeding with a laser detector (on at the time) and the traffic cop said "what happened to your detector sonny"?
as he wrote out the FPN.....makes you wonder

Sorry to stray from your first post!!!!!

I pay £80 a year for TomTom Live Services which includes weather, fuel prices, Google local search, traffic updates, and safety camera sites, for my TomTom 940.

The safety camera sites uses the Road Angel database anyway. It's also very useful on motorways where SPECS is present, as throughout the enforced area, the speed limit flashes on the top right of the screen.

Worth it in my opinion.

Best advice? Don't rely on electronics/gizmos. One day you will forget to switch on / it will fail/fault and you will get caught.

+1 for G-force and whitenemesis' posts above.

You are right - we do live in the real world - but all of these devices seem to be targeted at "Help me slow down when a camera is near" meaning "I normally speed but slow when avoiding points/fine".

A complete mindset change is needed really where we all stick to the limits negating the need for such devices. I agree that the road laws need updating but until then (and even afterwards) we should stick to the limits.

Surveys suggest that speeding really only saves minutes on the journey time so is it really worth the risk.

Off my soap box and I'm as guilty as the next man but we should not need to rely on these things. Slow down and leave 2 minutes earlier. It will have the same effect.

i had a road angel from a few years back, today i just upgraded to the new road angel connected which has on-air updates and additional radar sensors for front and rear.

sat nav i`ll rely on the comand.

I pay £80 a year for TomTom Live Services which includes weather, fuel prices, Google local search, traffic updates, and safety camera sites, for my TomTom 940.

The safety camera sites uses the Road Angel database anyway. It's also very useful on motorways where SPECS is present, as throughout the enforced area, the speed limit flashes on the top right of the screen.

Worth it in my opinion.

I hardly need it but my Maps application includes speed limit and safety camera alerts and it is all free for compatible Nokia phones (including navigation).

First time I had three points on my license was in 2004 I was doing 27mph By crossing the Tower Bridge at 6-30 am on Sunday morning with no trafic at all and I nether heard of a speed of 20mph limit at any zone at that time.
Since then I promised myself to nether get speed limit penalty again.
So I did something about it by recuring to Invest to a speed camera alert.
It was in 2005 when I came up with this mod http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/19391-speedcamtronic.html

I'm not a speed driver but some time when you are distracted by talking to your passengers its easy to get over the limit and it's then these devices came handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom