Best Speed Camera Warning Device ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
Over 43 years I have managed to avoid getting a speeding ticket but had more than a few close calls :eek: over last few years Advice and comments on the Best Standalone warning devices.
-Not Got Command
-Dont really want to drive everywhere with the Satnav on the screen
-Like my Music so needs to be heard above Bluetooth music (or interrupt it )
8 new average Speed cameras in birmingham alone :(
I have consigned myself to driving in unknown urban areas using the speedtronic limiter but limits are up and down all over the place and favourite location for these "cash cows" oops sorry" safety cameras" are just after speed reduction signs
Boyd

Over 43 years I have managed to avoid getting a speeding ticket but had more than a few close calls :eek: over last few years Advice and comments on the Best Standalone warning devices.
-Not Got Command
I have consigned myself to driving in unknown urban areas using the speedtronic limiter but limits are up and down all over the place and favourite location for these "cash cows" oops sorry" safety cameras" are just after speed reduction signs
Boyd

Cue the high horse brigade and the neck winders to tell you off for speeding and to inform you the best way is not to speed in the first place.

If you are after a standalone device, I found my Road Angel Connected (old model) was brilliant and self updating. Not too sure what the equivalent is today

I don't think distronic and radar detectors mix if that's any help. - It makes sense that if the car is pinging things with radar, that the dector is going to get upset.

-Not Got Command
Boyd

Best Speed Camera Warning Device ?

Your eyes ?

Eyes served me well for 43 yrs and many hundreds of thousands of miles
but it only takes one distraction in a lifetime eg conversation with passengers other hazards on the road that draw your eyesight away , mind drifting over issues at work or home ie a brief distraction , it all falls down to the laws of probability .
I doubt that I am capable of never ever exceeding a speed limit in my lifetime and I suspect many aren't
Sometimes traffic and hazards around you mean you miss the sign that drops the limit down .
Its all very well trying to drive like your taking the I.A.M test all of the time but thats not reality is it ,and its never going to be 100% of the time is it

I've been driving the same length of time , and when younger had driving jobs where I covered 60-100K annually , so probably now am well over the million mile mark , did 30K in my own car in the last year plus significant mileage in other vehicles .

I can't claim to have never had a ticket - in fact collected a fair few when younger , but only two in the last decade . However , I still think my eyes do just as good a job as any gadget .

As I get older, I do driver slower. However, in the 20mph zones ie usally side raods, I did 20 or less before it became law as many idiots would throw open their car doors, just pull out, walk in front of your car, or kids or cats, and the odd dog would run between cars.

Having said the above, I have nearly been caught out with speed cams in places I regularly pass as my mind is somewhere else i guess. The GLE I bought in Aril, brand news, gives me more ci=onfidence driving so, may speed a bit more, but it's no fun driving like the goo old days I'm in my mid 50's. The motorways have thos gantry cams and last month I ad to go to Gilingham/Rochester hspts for scans and low and behold, front facing cams, good job I drive within speed limits in built up areas.

I too would like to know what is the best stand lone gadget for speed cams or something I can do to my Command system that I rarely use for navigation? (Apologies to the thread started as I'm not butting in, but if you feel like that, just ask mods to remove my post, no worries, thanks.

I may be out of date but I thought the average speed cameras did not operate by radar or laser,they take a photo with time and with number plate recognition issue a ticket if you have covered the set distance too quickly,shortage average speed camera distance is on Tower Bridge London at 1mile longest the A9 in scotland at 99 miles,so radar trap spotters will not work.

I may be out of date but I thought the average speed cameras did not operate by radar or laser,they take a photo with time and with number plate recognition issue a ticket if you have covered the set distance too quickly,shortage average speed camera distance is on Tower Bridge London at 1mile longest the A9 in scotland at 99 miles,so radar trap spotters will not work.

Pretty much all the devices today operate on a GPS position referenced to a database of camers. Radar scanners are normally added as extra's.

Pretty much all the devices today operate on a GPS position referenced to a database of camers. Radar scanners are normally added as extra's.

Well you have to be some dumb bunny to miss the sign that say average speed cameras,and the big yellow masts,the gps on modern sat navs is fine for speed cameras.they beep when reaching one,but as I said there is no way of knowing which pair of average speed cameras is working if any,I remember years ago having a speed camera warning device on my windscreen but it was silent with regard these cameras.

I am using CamerAlert app from PocketGPS and it is quite good. At the moment I am using it on my iPhone which runs in background of Google maps. Also, you can download COMAND compatible speed camera POI file which you can update (I have not installed this yet!). Only downside is that it is not free and you will have to buy yearly subscription!

Camera warning device

If you are after a standalone device, I found my Road Angel Connected (old model) was brilliant and self updating. Not too sure what the equivalent is today

X 2 for the Road Angle Connected . Still using the original but am told that its replacement is not as good.
Snooper make a stand alone device and these people hamiltondirect.co.uk are advertising the Fusion GTX100 combined dash cam and camera detector.

I am using CamerAlert app from PocketGPS and it is quite good. At the moment I am using it on my iPhone which runs in background of Google maps. Also, you can download COMAND compatible speed camera POI file which you can update (I have not installed this yet!). Only downside is that it is not free and you will have to buy yearly subscription!
its the best out there... paid £19.99 year subscription and just can use it on a multitude of devices... I have it on my trusty tomtom and now running 'behind' Waze... on my iphone.

Well you have to be some dumb bunny to miss the sign that say average speed cameras,and the big yellow masts,the gps on modern sat navs is fine for speed cameras.they beep when reaching one,but as I said there is no way of knowing which pair of average speed cameras is working if any,I remember years ago having a speed camera warning device on my windscreen but it was silent with regard these cameras.

The TomTom app warns you of average speed cameras and it tells you what your average speed is.

Have you seen the camera's now mounted to the side of the motorway overhead gantries? I think these are average speed camera's too and they are well hidden as you approach them.

Good bye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom