best stuff to clean leather seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hashim_dad

mine grey leather seats in the w202 is kind of dirty (they have become a little brown at some spots). which stuff will you recommend to clean the seats with?

and i don't want that, that make the leather shine.

Gliptone every time :)

Don't waste your money on fancy branded chemical preparations packed with harmful solvents.

Instead, use what Rolls-Royce have recommended for years: saddle soap. It's available from many equestrian suppliers. It is very kind to the leather, doesn't strip out the natural oils, yet is very powerful when it comes to removing stains and ingrained marks. It leaves a matt finish and is also cheap to buy.

LINK HERE

I would offer similar advice regarding leather food to keep your seats supple. Used very sparingly, pure neatsfoot oil is the nearest thing to the natural oils that make animal skins supple. It is a product of the bovine rendering process and is a 100% natural product. Small amounts of solvents may be added to help it penetrate the leather to where it does most good, but pure neatsfoot oil can be used warm by placing the tin in a bowl of hot water before use.

Beware products claiming to contain neatsfoot oil but which are actually full of harmful petroleum solvents with very little of the real thing. Once again, equestrian suppliers are the place to go. The best pure neatsfoot oil is from Vanner & Prest and is sold in steel tins with tapered tops like Brasso tins, but larger. The tin is either beige or orange with a screw top.

LINK HERE

Don't waste your money on fancy branded chemical preparations packed with harmful solvents.

Instead, use what Rolls-Royce have recommended for years: saddle soap. It's available from many equestrian suppliers. It is very kind to the leather, doesn't strip out the natural oils, yet is very powerful when it comes to removing stains and ingrained marks. It leaves a matt finish and is also cheap to buy.

LINK HERE

I would offer similar advice regarding leather food to keep your seats supple. Used very sparingly, pure neatsfoot oil is the nearest thing to the natural oils that make animal skins supple. It is a product of the bovine rendering process and is a 100% natural product. Small amounts of solvents may be added to help it penetrate the leather to where it does most good, but pure neatsfoot oil can be used warm by placing the tin in a bowl of hot water before use.

Beware products claiming to contain neatsfoot oil but which are actually full of harmful petroleum solvents with very little of the real thing. Once again, equestrian suppliers are the place to go. The best pure neatsfoot oil is from Vanner & Prest and is sold in steel tins with tapered tops like Brasso tins, but larger. The tin is either beige or orange with a screw top.

LINK HERE

Yes back in the 70's the RR club recomended sadle soap as it is scent free, and it is scent that rots the stiches.

Our cars are finished in grade 2 hyde that has a fairly grainy surface

Just used the saddle soap as recommended. Got it in a bar form from a local equestrian centre at the massive price of £2.68 which I cut into smaller soap bars...should last for a long time. The results are a little sticky so a good clean and dry afterwards ( being very carefull not to soak the heated seat elements!) brought it up well. It does however still feel dry so a little Gliptone is next on the list.

In doing this I would like to know what panels are leather and what are plastic ( standard R230)? The leather soap seems good for all surfaces but its no good trying to feed the plastic bits!!

Seats Ok,but what about side door panels,centre armrest,dash?

:)

If it has hand stitching on, it usually means it is leather.

think soft as babies bottom think Johnsons Baby Wipes used them since Muffin Boy was born now Eight, pale leather interior clean and soft and smells quite nice too

Another vote for Gliptone Liquid Leather - I've used it just to restore the leather smell. Hide food or neutral shoe cream also work well for softening the leather.
Saddle soap is fine for cleaning, or almost any detergent. I haven't found anything which damages leather so long as it is washed off afterwards.

Where can neatsfoot oil be bought, by the way?

See "Televisions" link 6 above! follow 2nd link if that makes sense:eek:

or for more info try Google ( always a first choice on this kind of question dont you think?)

Just for cleaning the seats a damp clean cloth is as good as anything!

I use Zymol cleaning and the hyde food.

LINK HERE

LINK HERE

Just wanted to thank you - I ordered it from them the other day and they shipped via FedEX (which I hate - but that's another story).

I was too lazy to stand in the cold this evening, so I attacked the leather sofa... I'm VERY impressed with the soap (haven't tried the Neatsfood compound stuff yet - but I have trid the soap!)

Michele

You're very welcome, Michele. I hate to see people wasting money on expensive branded products that can contain harmful solvents, when good old fashioned natural products do the job far better.

Use the neatsfoot oil very sparingly. Slightly moisten a cloth and make sure to apply it evenly so there isn't a build-up anywhere.

;)

Do be aware that neatsfoot oil can darken leather noticeably, even after just one application. Test on a non conspicuous area first.

I use Gliptone too, but only used it on the sofas so far. They still feel as soft as the day they arrived.

I might well buy some of that Saddle Soap though.

I've also heard of putting a hot towel on the leather, and watch the muck it brings off, and also a damp chamois leather is supposed to work well. A clean one of course :)

I've just ordered some Saddle soap too. The white leather drivers seat in my 968 needs a good clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom