Best types of oil ! recommendations...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnorton

I have a C320 ( W203 ) Elegance saloon.

My Local Mercedes dealer told me to only use semi-synth oil as this was the recommnded type by Mercedes. I have been using Castrol Magnetic.
Can I use fully syth oil and if so what grade, could I use a 5 - 40W etc... or should I just stick to semi.

Thanks

Jay

hmmm.

Due to the extended service intervals with the FSS system I thought Mercedes insisted that dealers use Mobil 1 0w40 fully synthetic (or equivalent) and nothing else. If non synth is used with extended service intervals then there is a danger of engine damage due to sludging. I would insist on using fully synthetic oil.

Mobil 1 0w40 and shell helix ultra 5w30 have been used in mine so far.

Does anyone know if magnatec is on the MB recommended oils list?

cheers, Robbo

Last edited:
Castrol

Robbo said:
Does anyone know if magnatec is on the MB recommended oils list?

Dont know about Magnatec, but my stealer chucks Castrol TurboMax in my petrol engined 'V'! No danger of sludging up with this stuff… it's a designed for TurboDiesel's.

Andy

Hi

On the first service done, it listed the oil as Castrol Perf ( I assume they mean Performance), but I could not find this listed, even on Castrol's web site. Then the second service listed Magnetic, not sure which grade.

I do think the fully synth would be best and the service B is due at the beginning of March, so I'm gonna ask them which Oil there going to use. I have been told ( not by the dealer ) that you can provide the oil yourself, although I'm not sure how this affects the service cost ?

Thanks for the advice.

Jay

jnorton said:
I have been told ( not by the dealer ) that you can provide the oil yourself, although I'm not sure how this affects the service cost ?

Well you save on the cost of the oil. Most dealers charge £50 for a can of Mobil-1 which can be had for £25 at Costco.

So you give your dealer/mechanic the right oil, how do you know he doesn't put in cheap stuff and keep the good stuff for himself? :eek:

I suppose I would have to take their word for it, I suppose there's not much they can do, even giving you the empty containers does not mean they have used it in your car.

vito113 said:
Dont know about Magnatec, but my stealer chucks Castrol TurboMax in my petrol engined 'V'! No danger of sludging up with this stuff… it's a designed for TurboDiesel's.

Andy

I hope it's not diesel oil. True diesel oil will cause a build up on the piston crown and cause pinking in petrol engines.

cheers for the tip tigger about the mobil 1.

I have got the 240 v6 engine in my w210 which takes 8 litres of oil. The 320 v6 takes the same capacity oil as well. At £40 for four litres of mobil 1 0w 40 + oil filter, im looking at over £80 for a DIY oil change. My MB dealer does a full oil change for £75 + vat with shell helix ultra 5w30 and my indy does a change for £95, but who knows what crap they will dump in your engine... So if i was to do a mobil 1 oil change myself, then it would cost me about the same as having an MB tech do it. Anyways, i reckon the secret is not which synth is best, rather the frequency of oil change. I run about 3000 miles before i do an oil change, and run shell optimax for keeping the innards (valves etc) clean.

zip

Last edited:
I found this link listing MB recommended oils.It is US based, but should give a general indication of what oils to use.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Note that only fully synethetic oil is specified for vehicles with the FSS system.

Cheers, Robbo

oil change

if youve a w203 it must be less than 3 years old,if you change the oil yourself it messes up the assist data..

I thought so too…

Dieselman said:
I hope it's not diesel oil. True diesel oil will cause a build up on the piston crown and cause pinking in petrol engines.

I thought so too, but I checked with stealer and BP (who own Castrol) and they say modern diesel oils are OK. Oils are apparently interchangeable now to help fleet managers keep down cost, ie only need to stock one oil. They sent me the blurb below.

Vanellus C5 Global SAE 15W-40
Vanellus C5 Global is a premium SAE 15W-40 commercial mixed fleet engine oil formulated from high quality mineral base oils and a superior, balanced additive system to meet the demands of modern diesel and gasoline engines.

Andy

vito113 said:
I thought so too, but I checked with stealer and BP (who own Castrol) and they say modern diesel oils are OK. Oils are apparently interchangeable now to help fleet managers keep down cost, ie only need to stock one oil. They sent me the blurb below.

Vanellus C5 Global SAE 15W-40
Vanellus C5 Global is a premium SAE 15W-40 commercial mixed fleet engine oil formulated from high quality mineral base oils and a superior, balanced additive system to meet the demands of modern diesel and gasoline engines.

Andy

Because these aren't "proper" diesel oils, they are high detergency multi use oil.
My oil-burner lubes with diesel specific, synthetic oil. Not for your nancy petrols. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom