Best tyre dressing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I started to apply the coating this evening.

Here is the brand new and cleaned (for posterity, really) inner sidewall. I thought that I'd start with the in we wall in order to get a feeling for application.

9BB0597C-D097-425D-BF2B-0646DF6B28BD.jpeg

After the first pass

F9BB4039-BB16-4084-806C-66CBE8B66E1C.jpeg

after the second pass. I ended up giving each sidewall about two or three layers, mainly because there are so many vertical fins in the sidewall of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 that I wanted to ensure comprehensive coverage of the tyre 'Tuf Shine' lacquer.

D5924370-2D26-4BE2-BBA8-217F3E3AA05C.jpeg

This is how it appears now after a couple of hours, albeit, there are different lighting conditions

5C7FEC98-2516-425B-AFF1-886315D90CED.jpeg

I want to edit my post for speeling, but I cannot see an obvious way to do it on a desktop browser... is this possible?

I want to edit my post for speeling, but I cannot see an obvious way to do it on a desktop browser... is this possible?

Looks like the ability to edit our own posts may have been removed!

I can see that i can not edit my own posts too!

Edit: Looks like you can but only within a certain time period (just like i am doing so now hah)

Looks like the ability to edit our own posts may have been removed!

I can see that i can not edit my own posts too!

Edit: Looks like you can but only within a certain time period (just like i am doing so now hah)

On a desktop browser? What's the time period and where does it appear? I looked multiple times after posting last night.

I woke up nice and early today on a beautiful and peaceful morning. I never appreciated how much I value serenity and lockdown has delivered that in abundance for our normally noisy neighbourhood. Nevertheless, I digress.

This is the outside of the tyre wall completed last night (one pass) when compared to the rear which had two or three.

43CDB843-B0E9-4942-998C-725E8A2A471D.jpeg

D67FB559-58B0-4284-8AAD-015BB6A8157C.jpeg

190F5815-2E54-4879-A645-97883DAA1AE3.jpeg

I then gave a good going over to the remaining sidewalls. As mentioned above, it's quite tough to have confidence in a uniform application with the sponge provided, because of the multitude of vertical fins. I may therefore have applied slightly more than one would for a smooth tyre face, but I am satisfied that it was applied consistently and evenly.

I also ensured that I applied the lacquer to the 'bead' where the tyre meets the alloys as this has the potential to get dirty and ruin the look. Once I had tackled each wheel individually, I then also gave each a pass with the sponge and depleted the remaining liquid which was retained in the sponge. I also left them to cure whilst lying flat as I noticed that when left standing, the liquid was inclined to gather in the fins, according to the effect of gravity.

AD5BC1BD-7E6C-423F-9359-88EBE68474C8.jpeg

Ive tried plenty and recently purchased some some Gyeon and i am really impressed with it so far.

I am using Armourall on the recommendation of a guy who valets cars for the trade. Cheap enough and works OK for me.

E152BB37-E651-4C2C-92B0-A9A6F6FAE83C.jpeg
Wheels fitted and scrubbed this evening. I won't have a clue how Tuf Shine performs for months and months at this rate.

I woke up nice and early today on a beautiful and peaceful morning. I never appreciated how much I value serenity and lockdown has delivered that in abundance for our normally noisy neighbourhood. Nevertheless, I digress.

This is the outside of the tyre wall completed last night (one pass) when compared to the rear which had two or three.

View attachment 94920

View attachment 94921

View attachment 94922

I then gave a good going over to the remaining sidewalls. As mentioned above, it's quite tough to have confidence in a uniform application with the sponge provided, because of the multitude of vertical fins. I may therefore have applied slightly more than one would for a smooth tyre face, but I am satisfied that it was applied consistently and evenly.

I also ensured that I applied the lacquer to the 'bead' where the tyre meets the alloys as this has the potential to get dirty and ruin the look. Once I had tackled each wheel individually, I then also gave each a pass with the sponge and depleted the remaining liquid which was retained in the sponge. I also left them to cure whilst lying flat as I noticed that when left standing, the liquid was inclined to gather in the fins, according to the effect of gravity.

View attachment 94923
I wish my wheels looked that clean!

I have been using the Autoglym Tyre Gel which does go a long way for the price , it does tend to be a bit shiny and also has a tendency to flick up off the wheels onto the body work if you don’t get it all rubbed in . I might have to up my game and try the Gyeon

Now that I have fitted the winter alloys and tyres, I washed the summer alloys with Bilt Hamber auto wheel - the grime came off well with a blast from the pressure washer and a scrub where necessary from my 'wheel woollie'. When protected with Bilt Hamber double speed wax, the lacquer is well protected against brake dust etc...

Nevertheless, the point of this thread revival is to report on the longevity of the 'Tuf Shine' - I have covered 9,000 miles and the car has been in the over at the workshop a couple of times since application.

y4mIxdrLh5XQ5LTzau8SOxVicI80SEAwcX7ksdntaQ1eG-Kfu4jKqkIF_fZMt_XTgmbN26hSTRIfWVzDPVCsSOy_KO1BQOESTV4HHalyT0tdhENVNj7xdJODzkwIoUZ1eWMK5ykF_xpuX4LwtVB8ZiTcbxNRS2GVVdCS0rUjqnZntzjjUUXqfXOTAZioUIu-8TX

y4m-sHV8AzC7AmTVltvwKgzlSRSGmYDpvsDqX7xbMFCR8-MMOX5biENytFXXhlWJ-U7wM-I8VaTwZWR7GEfQ3BBfduo7m5OwWbzFYOR1BUKLVsKxE40BtSOWesqv5f8_ycwMIAGBvVvGbPEzhsxi8E-Wfdp5R33R48J-J_zuAxZFJTD6ZdYi61KPKCQPsEb6RD7

y4mAgCx1GRTcPJ6Gjah5wDNsmkhZ1-tkDuj6Hn_pU9zfOvAuXv-P3vzvYJ-ztrR5H5ZsERAG2t8a-hC8ZSgE_MhJKuHBXMocuBdG1QIhcQcx4rmOzQJFix53MaAZwYvpqhkiXSKcKJv_fPYxhddJSfAAcefqdawUSpl3I5QOs-yvuyOjZNrLa-ZIuPo3GHpNXyz

This was without touching the wall of the tyre at all, save for a once over with the auto wheel and a spray. Though it appears to have lost its lustre (they weren't completely dry when I took the photos and stored them, as the textured fins on the Michelin design stores water), they are impressively untarnished and I would conclude that this product is durable and fit for purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom