Best tyres for 2013 CLS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattboocock

Car
2013 Merc CLS 350 CDI Blue Efficiency
Afternoon all,

looking for some new tyres for my 2013 CLS. Always fitted Michelin Pilot sport 4’s to my other non merc cars but apparently you can’t get them in this size 255/40zr18 99y????

what’s the next best??

Black circles seem to have PS4 in

255/40 R18 Y (99) XL​

Y not Z rated

Unfortunately I have not run on PS4's before

Mid range / Sub premium Hankook K127 in use here..........Must add they are only on an my S212. No complaints re wet/dry grip handling or stopping even when pressing on... Only an E220 CDI auto... so not driven to initiate progressive breakaway etc..

Last edited:
Black circles seem to have PS4

Unfortunately I have not run on PS4's before

Hankook K127 here
Thanks for advice re black circles! Never used them before!
Are the Hankook a good all round tyre? The CLS eats tyres!! Lol

Reactions: AW8
I edited last post a bit more info..........more below....

I read various tests before I bought Hankook K127. They probably won't be as good as PS4 in all round performance terms. I would like K127's a little quieter... but I am on staggered 18's & the 15mm lowered ,(gas shocks only to front) ,suspension - plus S212 is a fairly heavy car.

As for all round use..........I guess it depends how you drive BUT on fairly empty twisty roads I have pressed on at some pace at times......never found the tyres overly wanting.

Tyre wear ratings are a factor but I have driven cars with granite like tyres that last forever..........never again. Group tests likely only speculate on wear based on manufacturers quoted wear ratings (on press &/or spec sheets).

You might find the following site of interest

You can see links to group tests above.

The individual user reviews need viewing with an open mind. They seem to be based on road use....In road use the differences between similar tyres are unlikely to be noticed.

I always aim to have all tyres matching unless other axle rubber soon to be replaced.

Below is another good group test where you can compare PS4 to K127 & other tyres.

K127 near matched the PS4 for dry handling according to above test . The K127 came top in wet braking. PS4 notably superior for comfort, wet handling & straight aqua. The PS4 supposedly should last longer than K127s..assuming identical use and fitment. I spent ages looking at various specs, reviews & prices on various sites.

I got a very good deal on the Hankook K127 tyres.....otherwise I was considering Nexens.......not least because of price and because friendly very local independent tyre outfit has them on shelf or quickly available (useful in event of damage beyond repair especially in rarer sizes).

I like my car for what it is but car was initially bought with specific budget & task in mind.

My car is mostly driven sensibly & at legal speeds albeit I don't want it in a ditch. Some local nocturnal wildlife would probably have died if I had been on lesser tyres.

I would fit PS4 given a choice........but prob only if I had say an AMG or other higher performance car..........NOT on an E220 CDI , (unless sourced for a great price).

Must stop typing............I am even boring myself now ;):rolleyes:

Last edited:

I read various tests before I bought Hankook K127. They probably won't be as good as PS4 in all round performance terms. I would like K127's a little quieter... but I am on staggered 18's & the 15mm lowered ,(gas shocks only to front) ,suspension - plus S212 is a fairly heavy car.

As for all round use..........I guess it depends how you drive BUT on fairly empty twisty roads I have pressed on at some pace at times......never found the tyres overly wanting.

Tyre wear ratings are a factor but I have driven cars with granite like tyres that last forever..........never again. Group tests likely only speculate on wear based on manufacturers quoted wear ratings (on press &/or spec sheets).

The individual user reviews need viewing with an open mind. They seem to be based on road use....In road use the differences between similar tyres are unlikely to be noticed.

I always aim to have all tyres matching unless other axle rubber soon to be replaced.

Below is another good group test where you can compare PS4 to K127 & other tyres.

K127 near matched the PS4 for dry handling according to above test . The K127 came top in wet braking. PS4 notably superior for comfort, wet handling & straight aqua. The PS4 supposedly should last longer than K127s..assuming identical use and fitment. I spent ages looking at various specs, reviews & prices on various sites.

I got a very good deal on the Hankook K127 tyres.....otherwise I was considering Nexens.......not least because of price and because friendly very local independent tyre outfit has them on shelf or quickly available (useful in event of damage beyond repair especially in rarer sizes).

I like my car for what it is but car was initially bought with specific budget & task in mind.

My car is mostly driven sensibly & at legal speeds albeit I don't want it in a ditch. Some local nocturnal wildlife would probably have died if I had been on lesser tyres.

I would fit PS4 given a choice........but prob only if I had say an AMG or other higher performance car..........NOT on an E220 CDI , (unless sourced for a great price).

👍🏻👍🏻🤣🤣 thanks for the info! Much appreciated!! 😎🤓

👍🏻👍🏻🤣🤣 thanks for the info! Much appreciated!! 😎🤓
Well you said the CLS eats tyres,I would look at Nexen,they are very hard wearing,and nowhere near the price of the top makes,
Your the second person to say Nexon to me... about 30-40% cheaper than PS4’s apparently!👍🏻

Thanks for advice re black circles! Never used them before!
Are the Hankook a good all round tyre? The CLS eats tyres!! Lol
What mileage are you getting from the tyres on the CLS?

Presumably, the rears are wearing faster? I assume you have had a proper 4 wheel alignment carried out?

Also, do you have a heavy right foot?

Your engine produces a lot of torque at low engine rpm and if used with vigour will quickly wear tyres. My independent has a lady customer with an E320CDi like mine, (another engine with high torque at low rpm) she gets around 9000 miles from a rear set of Goodyear tyres.

My last set of Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 3 tyres lasted well over 20,000 miles

What mileage are you getting from the tyres on the CLS?

Presumably, the rears are wearing faster? I assume you have had a proper 4 wheel alignment carried out?

Also, do you have a heavy right foot?

Your engine produces a lot of torque at low engine rpm and if used with vigour will quickly wear tyres. My independent has a lady customer with an E320CDi like mine, (another engine with high torque at low rpm) she gets around 9000 miles from a rear set of Goodyear tyres.

My last set of Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 3 tyres lasted well over 20,000 miles
I’m getting about 12-14k miles on the rear and about 18k on the front, although my trackings gone on the front so the outside edges of passenger tyre wearing extremely quickly! (MB dealer said they were fine!😱)

so the plan is to get some new tyres and get the alignment done at the same time .

Well had them on my S320 that ate rear tyres and I was surprised how good they were,all the top brands do the same thing enter racing of some sort get a name up the price Nexen are doing the same and have their name on the Man C shirt,I put on what they called the Suv tyre they make my tyre fitter rang them up to find out if it was ok,and they said yes after all my and your cars are nearly two tons each,we do have guys who swear by the top makes,but I drove my car nowhere near the limit of it's road holding,I would blame myself if the back end came unstuck,these Nexen tyres are for the moment a great buy,in a couple of years they will be like the others top priced

It so depends what your priorities are. Comfort and quietness Goodyear AS5 or Dunlop Max RT. As this is my priority I have Goodyears on my car and Dunlops on my wifes SL. Both are significantly quieter and seem to last just as well. If you drive around with your pants on fire, then most on here would probably say PS4s. If its sheer value you are after then I have run both Accelera and Nexen on BMW M5s with no noticeable dissadvantages.

Well had them on my S320 that ate rear tyres and I was surprised how good they were,all the top brands do the same thing enter racing of some sort get a name up the price Nexen are doing the same and have their name on the Man C shirt,I put on what they called the Suv tyre they make my tyre fitter rang them up to find out if it was ok,and they said yes after all my and your cars are nearly two tons each,we do have guys who swear by the top makes,but I drove my car nowhere near the limit of it's road holding,I would blame myself if the back end came unstuck,these Nexen tyres are for the moment a great buy,in a couple of years they will be like the others top priced
I’ve got Nexen Nfera all round on the E320cdi and they were cheap as chips in 17’s . I’ve found them excellent and quiet

It so depends what your priorities are. Comfort and quietness Goodyear AS5 or Dunlop Max RT. As this is my priority I have Goodyears on my car and Dunlops on my wifes SL. Both are significantly quieter and seem to last just as well. If you drive around with your pants on fire, then most on here would probably say PS4s. If its sheer value you are after then I have run both Accelera and Nexen on BMW M5s with no noticeable dissadvantages.
I have recently fitted a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (but I drive like a daisy) all round, to replace a set of Pirelli Pzeros which we’re 2 years old with 4mm+ tread.

They seemed louder initially, but that seems to have settled significantly with a few miles under their belt, maybe my ears have just become used to them, but I’ve never noticed that when switching before.

I have no idea whether they will perform any better - I’m not a good enough driver to know - but I am very pleased with them now despite being slightly disappointed at first. They look lovely too 👍🏻

I didn't mention I have I have Nexen Nfera on the BMW Z3 2.2i (manual box) here. No rocket ship but more recently accepted by those in the know as a credible analogue drivers car. The one here is a modest 170Hp RWD & 0-60 around 7.5 secs...when new...I am too kind to the clutch & car to try best launch times in it now. Crucially the car genuinely communicates with the driver....poor tyres will not go un-noticed.

I think I have the earlier SU1 on it not SU2. very good tyre, good wear, good wet and dry grip and braking. Not as progressive as Conti Sport 2 but good enough that tend to lose bottle before car out of shape....on these tyres this is a rare occurence. Also impressed with lack of roll & low noise on current rubber.

I have driven this car quite progressively in all weathers & on other tyres. My review is based on driving it with mechanical sympathy but also enthusiasm, (when warmed up).

Another thing to consider with the Nexens is they come with a lifetime warranty for pothole damage. The owner may have to make part contribution depending on wear and mileage...some exclusions apply.Keep your receipt.

Prices can vary on all tyres...Nexens no exception. Best prices are from partner agents/outfits that sell lots of them.

Lastly I considered Fulda (disregarded as I had concerns re future quick availability in event of later pothole destruction). I have prior fitted falken ZE912 s albeit a few years when they were better value.

Finally ....Don't just look at brand names also look at different tyres specific manufacturers make. There can be significant differences in tyres that share the same brand name. Nexens & others make tyres suited for cars, SUVs , comfort, longevity & also more performance
focused..............look at their websites UK & elsewhere for specs & info.

Apologies if any of above is obvious to you or others.

HTH

Last edited:
On the Michelin website it appears that you can now get the 4S in the correct sizes and load indexes, but..............
Only one size, (the 285), gets the MO1 specification.
PS 4S 255.jpg

I have recently fitted a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (but I drive like a daisy) all round, to replace a set of Pirelli Pzeros which we’re 2 years old with 4mm+ tread.

They seemed louder initially, but that seems to have settled significantly with a few miles under their belt, maybe my ears have just become used to them, but I’ve never noticed that when switching before.

I have no idea whether they will perform any better - I’m not a good enough driver to know - but I am very pleased with them now despite being slightly disappointed at first. They look lovely too 👍🏻
Many thanks for the info... much appreciated 👍🏻

I didn't mention I have I have Nexen Nfera on the BMW Z3 2.2i (manual box) here. No rocket ship but more recently accepted by those in the know as a credible analogue drivers car. The one here is a modest 170Hp RWD & 0-60 around 7.5 secs...when new...I am too kind to the clutch & car to try best launch times in it now. Crucially the car genuinely communicates with the driver....poor tyres will not go un-noticed.

I think I have the earlier SU1 on it not SU2. very good tyre, good wear, good wet and dry grip and braking. Not as progressive as Conti Sport 2 but good enough that tend to lose bottle before car out of shape....on these tyres this is a rare occurence. Also impressed with lack of roll & low noise on current rubber.

I have driven this car quite progressively in all weathers & on other tyres. My review is based on driving it with mechanical sympathy but also enthusiasm, (when warmed up).

Another thing to consider with the Nexens is they come with a lifetime warranty for pothole damage. The owner may have to make part contribution depending on wear and mileage...some exclusions apply.Keep your receipt.

Prices can vary on all tyres...Nexens no exception. Best prices are from partner agents/outfits that sell lots of them.

Lastly I considered Fulda (disregarded as I had concerns re future quick availability in event of later pothole destruction). I have prior fitted falken ZE912 s albeit a few years when they were better value.

Finally ....Don't just look at brand names also look at different tyres specific manufacturers make. There can be significant differences in tyres that share the same brand name. Nexens & others make tyres suited for cars, SUVs , comfort, longevity & also more performance
focused..............look at their websites UK & elsewhere for specs & info.

Apologies if any of above is obvious to you or others.

HTH
Thanks for all this . Good point on Nexon lifetime warranty.. sounds unique?

Reactions: AW8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom