Best tyres for for a Vito in a field

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shumart

Car
Vito Dualiner 113
I'm planning on using my W639 to tow a caravan to Glastonbury festival next year. The trouble is I've noticed the Vito is absolutely useless on wet grass.
Has anyone any experience with fitting chunkier tyres to get over this problem?
Ive for a spare set of 16" steel wheels I can fit some tyres to, I could just get a set of Mud Terrain tyres.
Is this going too far?

Hi. It does seem a bit extreme just to tow the caravan a few 100m on the grass. In the event of a problem would snow chains be a cheaper & easier solution? If you don't need them all well & good & if you do then easily fitted in 10 minutes. Plenty of people there to push you too. They presumably have tractors & the like to assist people who are stuck to.

I've noticed the Vito is absolutely useless on wet grass.

Really? Ours has been driven in and out of wet/muddy fields most weekends for the last 12 years without any trouble ... often towing a 1500kg caravan! Remember the Vito (apart from the old W638) is RWD, so having weight on the towbar helps traction.

As mentioned if conditions are really bad there will be dozens of people with Discoverys etc. itching to show off their 4WD by giving you a tow. We have only once taken advantage of that after a week at a really boggy site where the caravan wheels had noticeably sunk into the ground. A neighbour with a Freelander offered to pull the caravan onto better ground, and I drove the Vito out. That's using factory spec. Continental Vanco tyres. I do keep a set of 'grip mats' in the front locker of the caravan just in case, but have never used them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom