Best tyres for SL63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c63chris

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
A regular occurrence with this car obviously but need new rears. Currently has P Zeros on and not impressed with them. Seem to break loose and lose traction with little provocation. Looking at PS2s and PSS from Michelin and Conti 5Ps. 285/30 19" so interested in anyone's experience of this size and duty. Can always try something different as with a couple of Race Starts they will need changing [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've heard good things about Goodyear Eagle F1 A3's and Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2's. The Uniroyal Rainsports are also well thought of but don't come in a 285/30 19 unfortunately, i here that this size is coming though.

I've just had Goodyear Eagle F1s A3s on my A250 and they are a much better tyre than the Continentals they have replaced.
£108.00 per corner fitted, well chuffed with these tyres will be sticking with the Goodyears from now on.
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

Same size as the rears on my E63.

P Zeros are fine until they are part worn (say 4mm - 5mm tread remaining) and/or it's cold at which point they're spectacularly awful.

Conti 5P's were pretty good, even in cold weather when worn. Much better than the P Zeros, but just as noisy.

I'm minded to try out the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's when I take the winter Mich PA4's off in another month or two. Part of the attraction is that they're even quieter than the PA4's which are themselves a revolution in tranquillity after the Pirelli's and Conti's.

Last edited:
Same size as the rears on my E63.

P Zeros are fine until they are part worn (say 4mm - 5mm tread remaining) and/or it's cold at which point they're spectacularly awful.

Conti 5P's were pretty good, even in cold weather when worn. Much better than the P Zeros, but just as noisy.

I'm minded to try out the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's when I take the winter Mich PA4's off in another month or two. Part of the attraction is that they're even quieter than the PA4's which are themselves a revolution in tranquillity after the Pirelli's and Conti's.

Exactly the problem I have! 4mm left on the rears which are P Zeros and the seem to have a death wish in the current conditions. Didn't know Goodyears came in this size so will have a look. Do they handle as well as Michelins? Was think Pilot Super Sports on the rears and PS4 for the fronts. Like Conti's though they don't seem to last.

I have Pilot Supersports on the Maser and they seem far better than the PZero Rosso's that were on previously. I don't drive it in the winter or the rain though. I was just looking for the best dry performance tyre I could get. I don't do many miles in it either only 2500 in last 2 years. Not sure that is helping!

The SL55 I had a while back had mid range tyres on and they were rubbish. No traction at all.

The S211 E55K had the right MO tyres. Conti's I think and they were fantastic. Tons of grip and felt so planted compare to the SL55.

I've heard good things about Eagle's and had the previous version before that were very good.

Yes the P-Zero consensus is that the suck in cold and wet conditions,ergo they should not be sold in the UK.

Yes the P-Zero consensus is that the suck in cold and wet conditions,ergo they should not be sold in the UK.

Went away this weekend in the SL, moped in front of me doing about 30 mph and a car coming the other way. No problem I think, plenty of space, foot down and pull out. Next thing I'm sliding at 45 degrees towards the moped! Would've looked a real showboat to the car behind!

I have Pilot Supersports on the Maser and they seem far better than the PZero Rosso's that were on previously. I don't drive it in the winter or the rain though. I was just looking for the best dry performance tyre I could get. I don't do many miles in it either only 2500 in last 2 years. Not sure that is helping!

The SL55 I had a while back had mid range tyres on and they were rubbish. No traction at all.

The S211 E55K had the right MO tyres. Conti's I think and they were fantastic. Tons of grip and felt so planted compare to the SL55.

I've heard good things about Eagle's and had the previous version before that were very good.

Do fancy PSS but the Goodyears are significantly cheaper and seem to be highly rated.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the Goodyear's. I don't do many miles in the Maser so cost isn't really a factor. If I did I would be going for the Goodyear's for sure.

We have got far too many cars so buying tyres is almost a monthly experience at the moment. In my experience P zeros get noisy when they are worn down to around 4mm. I have got Bridgestone Potenza RE05A on the SL55 as they are the OE spec for a SL55 Performance Package and probably for SL63 and 65. I would rate them as OK rather than superb. I have just fitted Goodyear F1 assymetric 3 to a VW Golf R32 and have to say that they are probably the best tyre I have ever had. Handles great , good roadholding, quiet and significantly better ride than the previous P zeros or Dunlop sport Maxx before that. Gets my recommendation.

i run pilot super sports on my cl63, i rate them very highly, they are as good on the road a pilot cups i ran om my 911

i would highly recommend them

I suspect P4S will come out in your rear size soon enough.

I am on my second set of Pilot Super Sports on my GT3 .. superb tyre, quite long lasting too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom