Best way to buy channel crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
Hi

It's my fave time of year when I try to sort out the family hol. Looking to go to France agai, will take the big beast and am trying to find the best rates for channel crossings. Currenlty varying from £900:eek: Hull Zeebrugge to just over £300 for the tunnel.

Will look at and option - but want to get the best deal poss. Sadly, we are stuck with August.

Any ideas anybody?

Join the Eurotunnel E-mail scheme. I have never paid more than 180pounds for a crossing. Basically they let you know when the deals are on and you just book straight away. Went in August the year before last and it cost 150.

Marcos

pammy said:
from £900:eek: Hull Zeebrugge
Whoa! That's expensive! It's only about £150 for the Harwich-Hoek Van Holland ferry, which only takes 3.5 hours :) . If you DO take that ferry, it's a good idea to send someone nimble in first to grab some seats OR spend the extra £7 per person and get the Panorama Lounge tickets :D . I did that last time, it's worth it for the free tea/coffee which costs about £2.50 a go in the ferry Cafés as it is! :)

Shude said:
spend the extra £7 per person and get the Panorama Lounge tickets :D . I did that last time, it's worth it for the free tea/coffee which costs about £2.50 a go in the ferry Cafés as it is! :)

The Panorama lounge is accessed by a 4 digit code on the lock. I think it was 7637 last time I went but it pays to be eagle eyed!

:bannana:

Tigger said:
The Panorama lounge is accessed by a 4 digit code on the lock. I think it was 7637 last time I went but it pays to be eagle eyed!

:bannana:
It wasn't even locked last time I used it, the glass door just pushed open.

Hi Pammy,
As a casual booze cruiser I dont personally know about ferry crossings for long stays but my neighbour has a caravan and says he gets up to a 75% discount on ferry bookings by booking through the caravan club. You dont need to take or even own a caravan but you do have to be a member, which costs about £27 a year.
Must be worth a look if the savings are going to be substantial.

Motard said:
Hi Pammy,

Where are you heading to in France?

Bob
Hopefully the Dordogne, Sarlat:D a place we've been to loads before and adore. Haven't been in August before though, manahed to go in June and just tooko the sprogs out of school. Can't do that now tho:(

kikkthecat said:
Hi Pammy,
As a casual booze cruiser I dont personally know about ferry crossings for long stays but my neighbour has a caravan and says he gets up to a 75% discount on ferry bookings by booking through the caravan club. You dont need to take or even own a caravan but you do have to be a member, which costs about £27 a year.
Must be worth a look if the savings are going to be substantial.
I'll just have to give that a look:D

Thanks all for the tips, working through them;)

I've just booked the Tunnel for my skiing trip at £143 (the other options were over £300) - someone's already posted about getting on their e-mail list, I would endorse that and if you're not too worried about timings then travel through the night at the less popular hours, that may bring the price down even more.

HTH

R

Hi Pammy,

Way back in history Brits used to own the Dordogne I believe, from what I hear they almost have it back!
I am sure you know that August is mobbed in France and you need to make all your reservations early. Hope this August is cooler than the last!
You will be too far away to invite for a mini GTG unfortunately.

Bob

Motard said:
You will be too far away to invite for a mini GTG unfortunately.

Bob
But I wont :D , do I drive, fly or walk taking into consideration of recent posts.

Newhaven - Dieppe Seacat is looking the most promising atm. App £250, £200 more of we go 1st class - which we might, better check in etc - unless anyone can tell us this is a waste of £200

Ian B Walker said:
But I wont :D , do I drive, fly or walk taking into consideration of recent posts.

Cheapest way for you is to fly Ryan Air and hire a car here. Should have the dates sorted early next week, next step will be to book the flights.

Have you looked at that option Pammy?

Motard said:
Cheapest way for you is to fly Ryan Air and hire a car here. Should have the dates sorted early next week, next step will be to book the flights.

Have you looked at that option Pammy?
Yeah - but it's the luggage and getting to Stansted and car parking for three weeks and so on and so forth that make that less desirable - plus we can't bring back as much as we might want to;) Nice thought though - thanks:)

PS - just did a quick check on the cost anyway - as you do - it would be at least £250 each - so £1000 in total - plus car. It is what we did last year though when we went to the south of Spain.

Flew Leeds Bradford to Malaga and hired cars - worked out really well. That was hot too:cool: :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom