Best way to clean out Windscreen reservoir

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Does anyone know the best way to clean the gunk out of the windscreen reservoir.

Vehicle is a ML163.

Thanks

dokalj

Depends how easy it is to get to. I'd disconnect it, remove it from car and hose it out. That's what I did on my CLK, but I was replacing the washer pump at the time.

Not sure if this will help as we run BMW 5's at work. However the washing fluid does tend to get a little bit 'cat wee' smelling every now and then, think it the garage boss putting his own additive in to prevent folks filling up their own motors bottles!!

We cover up the bits in the engine bay we dont want to get wet and stick in the nozzel of the steam cleaner for a few second or so, this blast all the gunk off, then over fill the bottle till is spills clear. Not to be done in time of water shortage!!

Not sure if this will help as we run BMW 5's at work. However the washing fluid does tend to get a little bit 'cat wee' smelling every now and then, think it the garage boss putting his own additive in to prevent folks filling up their own motors bottles!!

We cover up the bits in the engine bay we dont want to get wet and stick in the nozzel of the steam cleaner for a few second or so, this blast all the gunk off, then over fill the bottle till is spills clear. Not to be done in time of water shortage!!

Unfortunately I do not own a steam cleaner :doh:

Anyone know how to remove the reservoir? Will I loose the windscreen fluid in the process, plus spilling it over the engine bay?

Thanks

dokalj

No need.

Put a quantity of Jayes fluid in there and leave it overnight. Then expend it all via the usual means and refill with clean water. Run that through and refill with good screen wash. Then rinse the car to get rid of the Jayes from the bodywork.

If you use a good quality screenwash, there are anti-bacterial agents in there to stop this happening again.

Half an hour to do - easy!

No need.

Put a quantity of Jayes fluid in there and leave it overnight. Then expend it all via the usual means and refill with clean water. Run that through and refill with good screen wash. Then rinse the car to get rid of the Jayes from the bodywork.

If you use a good quality screenwash, there are anti-bacterial agents in there to stop this happening again.

Half an hour to do - easy!

Will try, thanks corned :thumb:

Is this the right stuff?

Jeyes Fluid Original

Also, do I just put it in with my existing fluid or flush first then put in the Jeyes? Does the Jeyes need to be concentrated or diluted with water?

Or could I use normal APC?

dokalj

Aye, that's the stuff.

I'm not entirely sure, the bottle will tell you far more safely that I can, but you will need no more concentration than one part in four or five to kill off any nasties in there.

If I remember correctly, it is clear but will turn cloudy when poured into water. Just mix it in a big jug or something like that, then pour into the reservoir. Don't worry about what is already in there - it will not matter. Then just top up with clean water to ensure the whole reservoir is covered.

Last edited:
Try using Hydrogen Peroxide: kill nasties and degrades to nothing more than water and oxygen.

Try using Hydrogen Peroxide: kill nasties and degrades to nothing more than water and oxygen.

But also strips paint better than nitromorse in the wrong concentrations, also does not kill bugs such as legionnaires etc. Stick with the Jeyes fluid much safer and kills much more nasties. The hydrogen peroxide available for sale to the general public will do nothing other than maybe wreck the seals in the pump.:thumb:

But also strips paint better than nitromorse in the wrong concentrations, also does not kill bugs such as legionnaires etc. Stick with the Jeyes fluid much safer and kills much more nasties. The hydrogen peroxide available for sale to the general public will do nothing other than maybe wreck the seals in the pump.:thumb:

Your wrong on this, it does kill Legionella and is more effective than the likes of chlorine.

*Chemical Brand name removed* is the only DWI approved product which has full independent tests to​
demonstrate its complete effectiveness against
Legionella.

Last edited:
Your wrong on this, it does kill Legionella and is more effective than the likes of chlorine.

It does in the correct concentration I agree, but with what you can buy over the counter you could never get to that concentration, which was my point. You can only get about 3% - 8% at best which is good for bleaching hair or cleansing wounds. To do any good against bugs and bacteria you would need industrial strength H2O2 and that would definitely kill the washer pump. You would be better off using any of the other oxidising or bleaching agents that are available like chlorinated bleaches which would do a better job than H2O2 in weak concentrations.

Anyway Corned had it spot on Jeyes fluid is the best and safest bet by far :thumb:

It does in the correct concentration I agree, but with what you can buy over the counter you could never get to that concentration, which was my point. You can only get about 3% - 8% at best which is good for bleaching hair or cleansing wounds. To do any good against bugs and bacteria you would need industrial strength H2O2 and that would definitely kill the washer pump. You would be better off using any of the other oxidising or bleaching agents that are available like chlorinated bleaches which would do a better job than H2O2 in weak concentrations.

Anyway Corned had it spot on Jeyes fluid is the best and safest bet by far :thumb:

Thats a fair point you made about the concentration, however I'm not convinced it'll kill the washer pump or mark paint even at 200 ppm, I think I'll do a test on this to see what happens.

At 25ppm the chemical is odourless, colourless and does no dammage to you if its drunk etc. and thats the ind concentration

I'll do a test this week to see if I'm worng.:p

Thats a fair point you made about the concentration, however I'm not convinced it'll kill the washer pump or mark paint even at 200 ppm, I think I'll do a test on this to see what happens.

At 25ppm the chemical is odourless, colourless and does no dammage to you if its drunk etc. and thats the ind concentration

I'll do a test this week to see if I'm worng.:p

Good luck:thumb: I'd be concerned about the reaction between the H2O2 and the seals in the washer pump as at certain concentrations (not sure what the limits are) it desulphurises them and causes them to go brittle at least it does in industrial applications which is why you have to be careful what type of pumps and seals you use to pump the solutions.

Also in the presence of small quantities of Iron or Titanium the peroxide will form Fenton's reagent which will make it a lot more aggressive than just a normal solution of H2O2.

Best of luck and I look forward to your results as if it does work at low concentrations then it would be a nice simple solution (pardon the pun) to the gunky washer bottle as I do have to admit although Jeyes fluid works well it takes an eternity to get rid of the smell, happy experimenting :thumb:

Milton, for babies bottles, works a teat!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom