Best way to fix a number plate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

removed

Car
~
Just got a new tax disc for a [somewhat] personalised number plates :cool:

Now, I got 24hrs to put them on, apparently. So, what's the best way to fix it - never had to do it before myself (fixing a UK number plate that is)? I got some sticky pads, that came with the plates, and quite like the idea of a 'clean' plate without screws, but am not sure that would hold it sufficiently? Is there any magic trick to make sure I don't loose the plates on some country road?

If using the pads make sure both surfaces are scrupulously clean - that gives the pads the best chance to do their job.

Personally, I like the Mercedes 4 bolt fixing pattern - mark of the marque IMO

Have used the pads many times with no problems. Just make sure everything is very clean first. They stick really firmly.

I'm with LTD screws are far better.the sticky pads will work fine but makes life easier for the lowlife to rip them off as has happened to me

I to have used the thin sticky pads on the front and the thick ones on the back.. They are really good..

I got mine from halfords.. :thumb:

As mentioned, the sticky pads are completely solid provided both surfaces are completely clean & dry. Meths is a quick & easy way to achieve this.

If there's any curvature of the panel that plate is going on to you can get different thicknesses - use thicker tape at each end.

Used stickys on a Hyundai and worked fine, the current car came with it screwed, can't say that either method bothers me particularly.

Have used the pads many times with no problems. Just make sure everything is very clean first. They stick really firmly.

I was expecting pads to be the full size of a number plate, but they are just 1" wide strips, so I'm a bit concerned as to how strong they are :rolleyes:

Will have a look at four screws pattern - never paid much attention to a plate already on a car LOL

I'm with LTD screws are far better.the sticky pads will work fine but makes life easier for the lowlife to rip them off as has happened to me

Ah, something I haven't considered ... perhaps screws are better after all

Used stickys on a Hyundai and worked fine, the current car came with it screwed, can't say that either method bothers me particularly.

I'm with you on this - never actually paid much attention as to how plates are fixed, don't think I ever had one on sticky pads though. This is the first time I had to make a decision and fix the plates myself LOL Well, first time UK plates that is - Bahamas plates are just like the US ones - pressed metal and square-ish, so no dilemma: four screws and that's it. Got a back frame similar to what rascalmaster has suggested, can post a pic, if anyone is interested :rolleyes:

I was expecting pads to be the full size of a number plate, but they are just 1" wide strips, so I'm a bit concerned as to how strong they are :rolleyes:

Will have a look at four screws pattern - never paid much attention to a plate already on a car LOL

I use strips for the clean look. They should be nearly as tall as the plate. The method is to use at least 5 strips per plate. 2 evenly spaced toward each ends and one diagonally across the middle. Add more if desired but 5 should work fine.

The plate is likely to be damaged if anyone tries to rip it off.

I use strips for the clean look. They should be nearly as tall as the plate. The method is to use at least 5 strips per plate. 2 evenly spaced toward each ends and one diagonally across the middle. Add more if desired but 5 should work fine.

The plate is likely to be damaged if anyone tries to rip it off.

Great, thanks! That's the kind of instruction I was looking for - "Fixing Number Plates for Dummies" :thumb: ...
So the pads I got with the plates are okay, apparently - they are just as you described :bannana: - eight short and two long ones. Excellent.

Proper number plate sticky strip is much harder for low-lifes to deal with. Screws simply require a small screwdriver and a few seconds.

Sticky strip, if done properly, requires at least half an hour with a hot air blower to stand any chance of removing them. Much more secure, and I can speak from personal experience. I bought an XJ-S many years ago which came still with the previous owner's plates on. Took me bloody ages to get them off, and required the use of a hot air blower applied to the whole plate, and time to get the heat to permeate through to the stickies, to soften them up enough to prise the plates off.

Don't tell me they're not secure this way!

Proper number plate sticky strip is much harder for low-lifes to deal with. Screws simply require a small screwdriver and a few seconds.

<...>

Don't tell me they're not secure this way!

Great, thanks - that removes the last doubt I might still have had, till now :thumb: Really wanted to keep it clean and simple - it's an old and plain everyday car so going for a flashy frame etc wasn't really an option :cool:

I'll reserve this idea for a new car - these frames might look a bit OTT for the current one - it's a 10yr old A160 :rolleyes:

naah; i'm sure your car is lovely!

if you think mine are a bit OTT; you can always get a plane frame...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom