Best way to Jump start w220 s320cdi 2002

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamjobson

Car
w220 2002 sclass 320cdi
Hi,

I have read numerous posts regarding flat batteries and the dreaded battery drain fault, unfortunately I seem to have developed the same problem.

Currently my battery is totally flat I can't even turn the key in the ignition.
Should I remove my battery from the car and charge it, get a surge protected booster pack, try a jump start, i just want to get it running to get it to the garage to get looked at.

Thanks in advance

Adam.

If you have a battery charger, why not start the charging process, probably better than getting a boost pack ?

Don't have either at the minute, was thinking both have good and bad points.
A charger means I can get it nice and fully charged ready for the garage, but a booster if i get stranded somewhere.

My only concern is damaging something.

Thanks

Adam.

I have been looking all over the forums and on the internet and it recommends never jump starting due to surges and spikes, resulting in damaging delicate electrical components mainly the SAM. Am I being paranoid I have jumped and bump started cars for years with no problems but really don't want to break anything on this car.

Thanks.

The manual does not say to jump start from a second vehicle, but from another 12v battery that is not fitted in a vehicle.

However, while most people will have access to a second vehicle, few will have access to a spare 12v battery.

If you don't fancy removing the battery from your other vehicle (assuming you have access to one), then the next sensible approach would be to remove the battery from the Merc and trickle-charge is.

Like you, I have been jump starting cars from other cars for years without a problem, but you are not being paranoid and the risk is very much there so this is best avoided where possible.

I have been looking all over the forums and on the internet and it recommends never jump starting due to surges and spikes, resulting in damaging delicate electrical components mainly the SAM. Am I being paranoid I have jumped and bump started cars for years with no problems but really don't want to break anything on this car.

Thanks.

These things happen alright, if the job isn’t done correctly, had you not asked, then you could well have made complete balls of it but as you now have the instructions and a video you should be ok, if you follow the instructions above.

I’ve jump started a W211 in the same way with no problems.

Dec

The manual does not say to jump start from a second vehicle, but from another 12v battery that is not fitted in a vehicle.

However, while most people will have access to a second vehicle, few will have access to a spare 12v battery.

If you don't fancy removing the battery from your other vehicle (assuming you have access to one), then the next sensible approach would be to remove the battery from the Merc and trickle-charge is.

Like you, I have been jump starting cars from other cars for years without a problem, but you are not being paranoid and the risk is very much there so this is best avoided where possible.

You might have missed it Mark, read manual page 360 again.

Dec

You might have missed it Mark, read manual page 360 again.

Dec

I am currently away from a computer and using the app on my phone so could not go through the manual that you linked, but I should have made it clearer that I was referring to my own car's manual (2006 C-Class). The manufacturer's recommendations for other MB models might be different.

The key thing to avoid is connecting jump leads from another car whilst it is running. Always connect the leads and then start the other car.
Been doing it that way for years and have probably jump started well into the thousands of broken down old mercs this way.
Never fried any SAMs or the like.
An Indy I spoke to about this believes it's when people connect the leads to the wrong polarity that it starts to fry stuff.

Most people just repeat the 5th hand scare stories that they've read on the internet.

I always recommend following the manufacturers procedure in the hand book though!

Going to play it safe and get a charger tomorrow or Monday remove the battery to minimize any risk of damage hopefully I haven't lost too many settings and won't get too many warnings.

Thanks for you reassurance and advice.

Adam.

Connecting a freshly charged battery will arguably cause the biggest voltage spike of all. Theoretically, connecting jump leads is safer. A dead battery works to smooth any voltage spikes and most jump leads will not be heavy duty enough to avoid any voltage drop from the other battery / vehicle.

You'll have to reset the windows and sunroof and your trip meters will be cleared, but that's it.

I saw that in the book, it doesn't look to bad resetting windows and sunroof.

When you buy a new battery are they fully charged?
What about giving it half a charge then driving for a while?

Batteries should be fully charged when you buy them. I put a new one in without problems. Resetting the windows and sunroof was easy enough and I also had to reset the ESP warning on mine as well. If you get that, start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock 3 times, turn off the ignition for 10 seconds then restart.

Why did the battery go flat anyway?
Is it the original factory fitted battery or do you know how old it is?

Dec

Thanks looking at getting a smart charger tomorrow but disconnecting just to be safe.
Fingers crossed. I'm pretty confident this method will be ok.

Thanks

Connecting a freshly charged battery will arguably cause the biggest voltage spike of all. Theoretically, connecting jump leads is safer. A dead battery works to smooth any voltage spikes and most jump leads will not be heavy duty enough to avoid any voltage drop from the other battery / vehicle.

You'll have to reset the windows and sunroof and your trip meters will be cleared, but that's it.

Half way through a flat battery recharge, saw the above and thought good point, connected battery up, all seems ok, trip still on same numbers, no resetting needed, will wait for the trickle charger to arrive before continuing. New number plates arrive Tuesday then booking it into Wayne Gates for an alarm siren change !!

Why did the battery go flat anyway?
Is it the original factory fitted battery or do you know how old it is?

Dec

Not sure how the battery went flat it was only left for two days so some further investigation into that is needed.

I charged the disconnected battery for around 8 hours when I first started the charging it was at 8v charged till it read 12v connected back into the car and no problems to report apart from the windows, sunroof and esp light but all sorted as per the manual.

Thanks to all for your help and advice wish me luck into diagnosing the power drain. Ps I have had the battery and alternator tested and there both fine.

Thanks again.
Adam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom