Best way to mark number plate for drilling holes without a template plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve never used frames, but after reading this thread I thought I’d have a look (just on eBay for starters) for a pair for my Volvo.

Nothing came up under 'Wurth' but there were some claiming, presumably as a virtue, "easy number plate removal, no tools required".........

i gathered that the Wurth ones need a tool, but the tool was available on eBay!

What price security, it seems the most secure way would be to belts and braces - the heavy duty pads which stick like messy stuff to a blanket, as described above, with screws as well to make sure the plate doesn’t go wonky.

(Apologies for straying slightly off topic)

Please be aware that if you opt for the "Drill two Hole" method, you have more than a 50 - 50 Chance of Drilling through either a Letter or Number!:rolleyes:

Then you need either Plastic Bolts/Screws, in Black or Yellow and sometimes both, as the Hole is half in and half out of the Number or Letter :eek:

I’ve never used frames, but after reading this thread I thought I’d have a look (just on eBay for starters) for a pair for my Volvo.

Nothing came up under 'Wurth' but there were some claiming, presumably as a virtue, "easy number plate removal, no tools required".........

i gathered that the Wurth ones need a tool, but the tool was available on eBay!

What price security, it seems the most secure way would be to belts and braces - the heavy duty pads which stick like messy stuff to a blanket, as described above, with screws as well to make sure the plate doesn’t go wonky.

(Apologies for straying slightly off topic)

5secs on google:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IG9BK7O/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

^Yes that’s the easiest way if you have try square in your toolbox
Use the old plate as a square or an envelope, coaster anything really your finger against the edge of the plate and draw a line ;)
I tend to move a plate slightly to the left or right so its not half a hole off when im fitting plates

Last edited:
Put a strip of masking tape over the license plate cut to length and mark where the edges are on the plate.

Put masking tape over the holes mark with pencil, peel off and centre over the license plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom