Best way to play the Used Mercedes Salesman game?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DominoD7

Hello all,

There seems to be some pretty experienced MB buyers here so I thought I'd ask the best way you guys approach the buying process. I am going to drop in on a MB dealer on the weekend that happens to have my perfect spec car in stock but will probably make out I'm a casual browser- they appear to give very little off if they think your after a specific car.
As I'm partial to getting a good deal A few points I thought u guys might have some info on-

A) does the end of month / quarter thing help to negotiate extra discount or is that an urban myth?

B) every time I've been in they seem more interested in selling paint protection, gap insurance and extra warranty's- if you strip all that away does that affect your discount on the car?

C) Car I'm looking at is 18k and has just arrived -what kind of discount would you expect to negotiate?

I know it's all general speculation and often car specific with their current stock but I'd be interested to hear how you played it?

D7

A) In my experience, end of month, quarter especially Q4 is when Sales Managers are looking to at least achieve their targets. This may well lead to you being able to negotiate a better deal.
B) They have always raised these issues after I have agreed the car deal
C) This depends on the popularity of the car.
My approach is to review the vehicle details before visiting the dealership as you have done but also have an idea of what I want to pay for it. So if the car you are looking at is say £20k and you know your car in Part Ex is worth £8k you need to find £12k. I then go to peruse their stock until the Salesman approaches. I usually give the impression that "I am just looking at the moment" and let him talk me into something more. I will then tell him that I can only spend upto say £10k plus my own car in part exchange. That gives the Salesman room for manouvre on what he offers for your car and how much he can deduct from the "new" one in order to win your order. I sometimes practice this technique just to keep my hand in.

Sounds like a good plan, I've definitely noticed the more interest you show in a car the less they offer. I've had some great deals offered unfortunately its been on models I've no intention of buying.
No part ex so it limits one of the equations for negotiation.

Peter's plan is exactly the approach I used when buying my car. It was also timed one month before the next number plate change, which I don't care about as I use my own plate and keep cars for a long time.

I have to tell you, though, that I was most impressed by the salesman with whom I dealt, he knew his job and did it well. The eventual deal satisfied me, but I have no doubt it also satisfied his objectives too.

Depends on the dealership really, some are much more willing to negotiate than others.

I'd say tipping up at the Dealers the weekend of a number plate change is about the worst time to get a deal imho! :fail

sinewave said:
I'd say tipping up at the Dealers the weekend of a number plate change is about the worst time to get a deal imho! :fail

Why if the OP is looking at a used car? Genuine question as I'm hopeless at this stuff

Time to strike for a Used Car is when you know that Used Car sales are slow and New Car sales are heading high.

The dealership will want to clear space and that is your time to strike.

Tell them what you want and be prepared to walk away leaving them your phone number.

I didn't think a number plate change would have much impact on used cars that 2-4 years old? I was thinking month end would be a good time for sales figures and targets?

I didn't think a number plate change would have much impact on used cars that 2-4 years old? I was thinking month end would be a good time for sales figures and targets?

More trade-ins ....

In my case, I had approached the dealer looking for an ex-demonstrator, up to twelve months old, but having explained the amount of cash that I was prepared to add to my six year old Audi, was able to buy a new car. It probably helped that I wanted an Elegance, not a Sport, as I don't care for the aggressive appearance of the Sport front, and actively wished to avoid silver, black, and washing machine white.

In my case, I had approached the dealer looking for an ex-demonstrator, up to twelve months old, but having explained the amount of cash that I was prepared to add to my six year old Audi, was able to buy a new car. It probably helped that I wanted an Elegance, not a Sport, as I don't care for the aggressive appearance of the Sport front, and actively wished to avoid silver, black, and washing machine white.
John, I quite fancied white for my next car but your description has put me off!!!

It will take a couple of weeks for used car stock to peak.. mid month in march or sept..

The buyer at my office who was responsible for the purchase of company cars always tried to make us have white ones, as he said that it was possible to drive a harder bargain against a white car since the manufacturers made lots of them for stock because they used the white van facilities to spray the cars, and the dealers always struggled to fill their quotas of sales of white.

Hence the numbers of white cars driven by reps, and now the manufacturers have apparently succeeded in the confidence trick of making the gullible want white cars, and even paying extra.

And before anybody comes back about my beige W204 Estate, we both like the colour, and I have been complimented by a man in a car park about standing out from the crowd of silver and white cars.

The buyer in your office is talking BS. The vans are made in different factories for most mfr's

From my experience, a small tip

Wear casual clothes (jeans, sweat shirt etc) if you DON'T want to be attended to..

Wear a suit and tie if you want the sales staff to swoon around you all day!

Weird but true.. :D

From my experience, a small tip

Wear casual clothes (jeans, sweat shirt etc) if you DON'T want to be attended to..

Wear a suit and tie if you want the sales staff to swoon around you all day!

Weird but true.. :D

You're probably right. But you end up attracting the wrong salesperson.

How about:

- Do your research on similar cars (and i mean similar, no point comparing a dealer C250 to an E500 sold by mick and bobs car pitch)
- Dont play any games
- Be honest about what you want
- Ask them for their best deal
- Tell them what you want to pay based on your research
- Do a deal or dont if it doesnt suit.

Ironically, most salesman I know prefer customers who are upfront and honest rather than those who want to mess about playing games.

The buyer in your office is talking BS. The vans are made in different factories for most mfr's

BS or not, the company cars were known as "Bernie's white fleet" and he maintained that if the dealer made £50, he had failed.

Apart from the timing (my dealer always has a big event in January), what Jay says (he should know) reflects my experience. We know ourselves how our mindset changes once we are comitted to a model/purchase, rather than at the not quite ready, indecisive stage. I always state I am going to buy a such and such, and I'm just narrowing my choices down, so they know you mean business. After that, it's how your head rules your heart, and if you can have a laugh with them, so much the better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom