Best way to remove oil stain from drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanMuller

Car
C32 AMG
As above. Any tips? :-(

Pre soak with an all purpose cleaner like "Elbow Grease" from the £ shop.

Get an old brush/broom and work in. Rinse with warm water and repeat if necessary.

Depends what sort of drive, and how deeply it's soaked in.

On slabs and paviours, I've had success by using (clothes) washing powder, made into a thick smooth paste, and a stiff brush. Brushed in, and left on.

^ as said. 'Elbow Grease' is good stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

It's blue coloured concrete block paving whereby the oil spill has covered 2 blocks. I put rugs down, catch pan but still left a mark :(

I'll try your recommendations. I guess worst case I can just flip the block.

Anything that's a solvent for oil. Petrol would do it but white spirit is safer, followed by a scrub with washing up liquid and hot water.

Fresh oil shouldn't be too bad but once it soaks in you'll have a hell of a job shifting it! I worked on some stains from Mrs BTB's old Audi on and off for a couple of weeks and never entirely got rid of them.

If you can get the blocks up, turn them over.
Couple of large screwdrivers and wiggle them up.

I guess worst case I can just flip the block.

If you can get the blocks up, turn them over.

The blocks can only be laid one way up as they'll be a slight chamfer around the perimeter of the top edge.

Also, if you turn them over the built in spacer ribs will clash with the corresponding blocks so to lay the block upside down you'll have to grind the spacer ribs off. But that still leaves the sharp edge on show.

If you can't get the stain out maybe replace with new charcoal, (not blue) (unless the drive is well weathered) or swap with a few from somewhere less obvious (e.g. Around the side of the house :dk:)

Ant.

P.S. Blimey, I bored myself there!!! :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the pressure washer, after soaking it with fairy liquid?

I'd recommend an oil sucker for next time. I bought one recently and I'll never go back to faffing around under the car with a sump plug. Didn't spill a drop either.

Thanks everyone. I poured cola across the affected area and scrubbed like a mad man. Then hosed it down and repeated.

Got it out! Really pleased.

Edit: This is after using fairy liquid and a pressure washer twice.

Lesson learnt. Not to do oil changes on driveway and lay down more rugs / larger oil pan!

Last edited:
I poured Cola across the affected area..................

That's frightening. :eek:

If Cola can help remove oil from a concrete block goodness knows what it can do to your insides with prolonged consumption. :ban:

Any carbonated drink would likely have worked as effectively, and that carbon dioxide gas escapes as we drink it (burping) and isn't harmful.

+1 for washing up liquid, scrub with brush, then power wash it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom