Best way to sell ML63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ab9758

Car
CL500 (W216) ex-ML500 ML63 AMG and ML55
Heartbroken but have to sell my 99k miles 2007 ML63 after 1100 miles (in five months) since upgrading from ML55. Can't justify 6.9mpg (90 litres full tank range of 150 miles maximum). Still haven't been out for a proper drive and all trips are 20 minutes within Central London. Have to be sensible and look for basic ML model and live on memories! Anyway, I've never sold a 'proper' car before. I bought this on eBay and it was all painless, but I quickly learned the hard way it's best to buy from dealer with warranty. (In spite of independent engineer inspection - another saga.)

Should I just go the eBay and maybe AutoTrader route? Is there a better way which will be gentler on me? P/X is a bit unattractive as I would be downgrading and there's about a £5,000 difference between private sale prices and trade-in online estimates.

Alan
Are there any sale outlets that can be recommended?

Other part of this question is to ask if I should list it "warts and all". Does this keep it honest, truthful and decent and avoid the playacting on inspections? Or keep it simple and vague and go for it?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2016-11-19 at 10.57.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-11-19 at 10.57.19.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 105
  • WhatsApp Image 2016-11-19 at 10.57.18.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-11-19 at 10.57.18.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 104
  • WhatsApp Image 2016-11-19 at 10.57.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-11-19 at 10.57.20.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
How I generally write out an advert:

List the particulars (MOT, how many keys, service history)

List the optional extras

List the service intervals and where they took place

List any recent work (less than a year) and what brand of tyres are on it

Give a general idea of the condition and if there's anything that may need immediate attention (wheels kerbed etc) but you don't have to be too specific unless asked (any prospective buyer expecting something with 99k on to be perfect will only waste your time with millions of questions and then end up saying they want one with 20k on)

Last but not least - DO NOT WAFFLE about "how it gives a lovely ride" and other such cliches; someone looking for an ML63 will more than likely know what they're after that.

Other than that just remember to not take it personal if/when people make silly offers, it's not worth the hassle of getting in a lather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with spx

Many thanks for helpful feedback. Stick with eBay and AutoTrader? Don't think it's one for Gumtree but I've no experience nor know of other sales channels

ouch that is very thirsty, good luck with sale.

Many thanks for helpful feedback. Stick with eBay and AutoTrader? Don't think it's one for Gumtree but I've no experience nor know of other sales channels

Yes, both are good, my preference being Ebay so that you can at least see feedback from previous transactions.

Pistonheads could be an option because your ML is relatively rare but I've found it to be a complete waste of money, I've advertised a few cars and not even had a time waster get in touch!

Don't display those mpg figures. Whoever is buying will know this already.

Sorry to hear you're reluctantly selling. Personally I'd get a well written advert on eBay and MBClub, and if it doesn't sell get it on Car & Classic, Pistonheads, and maybe Autotrader last as it's expensive. There isn't much churn in the used ML63 market, so price it keenly if you want to move it on quickly. Good luck with the sale :thumb:

Diesel caveats

I share your pain on London short run mpg's.

15-20 years ago I used to be a Central London workaholic who kept seeing 9mph on the short run mpg display..

Two thoughts for you:

1) Beware diesels for doing such short runs. They have horrendous problems with short distances - they have filters which get badly blocked and need a regular (weekly?) 25 mile run to "clean them out." Golf owners in particular spend hundreds getting their vehicles fixed - but it applies to all modern diesels.

2) Short run mpg for you is always going to be horrendous anyway - depends what you're doing but you might only see 22mpg out of an ML350 if you're only doing 50 miles a week, purely around town.

On a more cheery note, you may well be facing some depreciation, but always remember that the first owner lost closer to half the new price when he sold the car on after three years use....

Hi. I have an ML55 and will be upgrading to a Ml63. How does the 63 compare to the 55 ? I was going to buy a 63 but saw my 55, 86K miles, for cheap money and saved myself £11K. However, I cant stop looking at 63 so i will get one eventually :)

How much are you hoping to get for your 63 ? how many owners ? Merc history ? plugs / filters all done ? Any electrical issues ? Any suspension issues ?

I've been tracking a number of 63s on ebay / gumtree and autotrader and it's a tough market out there. I think the price of petrol has really had a knock on effect to thirsty v8s

I've sold many cars on ebay and several on Gumtree. Gumtree you tend to get the dude that rings, offers you 4K less that your asking without even seeing the car. Ebay you get the dude that asks hundreds of questions, then disappears. Also, Ebay's costs are getting worse, but cars do sell.

SBK

90 Litres and 150 miles. My god that is totally shocking. Are you sure there isn't a hole in the fuel tank?

I wish there was a hole in my right foot! Averaging between 4.9mpg and 6.8mpg with all stop start runs of less than 15 minutes in Mayfair. Most neighbours with anything above a Tesla experience the same. All the big cars (Mercedes/Bentley/A-M/Range Rovers etc) have similar numbers so no one surprised. Did take it on an M4/M25 run of 30 miles at 50-70mph (speed cameras!) and was overjoyed to see 13mpg on screen display. Let out a cheer until got back to West End and straight back to 7-9mpg.

sbk - been through the same transition of never being quite content with my faithful ML55 even after 8 years, and always wanting the ML63 W164 (but not the new style).

The mistake I've made (an so did the previous owner!!) was to not realise how few opportunities I would have to ever ‘drive’ it properly. We live in Mayfair so the nearest non-speed-camera road is probably Germany! And when the MPG consumption makes you think twice about every journey (Waitrose? That’s £6 in petrol. Daughter in North London? There goes another £15!)

I’m envious of my sister who drives from the Wirral to Bangor, North Wales twice a day. Some wonderful roads to enjoy that would make the AMG a pleasure.

On a practical note, will ask £16,250 or thereabouts. It’s got MB Southampton service history with incomplete documentation but most recent service was by MB Coventry 2,000 miles ago. Since them, Airmatic suspension compressor and tailgate motor replaced pre-Christmas and last week the battery (£300 plus fitting!!) was renewed. Next Service Indicator in 10,000 miles (will check). Two Michelin tyres and rear brake pads fitted for the MOT pass this week.

You ask about ML55 and ML63 and it’s chalk and cheese. The driving experience with the ML63 is joyous and hugely more powerful, but you have to accept the potential in increased costs for everything from petrol to parts. You won’t get any sympathy from garages etc. When MB quote you £2,400 for a full set of pads and disks you need to bite your tongue. They will remind you of the size and quality of car you chose to buy! (The trick with the disks appears to be to have them skimmed for £160 for all four and buy pads as and when needed.)

One issue to look out for is to buy with less than 100,000 miles. (I’m at nearly 98,000 so getting close). Reason is some warranty providers won’t cover cars over 100k and will already be difficult about an AMG. I got a quote for full warranty (and no wear and tear deductions and with franchise garages) from Motorwise for about £750 or so, First quote was over £1,100 but they will then phone you. Warranty Direct I think was £1400 and Mercedes something like £4,200 a year!!

Hi Ab.

Thanks for your reply. I think you have two types of buyers for this vehicle, type 1 - Someone who just wants a V8 and doesnt know anything about MLs, or type 2 - The AMG nutter. Type 1 is the best as you just need to rev it and the sound alone will sell it :)

If its type 2 then they will be far smarter and aware of faults / issues. they will just look online at the old mots, and try to build up a picture of your car. Ive just done that and noticed mention of previous steering rack issues, and oil leaks on your car. Also, they will also search this forum for any old posts from you as this will give you an idea of the history of your car, Ive just done that and are there still issues with the batt / car being dead electrically / DVD working now ? So, you do need to remember this and be in a position to explain if asked.

Price wise, well you can only sell the car once and want the best price. However, if you look on ebay / autotrader there are 63s with lot less mileage for not much more. Ive also noticed these have been for sale for ages so offering cash I reckon you could get £1k / £1.5k off. No problem if you don't mind waiting but if you need gone soon then you will have to price it lower. Many buyers have a mental 100K issue so a £65K that has reached 100k can scare a lot of people off. As you mentioned dealer prices are horrific and these cars, although the engine is lovely, the electrics seem to be the achillies heel.

When I buy a 63 I will want to see a Star print out to ensure that there aren't any hidden issues. Also, how many sets of keys have you got ? Cost me £250 to get a second set for my Ml55 so Ive learnt there too :) I'm not to bad with the spanners and have pretty much ripped my ml55 apart and fixed everything, its fault free and rattle free :) THey are just large macarno sets and the internet is full of advice, youtube videos and forums to help. Parts for 63 arent that bad, you dont have to go to Mercedes dealers so you can replace brakes far cheaper than £2.5K. Funnily your mot history did mention brakes, and previous owners seem to have hated replacing tires as nearly all mots mention tyres :)

Me, well I would probably price it at £15K, for a quick sale, and Im sure it will go.

Simon

Simon - many thanks and hugely helpful. Many of the issues arising from previous owners' MOTs seem consistently to be advisories which are then ignored. I'm doing the same and not dealing with the PAS 'dampness' around a pipe (not an oil leak). Two experienced mechanics advise living with it as it's not seemingly a worsening problem nor having any impact. Their instinct is to leave alone rather than face the cost of taking the engine apart!

What I did glean is that these AMGs eat their way through tyres and brakes, which I suppose for a car weighing 2.8 tonnes is not unexpected.

You reminded me it came with only one key, and I made sure I added lost key cover to my insurance!

I know your point about parts' prices and I always stress I'm happy with Chinese-lookie-likies rather than OEM, but there are still some shockers. Went through the usual search for pricing brake disks but then told twice (by reputable service garages) that in fact they couldn't source non-MB parts and it would have to be Mercedes disks. Bit of a surprise but the fronts are oversized (390mm?) and don't seem to come up on any online supplier's database.

Will keep you posted on progress with sale!
Alan

I share your pain on London short run mpg's.

15-20 years ago I used to be a Central London workaholic who kept seeing 9mph on the short run mpg display..

Two thoughts for you:

1) Beware diesels for doing such short runs. They have horrendous problems with short distances - they have filters which get badly blocked and need a regular (weekly?) 25 mile run to "clean them out." Golf owners in particular spend hundreds getting their vehicles fixed - but it applies to all modern diesels.

2) Short run mpg for you is always going to be horrendous anyway - depends what you're doing but you might only see 22mpg out of an ML350 if you're only doing 50 miles a week, purely around town.

On a more cheery note, you may well be facing some depreciation, but always remember that the first owner lost closer to half the new price when he sold the car on after three years use....

I drive a diesel, do lots of short runs , i.e. 3 miles to the train station and 3 miles back, but have yet to experience the supposed 'horrendous problems' you mention above.

I have owned my current car for 5 years and my previous car was a S211 E320 diesel which I owned for a similar length of time and did similar journeys. Cars always serviced at main dealers and never ever anything untoward reported.

Annual mileage is 4-5k miles with a majority of those in the summer months, meaning that I can do as little as 30 miles a week (access to 2 other cars means it does not necessarily get driven at the weekends either).

Car purchased because of spec, engine size as opposed to type of fuel (limited choice of petrol estates unless I similarly want to chuck money at a 6.3 - which I don't :) ).

I previously posted same elsewhere when someone asked about diesels and short trips. So my own personal experience over a fair number of years. I would be interested as to what recommendations Mercedes themselves actually make in any literature in respect of this as have never seen anything suggesting car needs/has to do periodic long runs.

There's another issue with diesels I need to check out. We've got an £11 per day pollution charge from October here in Central London (on top of congestion charge). There are exemptions but also a lot of modern cars are caught up by penalty. Will do some research.

"From 23 October 2017, cars, vans, minibuses, buses, coaches and heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) in central London will need to meet minimum exhaust emission standards, or pay a daily £10 Emissions Surcharge (also known as the Toxicity Charge, or T-Charge). This will be in addition to the Congestion Charge." (tfl)

Emissions standards
The minimum emissions standards are Euro 4/IV for both petrol and diesel vehicles and Euro 3 for motorised tricycles and quadricycles.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/emissions-surcharge-checker

checker

Car
Registered between 1 January 2001 and 31 December 2007

Your vehicle may meet the Euro 4 standard. This is dependent upon the make of the vehicle, the date of registration, the fuel type and the engine capacity
To check whether your vehicle meets the Euro 4 standard please make an enquiry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom