Better drive with 17" or 18" alloys - SLK 350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mus

Hi Guys,

Which one offers a better, smoother drive. 17" alloys or 18" alloys on the SLK 350. Also will the larger alloy slow down the cars pick up or burn more pertrol.

Basically, 18 inch is always advertised in SLK 350 pics and it does look nice.

But is it the ideal option. At the moment I have 17" alloys and am contemplating either changing the tyres only or the alloys as well. Can someone honestly advise me to either stick with the 17" or change 18".

Thanks,

Mus

With 18" you will use more fuel - confirmed in the manufacturer's consumption data...(and make the car slower?) since the rolling resistance is higher - plus you've increased CO2, possibly putting you in a higher tax band, if these sized wheels are fitted at the date of delivery.
I'd stick with the 17" were I you, save a bit of cash, and enjoy a better ride quality too.
Doug

Last edited:
The practical differences between 17" and 18" are negligible unless you're doing mega-miles (unlikely in an SL). I went from 17" to 18" on my R129 this year ... no regrets whatsoever.

Tax band is based on how it left the factory and doesn't change.

I change between 16" and 18" regularly. No difference in fuel consumption or speed at all.

I do notice the firmer ride with the 18" wheels on.

Last edited:
17's for comfort and 18's for looks.

shoes are to women is what wheels are to cars

the right sized wheels transforms the look of a car. 18" wheels on SLKs would be perfect .. ride will suffer, but should not be too bad.

Ride quality can change from one make of tyre to another with the same size of wheel. I didn't notice any difference on my SL, going from 17 to 18.

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I will stick with my 17" as I need a smoother drive. When the girl is in the car, she will need it too. ;)

Now the next thing is since I am buying a second hand car I am eager to change its tyres. At the moment, the are Conti Sprot tyres. I am thinking of changing them for Michelin Pilot Sport. What is the general thought on this? Or should I sit back and wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom