better sound from clk55 exhaust but keeping og as possible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason55amg

Car
,CLK 350 Sport Convertible,,Golf R mk7,,,,CLK 55 AMG-Convertible,,,,
Hi,,,,
I wanted to ask,,
Is it possible to get a much better sound from the exhaust without having to cut pipes etc?,,,,
Local exhaust chaps could fit a x pipe for £250 but i believe the original pipes would need cutting?,,
Being able to go back to a stock exhaust should i want to would be good,,,,,,,
Could removing the mufflers get the sound i am looking for?,,,,,
had a forum search but couldnt get the answer i was looking for,,,
Thanks for any advice or ideas,,,,,,jasonp

Don't remove the mufflers. The car will be unduly loud and will drone like crazy.
The best way forward is to either remove or gut the secondary cats and remove the resonator and install a x-pipe (or h pipe). Cutting the pipes can't be avoided but it can be reversed.
That should give a slightly louder V8 rumble when ticking over and off throttle and a nice roar when you give it full throttle.

I did the above on my E55 and haven't regretted it for a moment. Just gut the cats if you have any MOT concerns. Mine passes every year without comment and its within the emission levels.

Thanks AMGeed,,,,,
this is the route i will take,,,,
didnt want it overly loud so seems like the x pipe and other bits would be perfect,,,,,jasonp

X pipe with secondary decat

On the clk55 both side front pipes and cats go down into one large single pipe towards the rear anyway, so I doubt an x-pipe setup exists.
Losing the secondary cats makes a small difference, will still pass emissions too, but needs to look original if you don’t have a friendly MOT tester.

On the clk55 both side front pipes and cats go down into one large single pipe towards the rear anyway, so I doubt an x-pipe setup exists.

Good point. I was thinking the CLK55 was similar to my E55 with twin pipes along the length of the car:doh:

Thanks for the replys,,,,
So is there anything else i can fit/remove except for the secondary cats?
dont want the quad conversion,,,
thanks for the advice,,,,,jasonp

Losing the secondary cats makes a small difference, will still pass emissions too, but needs to look original if you don’t have a friendly MOT tester.
You don't need a "friendly" MOT tester if you only remove the secondary CAT's as long as the car passes emissions testing.

You don't need a "friendly" MOT tester if you only remove the secondary CAT's as long as the car passes emissions testing.

You are correct in that assumption, although legally the car should retain whatever cats were fitted during assembly.
I would guess the majority of testers neither know or care what was fitted as long as the emissions are passed.

You are correct in that assumption, although legally the car should retain whatever cats were fitted during assembly.
I would guess the majority of testers neither know or care what was fitted as long as the emissions are passed.
If that is the case how do the modders get through the MOT with their aftermarket Milteks etc? Surely every car with a none standard exhaust would fail the MOT.

If that is the case how do the modders get through the MOT with their aftermarket Milteks etc? Surely every car with a none standard exhaust would fail the MOT.

Because, as I mentioned MOT testers look at the emission stats, not count the cats.
Its possible to have an aftermarket system and keep the cats. Still legal.

Just be aware that you might find removing the secondary cats a bit of a disappointment.

Definitely better, but the difference is minimal and nothing like fitting an aftermarket back box.

Just be aware that you might find removing the secondary cats a bit of a disappointment.

Definitely better, but the difference is minimal and nothing like fitting an aftermarket back box.

Thanks for that breezey,
Looking like the only way is to go with another backbox,
Any of the big exhaust suppliers like militek etc better suited to our model?
Cheers ,,,jasonp

C63 back boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom