Between Biarritz and Carcassonne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIGDOG

Car
amac
Planning an early Summer road trip and find myself with too many days to fill on this part of the route, apart from Pau and Lourdes I don’t recognise any other place names.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere worth stopping?

In did consider Andorra but reviews don’t look promising.

From Carcassone we are dropping down to Costa Brava and returning via La Rioja so some time could be wasted on the French/Spain border near the coast.

If you surf....dont miss Biarritz....some of the best waves I've ever ridden.

1713195133985.png

There are plenty of stunning roads to drive in the region east of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, including the little known Col du Tourmalet ;)

Picking your way east through the Hautes-Pyrénées you'll see some stunning scenery and if you have time on your hands it's the sort of area where you can spend all day driving no more than 150miles as some of the roads are pretty slow and twisty. There are lots of ski resorts that have great accommodation at good prices in the summer, so finding somewhere for a comfortable overnight stay shouldn't be difficult.

Toulouse is worth a look if you fancy spending time in a city.

The road over the Pyrenees to a village called Isaba is definitely in my top three of roads to drive.
You will see the wild horses, the Pyrenees as a ‘proper’ mountain range, and lots of great driving with sharp bends, none of which are dangerous.
I went over it in my w210 many years ago. Truly a great driving road - especially after the boring ones in Les Landes.

The road over the Pyrenees to a village called Isaba is definitely in my top three of roads to drive.
Just reminded me: if you want to do some exploring of scenic roads, Michelin maps are absolutely the best for that sort of area. Any road depicted with a green edge to it is classed as “picturesque”. You can also get an online version of the identical cartography at ViaMichelin

I have driven the extent of the Pyrénées probably a dozen times in the last 40 years, most recently last year in my R230.

I love Haro, its wine & eating places, but the small more remote towns & villages are my favourites.

Given three months down there, I'd spend it walking around Biarritz and driving around the Pyrenees.

The weather can be varied but you just "work around."

Global warming has affected snow fall in the Pyrénées, but it's always prudent to check & be prepared.

A few years ago I remember having to change my route as some of the passes were still blocked by snow in the first couple of days of June! I have a photograph somewhere, but can't find it!

One of my favourite, very inexpensive hotels is the Rural L'Ortiga Blanca in Queralbs. Catalonia which is 700 metres from Vall de Núria Ski station.

I'm sure you will have a great trip.

Global Warming Weather has affected snow fall in the Pyrénées, but it's always prudent to check & be prepared.

A few years ago I remember having to change my route as some of the passes were still blocked by snow in the first couple of days of June! I have a photograph somewhere, but can't find it!

One of my favourite, very inexpensive hotels is the Rural L'Ortiga Blanca in Queralbs. Catalonia which is 700 metres from Vall de Núria Ski station.

I'm sure you will have a great trip.
FTFY 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom