Beware cheap MoTs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No problem at all with low price MOTs. You just have to go somewhere they don't do repairs.

I've had a full price MOT failure at a dealer on my daughter's car. It supposedly needed new front discs and pads. After a test elsewhere and some argy bargy I got a refund and some compo. It was still passing MOTs five years later, with the same discs and pads on the car.

I go to a place in Sheffield that charges £25. All they do is Ford bodywork repairs and fitting Motability mods. Very, very thorough with good feedback on things that won't last another year, but never a failure.

Had a bad experience a few years ago when I had a Volvo S60. I decided to try the local MOT and tyre centre as it was 5 minutes up the road. They failed the car on suspension and headlight alignment (amazing for a three year old car!). Decided to take the car to the MOT station I used to go to when I lived in London, for a second opinion. They confirmed the car was perfect and passed it!

I was livid and to cut a long story short ended up reporting the local shysters to VOSA. Never heard back, but a couple of years later the place changed hands... :D

On a positive note, took my wife's Peugeot back to the garage we bought it from (in a lovely little village nearby) and it passed no problems and the guy even adjusted the exhaust pipe position (it was knocking on the body) for free! :) Great little garage.

Last edited:
I take most of our cars to the village garage. He charges full whack but I can walk there and back in 5 mins and I feel like I'm supporting a local business.

He'll do things like tweaking the lamp aim up etc without charging extra.

Merc goes to the dealer who do it for £35 and have a limited guarantee that it'll pass the next MOT. That's supposed to stop at 10yrs but last time I went they told me the age limit has been dropped, although it's still on the paperwork. So I'm anticipated that there might be a "discussion" on my next visit.

no such thing as free lunch ...

I've subjected all my meticulously maintained Mercs to a cheap MOT over about the few years.

£27 :thumb:

All from my local MB main dealer, who seem to run a continual 1/2 price offer :cool:.

Mercedes Stratford (London). From my experience of them, they are lying, devious, deceitful, disingenuous shysters and gits of the first order, so no surprise to hear them 'at it'. JMO.

Stop sitting on the fence.
Tell us what you really think....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MBClub UK

Mercedes Stratford (London). From my experience of them, they are lying, devious, deceitful, disingenuous shysters and gits of the first order, so no surprise to hear them 'at it'. JMO.

They speak highly of you though.... :p

My local MB dealer price matches mot's, my last mot cost me £25 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom