Beware: Mercedes Thieves in E London/Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonw2000

Just thought I'd relate my sad story. Last week my pride and joy, my black Mercedes 300CE-24 Sportline was stolen from my road. I can't believe this has happened, especially after having my Mercedes 260E stolen from the same place last July!

It must have been an organised gang, as they circumvented the alarm and a steering lock! Or more likely, nobody paid any attention to the alarm going off and they towed it away.

I am absolutely devastated. I drove to France the week before, enjoying a 1300 mile round trip in comfort and luxury.

The police reckons it's a gang in Essex that have been stealing Mercs to order for parts abroad. They sent a letter to me a while back advising me to check the alarm and get a steering lock, which I did. How can this happen?

Anyway, just a warning to everyone out there - lock away your Mercs if possible!

After losing two Mercs in the space of a year I'm afraid I won't be buying another, which makes me very sad. I don't think I can get insurance for one and I don't want to give these low life scum another chance.

Cheers

Gutted for you. No possibility of sorting out a garage in case you do get another M-B I suppose?

B----y b------s!!!!!!!

Which steering lock did you use, just of interest??

That's a really sad story. Sorry to hear it, mate.

I can't say anything more except that you have my deepest sympathy. I've jsut bought a E320 coupe, and although I've only had it a two weeks, and I can't drive it (DVLA ballsed up the registration transfer, and I can't tax it), it's already become my own pride & joy.

I'm thinking of getting a steel loop bolted into the driveway and chaining my car up through one of the wheels (like you can do with a motobike).

PJ

The steering lock was a Halfords one.

I can't remember the model off-hand - but it cost 50 quid and had won awards apparently. It was yellow and black and seemed solid enough, but I guess the lock could have been picked.

I don't have a front drive or garage - so maybe a garage is not a bad idea - will have to see how much they cost. Any ideas?

No point in steering locks, as they are just lifted onto low loaders.

A ground anchor might slow them down but they'll probably just remove the wheel or cut the chain. It may be enough to make them look for an easier target though.

Sounds like we all need some kind of cheap tracking device... something like http://www.followus.co.uk mobile phone tracking is peanuts to set up and all you'd need is an old PAYG mobile secreted on the car somewhere connected to a powersource. Its not particularly accurate but would pinpoint the cars location to about a half mile radius.

Rather surprised that the Police havn't even offered to fit similar devices to sample W124's dotted around in order to catch these gangs. I mean you can get this kind of thing up and running for about £15 now :(

Just did a test on my mobile and you can see the result below. I have marked in red where it actually is... good enough me thinks.

Attachments

• locate.jpg
    locate.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
jonw2000 said:
maybe a garage is not a bad idea - will have to see how much they cost. Any ideas?
www.comptongarages.co.uk built a concrete-panel one for us 6 years ago for around £3.5K, done in a day, all very neat and tidy, new concrete floor, double wooden doors, steel side door, window, roof lights, power points &c &c. Prices probably gone up a bit now but it looked OK if a bit concrete-y ... I seem to remember we painted it a tasteful shade of eggshell but we sold the house shortly afterwards

Last edited:
:( Gutted for you.

Sp!ke said:

A ground anchor might slow them down but they'll probably just remove the wheel or cut the chain. It may be enough to make them look for an easier target though.

Sounds like we all need some kind of cheap tracking device... something like http://www.followus.co.uk mobile phone tracking is peanuts to set up and all you'd need is an old PAYG mobile secreted on the car somewhere connected to a powersource. Its not particularly accurate but would pinpoint the cars location to about a half mile radius.

Rather surprised that the Police havn't even offered to fit similar devices to sample W124's dotted around in order to catch these gangs. I mean you can get this kind of thing up and running for about £15 now :(

Just did a test on my mobile and you can see the result below. I have marked in red where it actually is... good enough me thinks.

Hi Spike,
Hopefully that is not the real location of your car!

I cannot believe that the Police have not put out there own 'honey traps'

These cars are being taken in bulk, even the Metropolitan Police should be able to catch these thiefs???

I feel sorry for anyone that has had their pride and joy stolen, but to have it happen twice.

Unbelieveable,

Regards,
John

Spike,

Did you get a free trial of some sort or did you pay the £15 to try it out? I wanted to test it out but they don't got no free trial offer... ;-(

-simon

Sp!ke said:

Oh and by the way, is that the old IBM/Tivoli building you're at right now Spike? :)

-simon

Yes, I paid the £15 to try it out a few months ago... for my teenage daughters phone :rolleyes:

Still got loadsa credit on it as I will only ever need to look in an emergency.

Thats the current position of my mobile not my car... not that a car theif could get near it here since security is bloody tight. and yes IBM are still there but at a much smaller capacity - I work at one of the other companies there (The one begining with H ;) )

Jon

Horrible Horrible thing to happen not even once but twice :mad:

With my insurance they made me install a tracker system. I had
a 'dry' run with it when the car was towed to an MB garage and
they phoned me immediately to inform me it was being towed and
did I want them to track it and inform the cops!

Just wondering if you got this would your insurance be any better?

Again V sorry for the loss!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom