Beware New Scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
It appears that a new scam to get your personal and bank details is about.

My wife received a text message from the following number (07391724257) purporting to be from the DVLA and advising a road license refund is due.
There is a link, which when clicked on takes you to a very impressive looking Gov.com website (https://dvla.refund-form-ref62.com) where you are invited to enter name, address and birthdate. The missus asked me if I thought this was a kosher site and I had my doubts.

On my desktop PC I entered that URL and it came up as an error website can't be reached and server IP address cannot be found, although clicking the link in the text took it straight to a website.

Checking the mobile number on the "who called me" website, it appears this is a new scam that was first reported today.
who called me 07391724257 | who-called.co.uk

So, just a heads up if you are expecting a refund, be careful.
It's far more clever than the Nigerian scam of old, and if you were careless enough to actually enter your details, the next page would be asking for your bank card details to refund you.

Last edited:
Some people are utterly disgusting, what a horrible way to make money :mad:.

^ That is the page I was presented with. But cross checking the phone number (on a couple of sites) leads me to believe its fake.
Certainly looks real although I imagine parts have been lifted from the real Gov.uk website.

Another giveaway it is fake is the DVLA still issue a cheque for refunds and do not refund any monies due to a bank/credit card.

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
Maybe a thread such as this should be a sticky that we can all update with the latest scams?

I agree. Some scams are blatantly obvious, especially the phone calls. But using pages lifted from official websites is another step we should be aware of.

It appears that a new scam to get your personal and bank details is about.

My wife received a text message from the following number (07391724257) purporting to be from the DVLA and advising a road license refund is due.
There is a link, which when clicked on takes you to a very impressive looking Gov.com website (https://dvla.refund-form-ref62.com) where you are invited to enter name, address and birthdate. The missus asked me if I thought this was a kosher site and I had my doubts.

On my desktop PC I entered that URL and it came up as an error website can't be reached and server IP address cannot be found, although clicking the link in the text took it straight to a website.

Checking the mobile number on the "who called me" website, it appears this is a new scam that was first reported today.
who called me 07391724257 | who-called.co.uk

So, just a heads up if you are expecting a refund, be careful.
It's far more clever than the Nigerian scam of old, and if you were careless enough to actually enter your details, the next page would be asking for your bank card details to refund you.
I can't remember when I last surrendered a tax disc and got a refund , but I'm sure it came in the form of a cheque , addressed to my , as the registered keeper , and to the address they had on file .

I'd imagine they still use the same process , but since I always pay my VED by monthly direct debit , and if I SORN a car , I always do it on the last day of the month , there is never any refund to be had .

Another one arrived in my inbox today ; I know it is a scam as TV licence , utilities etc are in her ladyship’s name , as is the house .

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your balance is now overdue
Your TVL 10-digit number:

Your direct debit payment has failed this month.

An easy way to pay

Pay Now

We`ve made it easier for you to pay your outstanding balance of £11.05 for energy supplied. By clicking on the link above you can pay in a few easy steps, you just need your credit or debit card.

If you don`t pay us it may affect your credit rating

We may already be sharing information on how and when you pay with a Credit Reference Agency. If you pay your bill late,this could affect your ability to get credit from other lenders in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Debt Recovery Team

Please don`t respond to this email as this mailbox is unmonitored

Disclaimer Notice

This email has been sent by TVLimited, a private limited company registered in England and Wales, company number 03407430, of Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV48LG. This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by those to whom they are addressed, therefore if you have received this message in error, please contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any distribution or copying without our prior permission is prohibited. The recipient isresponsible for verifying the authenticity of this message before acting on the contents.

space.gif

I doubt any of these scams will catch members of the forum out, but it pays to get a heads up as to just what scams are doing the rounds at the moment.

The phone call from the (imaginary) tax office telling you that tax is owed and must be repaid immediately just drew a laugh from me, then go forth and multiply.

You know it's a scam when the recorded telephone message begins: "This is Her Majesty Revenue and Customs".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom