Beware of the new French Law when driving to France from 1st July 2015...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nico2014

Car
W204 C220 CDI sport, W204 C350 CDI Sport, W212 E350 CDI Sport and Now E63 AMG 6.3 AMG PP
Hi folks,

Just thought of telling you if you intend to drive to France this summer and beyond that the Bluetooth headset will be banned in cars and motorbikes from 1st July.

Anyone stopped by Police using the Bluetooth headset will receive €135 fine (and 3 points if one has a french driving licence)...

Last edited:
It appears this is only a ban on devices that require you to wear some sort of earpiece. Handsfree systems through the speakers are supposedly not affected.

However, if the letter of the legislation is to be believed, they're also banning the use of earplugs on motorcycles, which shows just how truly f*cking stupid the French goverment is. Perhaps we should have let the Germans have them after all :D

Last edited:
Headset or handset?

EDIT: Ah, headset.

Wish our police would crackdown on people driving with their phone pressed to their face. It's infuriating. It's always the right hand, so that their left hand is free to leave the steering wheel completely while they change gear... :mad:

Are the French also banning people driving with earphones firmly pressed into each ear?

Last edited:
Thanks for correcting me

Last edited:
It appears this is only a ban on devices that require you to wear some sort of earpiece. Handsfree systems through the speakers are supposedly not affected.

However, if the letter of the legislation is to be believed, they're also banning the use of earplugs on motorcycles, which shows just how truly f*cking stupid the French goverment is. Perhaps we should have let the Germans have them after all :D

That is correct Doodle.

Are the French also banning people driving with earphones firmly pressed into each ear?

The wording appears to cover all earphones.

In my best approximate translation:
Prohibit wearing earbuds, headset, headphones, may limit both the attention and hearing of the drivers

Excellent. Bring it over here please, and police it.

(It's literally every other driver in Manchester..)

Headset or handset?

EDIT: Ah, headset.

Wish our police would crackdown on people driving with their phone pressed to their face. It's infuriating. It's always the right hand, so that their left hand is free to leave the steering wheel completely while they change gear... :mad:

Apparently so! The earphone will not be allowed on one or two ears, so listening to music or using the earphone with iPhone will be illegal too... Personally this is a too severe restriction applied.

I also know that the law will also punish anyone having this device inside the car even though it was not used. This is already in application with gps showing or warning speed cameras and speed limits ie if you are driving to France and put away your tomtom (providing the program is enabling speed limit and speed area locations) or snooper device for example in the car whilst driving in France, You could still be given a fine if device is found by Police, as they would search your vehicle if necessary...

Last edited:
I feel grossly uncomfortable driving in traffic even with a stereo turned up loud. You need the full use of your ears to be a good driver in traffic.

The danger is the conversation not the headset or the handset...the conversation...so ban all phons in cars no matter how they are operated.

The danger is the conversation not the headset or the handset...the conversation...so ban all phons in cars no matter how they are operated.

That is a fair point actually.

Anything that plays directly into the ear is inherently more distracting though and also cuts out more ambient noise.

I thought the wearing of ear/head phones was already against the law (or highway code?) in this country anyway?
Anything that distracts a driver's attention away from the road could lead to the police being 'intrested'..

I thought the wearing of ear/head phones was already against the law (or highway code?) in this country anyway?
Anything that distracts a driver's attention away from the road could lead to the police being 'intrested'..

Highway Code149
"You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. You MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, when driving or when supervising a learner driver, except to call 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency when it is unsafe or impractical to stop. Never use a hand-held microphone when driving. Using hands-free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road. It is far safer not to use any telephone while you are driving or riding - find a safe place to stop first or use the voicemail facility and listen to messages later.
Laws RTA 1988 sects 2 & 3 & CUR regs 104 & 110"

Using mobile telephony means using in any way and as far as I am concerned, that includes having headphones connected to a phone 'just' for music. The legal argument would be that to accept or make an incoming call, the device (telephone) would have to be touched at some point (excluding the headphones that can drive the phone, of course). If the headphones were connected to another music playing device, it could not be interactive (see b, below) but the wearing of headphones is not an actual offence in its own right, yet, unless (a) applies somehow.

Road Traffic Act
"41DBreach of requirements as to control of vehicle, mobile telephones etc.
A person who contravenes or fails to comply with a construction and use requirement—
(a)as to not driving a motor vehicle in a position which does not give proper control or a full view of the road and traffic ahead, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person in such a position, or

(b)as to not driving or supervising the driving of a motor vehicle while using a hand-held mobile telephone or other hand-held interactive communication device, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person using such a telephone or other device,is guilty of an offence.]

Unfortunately, the offences require them to witnessed by and acted on by a police officer and there are fewer and fewer around these days.

Last edited:
When I did my motorbike training I had to wear an ear piece - a one way radio. How's that going to work in France?

However, if the letter of the legislation is to be believed, they're also banning the use of earplugs on motorcycles, which shows just how truly f*cking stupid the French goverment is.
One of the American states enacted a similar law a few years ago that would have the effect of making it illegal to wear earplugs when riding a motorcycle. The threat of class action by the AMA over resultant hearing loss helped the law makers see the error of their ways. I suspect a similar situation in France will "clarify" the extent of the law there.

tec said:
It will not catch on here as we don't have anyone to enforce it. :eek:

Yeah we do - armies of them, all wearing Lycra...

But it's still fine for people on bicycles riding around with their IPods plugged in being totally oblivious to their surroundings and then bitching like hell if you overtake then without leaving enough room for a freight train to pass between you !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom