BHS heading for administration as rescue deal fails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was said on BBC News tonight that Peter Hain declared in the House of Lords list of members' interests that he is retained as an advisor by the law firm which is acting on behalf of the Daily Telegraph in the matter of these injunctions.

Given the exemplary honesty and probity of our politicians, I'm sure there is no connection.

Part of Lord Hain's statement
“My Lords, having been contacted by someone intimately involved in the case of a powerful businessman using non-disclosure agreements and substantial payments to conceal the truth about serious and repeated sexual harassment, racist abuse and bullying, which is compulsively continuing, I feel it’s my duty under parliamentary privilege to name Philip Green as the individual in question given that the media have been subject to an injunction preventing publication of the full details of this story which is clearly in the public interest.”
So not only did he reveal the identity of the man in question he also alluded to the nature of the complaints against him.
While he may not like the man * one would assume that he would not in all sense use parliamentary privilege and the predictible sh*t storm it would invoke because the man in question merely borrowed some money from the office coffee kitty?
In terms of where Lord Hain got his information came from it has since emerged the peer is a global and government adviser at Gordon Dadds, the law firm used by the Telegraph in the injunction case in question .
In a statement, Gordon Dadds said Lord Hain had not obtained any information from them regarding the case, "including any information which would enable him to identify Philip Green as having any involvement in it".
Lord Hain "categorically" denied that he was aware of the law firm's work with the Telegraph and said the firm played "absolutely no part" in his decision to name Sir Philip.
Hain 'arrogant' for naming Topshop boss
* In cases like these I would offer that an individuals attitudes and subsequent actions are frequently the result of their own personal experience or the experience of someone close to them. If not a woman themselves they may have a wife, sister , daughter or niece who has been been subjected to similar behaviour to that which has been alleged. That alone might prove a powerfull motivator?

'Mr Grieve told BBC Radio 4's World at One: "We can't operate a democratic free society when peers or MPs decide to take the law into their own hands."...

The injunction against the Telegraph was only an interim one, and judges had not even made their final decision before Lord Hain intervened, he said.'

Why would he pay anybody a 7 figure sum & require a NDA if this is the extent of his perceived sins? If that's all it takes for an employee to scalp him for a million quid I'm recommending my daughter apply for a job in his office tomorrow!

Revealed: Philip Green paid seven-figure sums to silence abuse claims

The source alleged Green’s behaviour included:

• walking into meetings and giving women present a lingering hug

• asking women in meetings if they were “naughty girls”, and if they “needed their bottoms slapped”

• creeping up behind women in corridors to make them jump, before caressing their shoulders to “reassure” them

• calling women “sweetheart”, “darling” or “love”, rather than by their names

• telling women they were overweight and should go on a diet

• flying into expletive-ridden rages abusing male and female staff in front of colleagues

Why would he pay anybody a 7 figure sum & require a NDA if this is the extent of his perceived sins?...

Probably because he would have paid the same 7-figure sum in a Tribunal. So he chose the path that he thought offered less publicity. Didn't seem to have worked for him though....

And, most likely, he knew that if he lost in a well-publicised Tribunal once, then next that would happen is that every ex-employee would join the queue (we can assume he used this language towards quite a few people in his lifetime...). So he chose to pay a 7-figure sum 5 times quietly, rather than 50 times publicly?

What I am wondering is what he meant by 'denying the allegations'. What allegations is he denying? That he behaved in the way that was leaked in the papers? Or that he had his ex-employees sign an NDA?

Just read the link to the Guardian article and there’s so much subjective matter the accusations all look flimsy if that’s the kind of stuff he’s been up to, saying things like -

“You’re absolutely ****ing useless. I should throw you out of the window, but you’re so fat you’d probably bounce back in again.”

I think they’ll struggle to turn him into a Harvey Weinstein figure.

Just read the link to the Guardian article and there’s so much subjective matter the accusations all look flimsy if that’s the kind of stuff he’s been up to, saying things like -

“You’re absolutely ****ing useless. I should throw you out of the window, but you’re so fat you’d probably bounce back in again.”

I think they’ll struggle to turn him into a Harvey Weinstein figure.
Weren’t there claims of racism?

Why would he pay anybody a 7 figure sum & require a NDA if this is the extent of his perceived sins? If that's all it takes for an employee to scalp him for a million quid I'm recommending my daughter apply for a job in his office tomorrow!

Revealed: Philip Green paid seven-figure sums to silence abuse claims

The source alleged Green’s behaviour included:

• walking into meetings and giving women present a lingering hug

• asking women in meetings if they were “naughty girls”, and if they “needed their bottoms slapped”

• creeping up behind women in corridors to make them jump, before caressing their shoulders to “reassure” them

• calling women “sweetheart”, “darling” or “love”, rather than by their names

• telling women they were overweight and should go on a diet

• flying into expletive-ridden rages abusing male and female staff in front of colleagues

I really can’t see him dishing out 7 figure sums for those points. There must be more too it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom