Bi-fold doors - any experiences/recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi All,

Hope everyone is good. Does anyone have Bi-Fold Doors? If so I'd really appreciate some recommendations / warnings.

Thanks
R

I'll ask my brother for you - he's had a set fitted recently and is very happy (and very fussy).

He did a lot of research first.

I bought a pair from Howdens, for my ensuite, they are basically cupboard doors designed to open and close from outside the cupboard, I modified mine by removing the middle hinge pin and replacing it with a handle formed from a wire coat hanger, this enables the doors to be opened and closed from the inside as well as the outside, the wire handle folds flat inside allowing the doors to fold flat against them selves when left open, so I can easilly access the ensuite from the bedroom, I also fitted a small brass knob centrally on the outside. If they are just for a cupbored then these are pretty good. I hope this might be of use. Eddie

Last edited:
I bought a pair from Howdens, for my ensuite, they are basically cupboard doors designed to open and close from outside the cupboard, I modified mine by removing the middle hinge pin and replacing it with a handle formed from a wire coat hanger, this enables the doors to be opened and closed from the inside as well as the outside, the wire handle folds flat inside allowing the doors to fold flat against them selves when left open, so I can easilly access the ensuite from the bedroom, I also fitted a small brass knob centrally on the outside. If they are just for a cupbored then these are pretty good. I hope this might be of use. Eddie

I suspect the op means concertina doors...the type to open a room into the garden and have 5 -6 panels.

Interior or exterior? We got italian interior doors when the house has a full refurb including bifold for the living room. Will try and find the name of the manufacturer.

Schuco make good bi fold door systems - they are kind of the ford focus of bifold doors, in that you can get cheaper and you can get a hell of a lot more expensive, but they do the job, are made well, and have good spares etc.

Here's a link ( just the first one I pulled off google as there are hundreds of places you can get them from )

Schuco bi folding doors - Folding Door Shop

I made my own many years ago, (when sapele panel doors were "in") - took the circular saw to cut one in half, on the basis that I was going to replace it anyway if it didn't work.

Reinforced the open edges and covered the edge with wide iron-on veneer edging. Sounds Heath Robinson I know, but woodwork is one of my hobbies, so it was done properly.

I fitted it using a B&Q channel kit, and reused the outer door handle, and with the door closed you could hardly see the join.................

It lasted 15 years or so on our boxroom, and gave significant extra space inside the room.

Assuming we are talking of external doors - I have 2 sets in upvc.
Opening widths total 3.00m, with 4 panes. Right door opens right & 3 other panels slide to the left.
Disadvantages of upvc:-
The panels twist so must be opened in the correct sequence, locking each panel to the next as you go. Closing must be done in exact reverse order.
The stack of 3 doors, when open, is quite thick

All systems are unable to open more than 90 degrees as they are restrained by the track.

Price of upvc was good though - around 2k per set

Thanks very much guys.

I should have said that they are for outdoors.

We are going to try and get aluminium bi-folds, so i was looking for recommendations of suppliers/manufacturers. Thanks for those who already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom