Bi-Xenon Bulb replaced but still not working.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chesterpiglet

Car
Mercedes W211 E280 Cdi Sport Estate
When I got my W211 E280 in August the bulbs were very yellow & hardly illuminated the road at all. First the n/s bulb blew & very shortly afterwards the o/s. Just fitted the new Osram Xenarc D1S bulbs & the o/s is still not working. Presumably the only other thing is the ballast? Just bad luck that I blow 2 bulbs(which were old) & the ballast goes on one side too or is there something else going on? Swapped the bulbs over & it is not the bulbs(ie both work on the n/s but neither on the o/s). I looked for a fuse & 66 does both left & right front lamp unit so as one is working it isn't that. Both bulbs were actually shattered too- is this normal when a Xenon bulb goes? It looks to be a Hella 5DV 008 290-00- should I replace them in pairs? Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5698.JPG
    IMG_5698.JPG
    769.6 KB · Views: 3
Good idea. I think the access is from underneath so I will take the undertray off next week & have a look. I saw a YouTube video & it looks as though they just unbolt. Can you think of any other reason for not working? Odd that they were working & now one isn't plus the 2 blown bulbs.
Many thanks. .

I believe that a failing ballast can over drive the bulb hence shortening its life?

Good luck! 👍👍

Many thanks. The bulbs did look pretty ancient anyway & put out a very poor yellow light. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

I just ordered 2 used Hella ones for £16 each. The cheapest new OEM I could find was around £65 plus postage.

Buying used bulbs is a false economy. Brand new D1S from OSRAM is £31 OSRAM XENARC ORIGINAL D1S HID Xenon discharge bulb, discharge lamp, OEM quality OEM, 66140, folding carton box (1 unit) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HWWX7R2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7YXF1B1EDQNS6FHQN00K

You may have a failed / failing ballast
If you read the posts correctly the OP has bought new bulbs.

"When I got my W211 E280 in August the bulbs were very yellow & hardly illuminated the road at all. First the n/s bulb blew & very shortly afterwards the o/s. Just fitted the new Osram Xenarc D1S bulbs & the o/s is still not working."

The secondhand parts he referred to are ballasts.

I bought the wrong ballasts! Mine is an early Facelift built 11/06 but not registered until January 2008. I haven't looked yet but I'm sure they're not correct despite checking(not well enough)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom