Bi-Xenon headlights aim too low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Got an MOT fail today for both Bi-xenon headlights aiming too low.
Checked if they "self levelled" when turning on and they don't.:fail

Checked the (adjustable) airmatic level sensors and they are working fine and not broken and I have a Star diagnosis booked for tomorrow morning at Startech, my nearest indy.

Am I correct in thinking that Star can show if the headlight motor range sensor(s) are faulty? And if not, can Star recalibrate the correct level again?

Ah ha !

Same thing happened on my 211. The motor to raise the bulbs had failed and it was somewhere like £800 per side to fix but, there is a bolt/screw,adjuster where you stick a no 10 socket into and this lifts the headlamps permanently into one correct position.

Hmmm I'd like to know where that bolt is,just in case lol
I don't like the sound of £800+ per side.

From what I remember, it's right next to the one you would use to lift the bulb but, it's not the black turny thing which you keep turning. Merc85 will know- he knows his 211s. It took my indy 2 mins to fix the issue.

Cheers for that info Harry. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Had the levelling motor fail on one of my CLS xenons. Couldn't adjust properly using the mechanical adjuster, so bit the bullet and both new for both sides as they had gone a bit milky anyway.. (£1500 the pair plus fitting and coding)

Knocked years of the car's appearance!

Last edited:
Hi AMGeed,

There is a Earth within the Headlight, Its a brown wire that earths out on the chrome "inner" surround where your D2s bulb fits through. Its just a spade connector.

Maybe worth just checking this is connected it would be strange that both have come adrift.

You can manually adjust the Headlight level easy, The Adjuster is accessed through the Top of either side slam panel, Its the Unplugged hole in the top of the slam panel above each headlight.

I've done this on 2 w211's, I parked up against a Wall "garage in my case" and counted how many bricks high the beam was at, Then adjusted each side to suite by turning the Hexagonal screw with the relevant size socket on my 3/8 extension.

Hope the above helps bud.

See the below link

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=x...UICygC&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=JqAldYR0GmCcwM:

Last edited:
Thinking about it, as both are not adjusting it must be something common to both. Perhaps a break in the loom? Corroded common earth/connector? Does the E have a separate HRA control module (the CLS doesn't)?

Thinking about it, as both are not adjusting it must be something common to both. Perhaps a break in the loom? Corroded common earth/connector? Does the E have a separate HRA control module (the CLS doesn't)?

Hopefully Star will point to the problem Peter.

I have no idea about a HRA control module:dk:

It seems the headlamp leveling control unit is under the driver's seat and then under the carpet according to WIS.

STAR should tell you tomorrow if it is faulty

Problem solved. Everything checked out with no faults. Both headlamp levels reset and checked. A little relieved the Star session sorted it out without too much expense.

The tech thought that driving into a large pothole could easily have caused this. Got plenty of potholes here too!
20170525_090531_zpsbo1zkomg.jpg

Zero point setting corrected a sensor angle knocked out by pothole?

At least it was relatively cheap fix :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom