Bi xenon w203 supplier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Samson27

Car
C270
Afternoon.

I'm Looking for a pair of aftermarket Bi Xenon headlights, my 2002 C270 currently has std halogen units.

I have found units on eBay and Amazon but most are from America and will be lhd and the other set I found are in Australia and shipping is a bit steep.

Are there any UK suppliers that stock them?

All help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Sam.

I'm not looking for the cheap Chinese hid bulb replacement, I'm looking for the Headlamp setup. Light unit, motors, bulbs and ballasts.

I'm quite aware that retrofitting cheap hid kits in a halogen unit is illegal for road use.

Can you not convert a non xenon car to xenons legally then? I havnt got the money to buy new from MB.

Even fitting expensive high end HID's is illegal in some halogen housings I'm sure

You could have projectors fitted within your headlamp units for less than £150 but I'm unfamiliar with the units on the W203, as I'm guessing they're only reflector based

Best bet would be installing OEM ones, you don't need levelling sensors or headlamp washers to pass the mot on your car

I'm about to convert from halogens to bi-xenons on my car with complete unit/ballasts/projector etc, I don't think there are any made for yours though? Australia is your best bet if you've found some, unless Sonic racing has made a set for it

Last edited:
Speak to Nick at Euromerc.

He'll have all the bits you need

[email protected]

http://marsperformance.com.au/automobile/W203?category=5

Seems there are quite a lot of projector housings out there, that's just an example (but pricey) Even If you bought clear ones from a UK seller and installed HID's yourself, with the right projectors it would be legal

Failing all this, you could try contacting Mark at Wplamps in China, they make RHD projector housings with everything installed for you

A complete retrofit will require also the suspension height sensor and headlamp washer system.

There are different opinions on whether the above is a mandatory MOT requirement, but the concensus seems to be that it is.

markjay said:
A complete retrofit will require also the suspension height sensor and headlamp washer system

MOT guidelines state when Xenons/HID's are fitted, washer jets and levelling system must work IF in place. Should the car come with them from factory, they must work. If the car originally doesn't (in the OP's case) these are not needed for the MOT

With regards to the light temperature, I can't remember the cut off point of 'legal' but the MOT tester cannot remove and check a bulb for its colour temperature etc, so if you get away with something really high then fair play... I believe the police can't check on the roadside either but can give an order to have them checked

All this provided they are within projector based headlamp units aligned correctly, with the correct RHD drop off on the drivers side low beam. Meaning shoving a HID kit into a bog standard reflector headlamp is highly illegal causing glare and the wrong spread. Although I've seen countless people with even drop offs

Also they need to be manually levelled, i.e from within the car. Some kits don't have the motors built in but most will take the cars previous motors from the original headlamps to suffice

There shouldn't be a pause between the switch from low beam to high, and the low beam should remain constant on during times when the high beam is on etc etc

Everyone always gets worried about the washer jets and levelling sensors when they don't need to :thumb: me included before I looked properly into it on a previous car and it is perfectly legal

Cheers for all the info, my car has headlight washers....

I'll keep looking around for projector units, I'll contact that chap in China as well.

MOT guidelines state when Xenons/HID's are fitted, washer jets and levelling system must work IF in place. Should the car come with them from factory, they must work. If the car originally doesn't (in the OP's case) these are not needed for the MOT...

Yes I am aware of this, and it is indeed a common interpretation of the MOT regulations, though apparently not everyone agrees with it, as can be seen from various discussions online.

I suggest that anyone planning on HID retrofit either read the comments online and make up their own mind, or just ask their local MOT tester.

Either way, I was not referring specifically to any legal requirements.

A complete HID system comprises of suspension height sensor and headlamp washers for safety reasons, which as said are not straightforward to retrofit.

This is why I would personally not upgrade to HIDs, in spite of having them in previous cars (and yes they are very good), and regardless of whether I would or wouldn't get away with it during MOT testing. But to each his own.

I did the clear OEM headlight swap back in 2005 on my 53 plate c270 sport estate, I got the units from eBay, and didn't go the suspension route, the car passed two MOT's before I traded it in to a Merc dealer. If you get the compete units, you will have to block the vacuum lines that go to each of the halogen units, the OEM ones are plug and play include the ballast.

Whichever route you go you'll need to code the car for xenons present.

whitenemesis said:
Yes must do that my dealer did it for free

whitenemesis said:

Is this just to tell the car it now has xenons? Or is it more than that and it also provides the function of the shutters opening and closing? (Bi-xenons)

Hoping my dealer knows what they're doing when I fit my new lights

It tells the car it has xenons, otherwise they flash and don't stay on properly

There are some non clear lens xenon units on eBay at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom