Bi-Xenons and driving in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jb73118

Car
2007 E280 CDI Avantgarde Estate
Anyone else worked out what the score is with taking a car with Bi-Xenons to France as regards the spare bulb rules? Seems a bit excessive to carry all the kit when the bulbs are supposed to last forever.....................

Anyone else worked out what the score is with taking a car with Bi-Xenons to France as regards the spare bulb rules? Seems a bit excessive to carry all the kit when the bulbs are supposed to last forever.....................

Are they strictly a "bulb"?

If I was roadside at midnight arguing with the Gendarmerie I'm not sure my French would be up to that argument! :D

I just carry an ordinary bulb kit. You would have to be very unlucky for them to actually check they were the correct bulbs.

They are actually called burners on xenons.

Don't for get to adjust them.

Which is pretty much impossible on a W211.
Best to buy a sticker, you only need it on the left hand lamp.

Which is pretty much impossible on a W211.
Best to buy a sticker, you only need it on the left hand lamp.

:confused:
Takes about 30 seconds per side to do....

Which reminds me, must adjust mine back (only been back 2 months!!)

Well I just couldn't get my hand in there and to the lever, I asked them to show me how to do it at Mercedes Norwich as I thought I must have been missing the obvious and 5 people tried and none of them could either. Just no room to get your hand in, there is a bottle or something in the way so you only have a bout a 2" gap between that and the holed in the back of the light, thus not leaving enough room.

Mine is a facelift, not sure if that makes a difference??

So's mine, and it is easier than the one I had before.

Granted the first time is a bit troublesome but once you find it it's very obvious. It is tight getting your hand in, but I have no problems - I usually change them over in the queue at the port / shuttle.

It would be easier if there was a little plastic sleeve on the end as it does all feel the same. Or perhaps I was a gynaecologist in a previous life? :)

Just asked a French colleague, who is not aware of any exempotion for xenon lights

However, apparently the plod are unlikely to check that. More interested in warning triangle, day-glo vest and first aid kit.

How easy is it to fit a new "burner" at the side of the road??? A bulb is fiddly enough in the cold etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom