Bi-xenons & headlamp deflectors (driving in France)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanD

Car
CLS55 AMG IWC
So the £5 deflectors you can grab on Amazon .. is there any special consideration with bi-xenons (eg. cause problems with self-levelling, etc.)? Or do they do the job just fine?

What do you normally do when crossing the channel for a couple of weeks?

Pretty sure all xenon cars have a lever in them to swap sides. You cannot use the beam deflectors afaik

On my w211 there was a level under the plastic cover on each head light, that I used to deflect the abeam when I drove it to Paris a few years ago. Not checked the cls yet to see if it's the same. The manual doesn't show it, only that it can be done at a main dealer

No way to change the beam on the CLK. I just used the beam deflectors in what seemed to be the correct spot. Applied in the dark with the car facing the garage door and used the trusted trial and error message. I think its more a case of complying with the rules. They are not that effective in my experience on various vehicles. They certainly don't bend the beam - just block it a bit. Black tape is pretty good too.

Hmm .. interesting comment about a switch to change them. Never even occurred to me that they'd be that helpful!! ;)

Anyone know for a C55? Off to do some Google-fu ...

Yes, there is a lever to the outboard side of the xenon bulb holder.

Is that just for vertical level though? That would make sense for calibration. Surely there's not a mechanical adjuster for switching the side of the road you're driving on?

The lever drops a shield across the beam that removes the lefthand kick in the beam pattern. Basically producing a flat cutoff.

That sounds way more sensible than expected! It's almost like it could be a good design ...

Don't suppose you happen to have come across a picture or detailed description of what to look for? Coming up blank on Google so far .. :(

From memory, both my cars have the option in the settings to set them to left / right hand driving.

Wow, thanks .. will have a look in the daylight and figure out if my headlamp unit looks like any of those in the pictures (unless anyone knows how to translate "MODEL 164, 169, 171, 172, 203, 204, 207, 209, 211, 212, 215, 216, 218, 219, 220, 221, 230, 245, 251 Headlamp with projection system (vehicles with halogen, xenon or full LED headlamps)" into whatever fits in a C55 AMG!?). :)

A C55 will be a W203, with xenon headlamps will be projector type.

Unreal this as me insignia had a program to change for driving abroad. Took about 15 seconds to do. Brilliant system. But it's interesting that me dealer was raving about all these great features on me c220 CDI Amg with xenons and fancy lighting system. Thing is the 3 year old insignia I was trading in already had it and it was far superior system too.... !!!!! Makes me wonder

Good topic to start Alan - this will help us on the Amg trip in July .
Il check under my hood too now thanks to all :thumb:

Some of the newer models will have a cluster menu option to set the lights for driving abroad. Should be shown in the owner's handbook. If you have the ILS then pretty certain it's settable via the cluster menu.

whitenemesis said:
Some of the newer models will have a cluster menu option to set the lights for driving abroad. Should be shown in the owner's handbook. If you have the ILS then pretty certain it's settable via the cluster menu.

Which is exactly what I said earlier ;)

View attachment 43004

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom