Bi-xenons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GH421

Car
W221 S320L Cdi
Hi guys

Sorry if this has been done before

What is the difference between Xenon's and Bi-Xenons?

Want to put a pair in my W203 Pre facelift but not too sure which ones to go for and would it cause the computer to go haywire?

If they are originals and not aftermarket cheapies, they shouldn't cause your computer any problems.

Xenons basically mean that the main beam is xenon, and the rest of the lights aren't. Bi-xenon means that the low beam and main beam are both xenon.

thanks for that

what's the colour used in the OEM xenons? I guess for the best effect I would have to invest in some projector headlights too?

I guess for the best effect I would have to invest in some projector headlights too?

Are you talking oem or aftermarked HID bulbs/ballast?
Colour temp is around 4300-4700K, iirc of oem lights. (I have kept this temp so as not to be perceived as a boy racer)
Your best bet would be to pick up some 2nd hand oem facelift bixenon units off ebay or from dismantler, which have the clear lens and are fully self contained units (although obviously do not contain washers/self levelling sensors- do a search re legality etc of retrofitting xenons on forum)
These are plug & play- I have done this on my C class, although you need cluster coding on STAR

The colours change as the K's go up (Degree Kelvin), i've got 8000K on mine and they aren't blue, they're still white with the ever-so-slight hint of blue, mine aren't OEM either.

The colours change as the K's go up (Degree Kelvin), i've got 8000K on mine and they aren't blue, they're still white with the ever-so-slight hint of blue, mine aren't OEM either.

If they are an accurate 8000K, I am sure it will be more than 'ever-so-slight', especially with a side by side comparison.
At night/ in rear view mirrors, I bet they are really obviously aftermarket looking and are more likely to attract attention. That is what some people fit them for, but may also attract unwanted attention...

PS for OP; 2nd hand units will cost approx £400. they look much better than the standard headlight, imho

This has been discussed at length before, so do a forum search.
However, the conclusion was basically that just swapping normal headlight units for HID xenons is, on its own, illegal.
To keep within the law (and therefore to pass the MOT) you also need to fit self levelling rear suspension and headlamp washers.
Most, if not all, have therefore come to the conclusion that its not financially viable to do and have opted for the more affordable mod of simply switching to more powerful bulbs or replacing the old units with NORMAL clear glass replacements (not HID xenons).
If I am wrong, no doubt someone will come along and correct me.

This has been discussed at length before, so do a forum search.
However, the conclusion was basically that just swapping normal headlight units for HID xenons is, on its own, illegal.
To keep within the law (and therefore to pass the MOT) you also need to fit self levelling rear suspension and headlamp washers.
Most, if not all, have therefore come to the conclusion that its not financially viable to do and have opted for the more affordable mod of simply switching to more powerful bulbs or replacing the old units with NORMAL clear glass replacements (not HID xenons).
If I am wrong, no doubt someone will come along and correct me.

Very right, except on one point - the MOT :p

Most testers wont care about testing an aftermarket system properly; in theory you need to do a SVA test; but given the cost/time involved most poeple never do this...

Hence, hanving an MOT is not a "proof" that your bulbs are legal, but merely a proof that your tester may have not checked them properly...

M.

Pardon my obvious ignorance, but what is an SVA test ? ? ?

Xenons basically mean that the main beam is xenon, and the rest of the lights aren't. Bi-xenon means that the low beam and main beam are both xenon.

Is this correct?
I though xenons meant that dipped beam is xenon, and bi-xenon means that both dipped and main beam are xenon.

If they are originals and not aftermarket cheapies, they shouldn't cause your computer any problems.

Is this correct?
I though xenons meant that dipped beam is xenon, and bi-xenon means that both dipped and main beam are xenon.

Bi-xenons are xenon dipped beam and high beam (same bulb) with halogen as second high beam. Xenons cant be flashed so halogens are used.

Xenons are dipped only with halogens for main beam.

Swapping xenon bulbs into halogen headlight units (aka HID kits) is a definate no-no (illegal).
Replacing halogen units with OEM xenon units is ok if you also add the self-levelling system for the lights (not the same as self-levelling suspension). Halogen units use vacuum system xenon use electronic adjustment.

It might be a terminology confusion we have here, but what i meant was:

Xenon = Your main light, the one you drive with at night constantly (main beam?) is xenon

Bi-xenon = Your main light is xenon, and the weaker 'dipped' beam (the one thats used when its not so dark, just to improve driver visibility) is also xenon.

The high-beam (the one you flash and is very powerful) i dont think can be xenon, although i've seen a few cars flash and their light is bright white, this could just be a very powerful bulb though.

Yes, terminology indeed.
The beam you drive with at night is called the dipped beam. The lesser beam "when it's not so dark" are called side lights.
The one you use to flash other road users are the main or full beam.

That's what I always thought anyway.

Yes, terminology indeed.
The beam you drive with at night is called the dipped beam. The lesser beam "when it's not so dark" are called side lights.
The one you use to flash other road users are the main or full beam.

That's what I always thought anyway.

Yes you are right. I'm just too lazy to learn and use the correct terminology.;)

Pardon my obvious ignorance, but what is an SVA test ? ? ?

Single Vehicle Approval test. It's a test designed to "approve" a one-off vehicle. It's similar to what manufacturers have to go through before selling a car over here.

Essentially, it would be too expensive and time consuming to force all the kit-car makers, car modifyers and garage tinkerers to get a BSI kitemark or E-approval; so they devised the SVA test.

From their site:
The Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) scheme is a pre-registration inspection for cars and light goods vehicles that have not been type-approved to British or European standards. The main purpose of the scheme is to ensure that these vehicles have been designed and constructed to modern safety and environmental standards before they can be used on public roads.

Ironically, many aftermarket bulbs are sold as "E-marked" but when you go and lookup the E-marking they are quite... well... let me put it this way, the last kit I had a look at was E13 if I remember well... (or E14... my mind fails me) which relates to hinges and latching mechanisms... so essentially either the producer faked the E-certification, or they got the latch certified... but not the bulb...

M.

More info: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/importsapproval/thesinglevehicleapprovalscheme

OK so based on that terminology, it seems we are all agreed that xenon = the dipped beam (the one we use when it's dark with oncoming traffic)

But is bi-xenon:

1) dipped and main beam
2) dipped and side beam

I thought it was 1)

What's the second high beam?

Most if not all MBs have four headlamp bulbs that illuminate in pairs.

Xenons only provide dipped beam with halogens providing the main (full) beam

Bi-xenons provide both dipped and main from one bulb/pair (a metal shutter alters the beam pattern for dipped) and halogens provide the additional (second) main (full) beam. The halogens are also used to "flash"

"Side" lights aka "Parking" lights are always normal (non-halogen, non-xenon) bulbs. They tend to look very yellow compared with the xenons, one can buy blue tinged bulbs to lessen the difference

Last edited:
From the owner's handbook

Attachments

• Headlamps W203.jpg
    Headlamps W203.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom