Bicycle Carrier Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris200

Car
c200
Folks

I am thinking of getting a bicycle carrier for my W204 Saloon. There appear to be 3 main options:

1. Tow bar type
2. Roof mounted type
3. Boot mounted type.

I don't have a tow bar and I don't want one either. I always thought they looked awful so that option is out even though it would probably be the best option (and I don't want the removable type either).

The roof mounted type wouldn't suit as the missus couldn't lift a bike on or off if I'm not around.

The boot mounted type with the straps appears to be more suited to hatchback cars rather than saloons but I was wondering if anyone knew of one that actually works with a saloon car. I've heard plenty of bad reports about their unsuitability but surely there must be one that does the job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in exactly the same position, but having previously used a boot mounted rack which damaged the paintwork, I'm not too enthusiastic.

Current solution is to whip the front wheel off the bike and shove it in the Fabia hatchback.............

It depends how far you are going and whether you need access to the boot I should think.

Personally I think there are some pretty idiotic people using cheap boot mounted ones with straps flapping, bikes wobbling and lights obscured. A lot look dangerous to me.

We use roof mounted ones, but the point you make about getting the bike up there is valid, there are ones that are assisted by struts and lower the bike to a more manageable level. They do really make the car guzzle fuel though.

Towbar mounted ones are fine, cut down on fuel usage but very expensive once the cost of the bar is taken into account.

For cost and security I'd plump for the roof mounted ones.

Even roof mounted ones need the bikes securing correctly.
A few years back I joined an dual carriageway behind a slow car which was being overtaken by a car with bikes on the roof. I moved out to overtake also, Just as car in front had cleared the slower car the bikes started peeling off the roof:eek:. To this day I don't know how I missed the bikes as they fell on the road

Last edited:
When I used to race I packed the bike up in a travel bag that are usually around £100-150. But even with a large car 2 or 3 bikes/people, along with tent and supplies the car was comprehensively stuffed full.

For local meets and mess arounds the bikes where chucked in the back of a van or 4x4 with just the front wheel out.

Quite messy and a bit of a PITA, especially when trying to transport people as well!
But I've never liked the idea of bikes on the outside of a vehicle, even when well secured. Far too many people have been followed then had the garages burgled!

I've got one of the boot hanger jobbies , managed 3 bikes to lemans and back on my old 406 estate , used it today on the way to center parcs .
null_zps24388558.jpg

I think I'll get a roof mounted one next , they wobble about a bit , plus I had to fit another bike in the boot , low rider.....

I've got one of the boot hanger jobbies , managed 3 bikes to lemans and back on my old 406 estate , used it today on the way to center parcs .
null_zps24388558.jpg

I think I'll get a roof mounted one next , they wobble about a bit , plus I had to fit another bike in the boot , low rider.....

It may be as sound as a rock but for me, I would not feel comfortable driving behind your car :eek:

If you opt for boot mounted take a look at the Saris Bones. I have one for a W203 estate and its very easy to use.

I can't speak about what's best on a Merc but I've had both boot mounted and towbar mounted back in the day.

I didn't like the boot mount (on a hatch back) at all - I was always concerned that the car was going to get damaged and there was an ever present risk of getting pulled because the number plate and rear lights were partially obscured.

The tow bar version was terrific - very stable, took two bikes which were easy to put on and dismount and it had integrated lighting and number plate board. It was a quick and easy to fit - two pins with a couple of locking clips. I would always recommend this design and you could get it with a removal tow ball / hidden electrics nowadays.

I've never liked the look of roof mount. Other than the hassle of getting bikes up there they just don't look secure. Having said that, they seem popular on the Tour de France so they must have some merit.

Last edited:
The strap versions seem to be fine when used with caution on a hatchback or an estate because of the sloping nature of the vehicle. My car is a saloon though and that is what seems to causing the problem. Has anyone tried strap versions on a saloon with success?

Roof mounted all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom