Bicycle insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SUPERNOVA1a

Car
Mercedes S63 BiTurbo 2012. LEXUS LS400. JENSEN INTERCEPTOR Mk3 8.2
After my son was a victim of a speeding cyclist swerving in and out of traffic jam and the insurance company washing there hands that they do not pursue cycleist. I have started a UK GOV Petition. If you agree that cyclists should have some form of insurance, then may I ask if you would be willing to sign this petition

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?
Click this link to sign the petition:
Petition: All bicycle riders to be same as motorist and motorcyclist and have insurance
My petition:
All bicycle riders to be same as motorist and motorcyclist and have insurance
Make it a legal requirement that bicyclist have a minimum third party insurance
The push for more cyclists by the government and local authorities should protect both the cyclist and the motorist as the cost to property and the NHS will make more demands on both

Petition: All bicycle riders to be same as motorist and motorcyclist and have insurance

So how would that work with Children cycling to school? Kids cycling to their friends, who pays/actions the enforcement of this law?

There are currently over 1 million uninsured drivers in the UK, which cause 100s of deaths a year, the Police are unable to enforce this, how could this possibly work for bikes :wallbash:

More cyclists on the road mean less people in cars, less traffic. making bikes require insurance would only increase the number of people going back in cars on our over crowded roads.

Totally pointless petition & rule IMO.

Last edited:
I don't know what it is about these petitions that makes me wary each time I see one.

Not a reflection on the OP but the fact that any crank and weirdo can start one makes me wonder if there should be some kind of vetting process before a slot is allocated.

It would ruin the bicycle industry, I have 5 street/Town bikes I potter around on, no way would I insure them for tiny amount of use they get.

Personal liability insurance is more sensible.

Some type of registered number plate, similar to cars, might be more viable. It would then be possible to identify riders.

Everyone should have personal liability if we are going down this road.

Bike, skateboard, walking, scooter,horse, etc etc

The insured motor vehicle driver is not always to blame but always(in general) takes the brunt of the costs no matter who is to blame.

You can't insure the others In the same way, its impossible.

I dont want it, but it is the only feasible option.

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/bicycle-insurance.275971/After my son was a victim of a speeding cyclist swerving in and out of traffic jam and the insurance company washing there hands that they do not pursue cycleist. I have started a UK GOV Petition. If you agree that cyclists should have some form of insurance, then may I ask if you would be willing to sign this petition

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?
My petition:
All bicycle riders to be same as motorist and motorcyclist and have insurance
Make it a legal requirement that bicyclist have a minimum third party insurance
The push for more cyclists by the government and local authorities should protect both the cyclist and the motorist as the cost to property and the NHS will make more demands on both

Maybe advise your son that he should expect 2-wheeled vehicles to be filtering in traffic as stated in Highway Code rule 160 and rule 211.

Maybe advise your son that he should expect 2-wheeled vehicles to be filtering in traffic as stated in Highway Code rule 160 and rule 211.
That's quite an assumption given that the OP hasn't mentioned exactly how the incident unfurled.

For all we know, it could just as easily be "advise the cyclist not to ride into stationary objects, because they're unlikely to magically get out of the way no matter how over developed your sense of self entitlement is". ;)

Last edited:
A nice little earner for lawyers and insurance companies, but hard to see how it could be enforced and operated.

From identifying bikes ( registered number plates) to pursuing claims. We already live in a system where one in 30 vehicles is uninsured, where police simply don't have the resources to manage routine collisions, and where the public don't want the heavy hand of the law checking their activity.

As has already been pointed out, these 20 mph electric scooters already show that we don't have the rozzers to police roads firmly.

How do we avoid collisions? By defensive driving, not by asking others, even awfully nicely, to pull their act together.

For all we know, it could just as easily be "advise the cyclist not to ride into stationary objects, because they're unlikely to magically get out of the way no matter how over developed your sense of self entitlement is". ;)
Now why would any cyclist willingly ride into a stationary object? A death wish perhaps? Certainly not to profit from contrived insurance claims as the majority of cyclists are not insured.

Rule 213 of the Highway code should be noted by all motorists sat in their cars fiddling with a computer screen that they need to pay attention to what is going on around them.

213 - "Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make."

Last edited:
For sure it's a tricky one. As previously mentioned i can't think how insurance for cyclists would be workable or enforceable. Especially the point regarding application to children and other road users including pedestrians/runners etc - where would it end? Recently i've had more car damage from shopping trolleys, so should shoppers also have insurance when in charge of a trolley? Especially as the goal is to get people out of cars and onto bikes and other forms of transport. It could also open a can of worms for what i see as an increasing claims culture. Before long our daily lives will be so devoid of the need for common sense and responsibility as we just take out insurance to cover any and all errors/mis-judgements. Sometimes people are not careful enough and though it's a pain when we're inconvenienced that's just life.

Now why would any cyclist willingly ride into a stationary object? A death wish perhaps? Certainly not to profit from contrived insurance claims as the majority of cyclists are not insured.

Rule 213 of the Highway code should be noted by all motorists sat in their cars fiddling with a computer screen that they need to pay attention to what is going on around them.

213 - "Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make."

You'd need to ask them. My best guess for the cyclist I watched pile completely unaided into a traffic island earlier this month was "not paying attention".

it wold only work if the cyclist stopped to give you their details !! there is no way of identifying a cyclist if they just carried on

it wold only work if the cyclist stopped to give you their details !! there is no way of identifying a cyclist if they just carried on
perhaps every cyclist should have to have insurance and wear a hi viz jacket with a reg number on that linked to the insurance. therefore if a cyclist is not wearing a jacket with number on they can be pulled over just like a car driver

Noooo!!!!! Diesels only pollute, they don't hold up motorists and ride on the pavements..............or dress up in lycra.
Don’t try and hide the fact that you dress up ion Lycra to swan about in your wood burner.

Don’t try and hide the fact that you dress up ion Lycra to swan about in your wood burner.
No wood burners in my mansion, gas is the future for domestic heating, no acrid smoke to contend with. Dragoon a few cyclists to provide motive power to my generators for electricity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom