Bicycle rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With the SE Racing re issue stuff the quality is actually pretty poor. Not USA made like the original 80's/ 90's stuff. Now owned by Fuji i believe. Skyway TA cruisers look nice though. Chrome with black Tuffs. I think you can even get re-issue graphite Tuffs.
Yes I was looking at vintage ones. I saw a TA for about £2k but I just couldn’t justify it. I’ve already got two bikes on the wall in the lounge and a vintage race bike I actually use plus a bunch of others. So I’m not sure what I’d do with a vintage bmx but I just want one!

I doubt Perry Kramer put his name to chip chipchops bike.
The PK ripper is a bmx to all us of a certain generation.
A fixie is basically a unicycle with front end, which is how Craig strong got his world wheelie record back in the day.

I have a 24" SE floval flyer, 24" SE str Ltd editions an ornament. And a 24"Haro
A 26" GT pro series and 26" GT Pro performer
A 29" GT Street performer.
A 20" Park bmx of good quality as an ornament.
A 20" race bmx and a 20" etc kuwahara replica.

All have at least 1 brake, only 1 gear, and freewheels.

Oh well.

As i said a bicycle without brakes in a city centre. Some may be surprised to learn that is a thing. Safety first down the pan.
So you are including yourself in the band for which safety has gone down the pan?

Yes I was looking at vintage ones. I saw a TA for about £2k but I just couldn’t justify it. I’ve already got two bikes on the wall in the lounge and a vintage race bike I actually use plus a bunch of others. So I’m not sure what I’d do with a vintage bmx but I just want one!
You would have to race it if you got an oldschool race bike. :thumb:

A fixie is basically a unicycle with front end, which is how Craig strong got his world wheelie record back in the day.

I have a 24" SE floval flyer, 24" SE str Ltd editions an ornament. And a 24"Haro

Didnt the PK Ripper have an odd oval shaped or similar shaped down tube

Tuffs or Tuff 2?
I had a Redline with Flight Cranks. 😏
We built a quarter pipe with a deck on our driveway. 👍

My brother had a Torker 280.
Tuff 2 - this would have been about 1982/83 I guess up to about 1985 when I got a Dawes Ranger Mtb. Used to get bmx bits from Surrey Skateboards in Woking. My sis was into skating so she’d get her bel air hockey wheels and trucks and things there as well. We made a ramp in the road and it was hot so I took my full face helmet off (still have it) and proceeded to smash my front teeth up on my bars! Mum was not pleased! I saved my pocket money for ages for the Dawes. I remember it was £460 in 1985 which was a lot! Reynolds 531 and Suntour, it was superb. My folks helped out of course!

Yep it is a homage to a PK Ripper at best. No way the quality is anywhere near original Race Inc. build.

I remember Craig Strong. PK Ripper frame, forks made of two flimsy bits of metal and a chopper seat, Haha.

Yes Floval, chip mentioned it earlier, oval ....don't know why the F.
My 24" floval flyer is basically a 24" pk ripper.

They were like a rectangle section i think. Much chunkier than cromo tubed bikes as they were aluminium. The Skyway TA had teardrop tubing, I think TA stood for “Totally Aerodynamic”! Funnily enough I didn’t like the PK Ripper shape in the day but like them now. What else was there- Hutch, Ammoco, Firebird, GT, Torker, Haro, Kuwahara, Redline, Raleigh? Sure there’s many more.

Yes Floval, chip mentioned it earlier, oval ....don't know why the F.
My 24" floval flyer is basically a 24" pk ripper.
They seemed obsessed by aerodynamics back in the day thinking about it. Aero Burners, Tange ARX forks, Skyway TA, JMC shadows etc. Can't imagine it made much difference in a 40 second moto.

Tuff 2 - this would have been about 1982/83 I guess up to about 1985 when I got a Dawes Ranger Mtb. Used to get bmx bits from Surrey Skateboards in Woking. My sis was into skating so she’d get her bel air hockey wheels and trucks and things there as well. We made a ramp in the road and it was hot so I took my full face helmet off (still have it) and proceeded to smash my front teeth up on my bars! Mum was not pleased! I saved my pocket money for ages for the Dawes. I remember it was £460 in 1985 which was a lot! Reynolds 531 and Suntour, it was superb. My folks helped out of course!
The dates sound about right. In ‘82 I was 15 so it would’ve been my last year of being on a BMX. Our go-to shop was Shorter Rochfords in North Finchley.

When we lived in Hendon we built a ramp from an old door and a couple of milk crates. We placed it at the bottom of a hill and I was voted to be the first one to use it. I sped down the hill and the bike split the door and got stuck throwing me over the bars and landing on the palms of my hands breaking the scaphoid bones in both wrists!!
4 weeks in plaster. 😂😂

They seemed obsessed by aerodynamics back in the day thinking about it. Aero Burners, Tange ARX forks, Skyway TA, JMC shadows etc. Can't imagine it made much difference in a 40 second moto.
Yes especially with an A4 sized number board on the bars! Mine was perforated though but even so...

I was North East No1 back in the day, the mtb legend Jason Mcroy was 2nd to me....but we were pretty equal if the truth were told.
Then I went on to the skatepark and street stuff and won a few competitions.
Still ride the big bikes most days for exercise and pleasure.
I'm going to be bmx racing next year when it all opens back up again...50+ age bracket 🤣 on the 24" floval and maybe the 20". I'm 6'2" 🤪 can't get it out of your blood.

They were like a rectangle section i think. Much chunkier than cromo tubed bikes as they were aluminium. The Skyway TA had teardrop tubing, I think TA stood for “Totally Aerodynamic”! Funnily enough I didn’t like the PK Ripper shape in the day but like them now. What else was there- Hutch, Ammoco, Firebird, GT, Torker, Haro, Kuwahara, Redline, Raleigh? Sure there’s many more.
I had a Diamond Back at one stage.

The dates sound about right. In ‘82 I was 15 so it would’ve been my last year of being on a BMX. Our go-to shop was Shorter Rochfords in North Finchley.

When we lived in Hendon we built a ramp from an old door and a couple of milk crates. We placed it at the bottom of a hill and I was voted to be the first one to use it. I sped down the hill and the bike split the door and got stuck throwing me over the bars and landing on the palms of my hands breaking the scaphoid bones in both wrists!!
4 weeks in plaster. 😂😂
Shorter Rochford’s a famous roadie shop as well isn’t it? I tried cycling under some of those no cycling bars. Didn’t end well, chipped tooth and massive egg on my head! Do kids still get eggs on their heads These days? I always seemed to be getting stitches as well. on my 10th birthday (1982) we were doing bunny hops in the garden at my party and I slipped and my bear trap pedal took a massive chunk out of my shin. 9 stitches, still have a nice scar! happy dayz!

I was North East No1 back in the day, the mtb legend Jason Mcroy was 2nd to me....but we were pretty equal if the truth were told.
Then I went on to the skatepark and street stuff and won a few competitions.
Still ride the big bikes most days for exercise and pleasure.
I'm going to be bmx racing next year when it all opens back up again...50+ age bracket 🤣 on the 24" floval and maybe the 20". I'm 6'2" 🤪 can't get it out of your blood.
Did you never make the transition over to MTB's? I raced a few NAMBS dh races. Carlton Bank was a great track. They even used it for the national dh series at one point.

I had a Diamond Back at one stage.
Was there a thing called a Diamond Back Pro 2 Turbo? I think my friend had one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom