Bicycle riding in the country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
This rant is just about riding a bike in the country areas, not inner towns and cities, although there is lots could be said.

I ride a bike a few times a week for leisure, and have never had a real issue with any type of vehicle. There are also horse riders about, and I would hope their experiences are as good as mine.

My Gripe is the sight of well equipped cyclists riding on pavements, see them all the time, on my bike and in my car. If I'm walking I will not give way to them, if possible I'll make them come to a stop.

Firstly its illegal.

Secondly, they are well equipped, helmet & lights etc so should be on the road.

Thirdly, if they were on the road, more vehicles would experience having to allow for and pass a cyclist, making it better for all of us.

Rant over!

Why does everyone want to rant on this forum?

It doesn't really wind me up

I know Will,was only joking

Dieselman said:

Bit of an overstatement, have you nothing relevant to add on the topic?

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Dieselman said:
It doesn't really wind me up, I just find it a bit disappointing that people can't have fun conversation and would rather rant like old men.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, I think it does wind you up, so lets have a 'fun' conversation about adults behaving in a dangerous and illegal way; anything to add?

I am nearly 'old' and generally like a bit of a rant. I think in all my posts this is the first 'rant' and have still to see an interesting comment about my topic, think I posted in an appropriate part of the forum.

Anyone have relevant comment?

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I ride a bike a few times a week for leisure, and have never had a real issue with any type of vehicle.

You're fortunate. Most regular cyclists I know of have almost weekly 'experiences' with a car. I suspect this is why your next three points are redundant IMHO.

If I'm walking I will not give way to them, if possible I'll make them come to a stop.
Rather petty.

Firstly its illegal.
True, but that's rarely a boundary for self preservation.

Secondly, they are well equipped, helmet & lights etc so should be on the road.
Irrelevant IMHO. Cyclists should be well equipped wherever they choose to cycle.

Thirdly, if they were on the road, more vehicles would experience having to allow for and pass a cyclist, making it better for all of us.
Maybe so, but who wants to be a burning martyr for the righteous cause?

We're all big boys and make our own decisions in life. You make yours, allow others to make theirs.

I can't think why it would bother you so much but purposely making them come to a stop makes me wonder if you're just looking for a confrontation?

"MBClub does not condone speeding, reckless driving or other unsafe or illegal activities"

Except illegally riding bicycles on the pavement...

Because we are all getting older and will eventually end up like all the other moaning old farts that we meet/avoid in supermarkets, cinemas, car parks and other areas of public gathering.

It's just a right of passage.

In years before internet fora, it would be a rant at the bus-stop, pub, grocers, library etc.

Born, learn, live a little, moan, die.

Always makes me laugh the way the bike sheds at work only ever have bikes in them in summer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom