Big 2012 c63 AMG engine/LSD issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newnesie

Car
C63 AMG
Hi guys,

First post here and a recently new owner to a c63 amg PP+ coupe.
I have done about 2.5k miles in the car since October and the car has 32kish miles total, due a service in Feb. (Service B I believe)

Today I came off the motorway and went up a hill onto an A road, giving it a bit of gas in Sport, nothing to serious and for a short distance. At the top of the road the engine light came on, the rear wheels felt like they were shuddering a bit (it has an LSD from factory) and smoke was coming from the rear, possibly the exhaust. The smoke was white.

I pulled over in a small lane and turned the car off and tried to turn it on again which it would not do. At this point I called the recovery and got it taken to my local Mercedes dealership. I have a warranty so not to bothered on the cost. A great start to my Christmas.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Temperatures were fine, if not below normal operating temp as had been on the motorway. Even after 40mins + of the car sitting it would not restart.

All I can do is pray that Merc can check the car over tomorrow and tell me what's wrong, but any early pointers would be a great help.
Have done a quick search but couldn't find anything like this where the car wouldn't restart.

Any helpful replies appreciated and I hope you are all having a much less stressful holiday than me :D

Can't imagine a engine light for anything to do with the LSD....was there loads of white smoke??
Like you say covered by warranty so financially your safe.

Would the car turn over or was it clunking.....which would indicate its hydro locked.

Was it white smoke or steam ? Blown head gasket perhaps,the shuddering could well be the engine misfiring as the water entered the cylinders. Lets hope the dealer can give you a diagnostic and some idea of when they can fix it.

Yeah doing some more reading the hydro-locking thing does seem possible (not very clued up on engine related issues myself). My warranty covers me up to £2k, hydro-locking sounds like an expensive fix, any idea how much/what would need to be replaced?

I think it was clunking opposed to trying to turn over, although I only tried a few times before giving up hope.

Cheers guys.

I had a faulty fuel injector a while back which threw a code and made it run like a bag of hammers.....once turned off, and then turned ignition back on it subsequently filled one cylinder with fuel which locked it.....so a simple fix of changing out a injector.

Would be very rare for a head gasket failure especially on a facelift model so don't worry about it for now.

I had a faulty fuel injector a while back which threw a code and made it run like a bag of hammers.....once turned off, and then turned ignition back on it subsequently filled one cylinder with fuel which locked it.....so a simple fix of changing out a injector.

Would be very rare for a head gasket failure especially on a facelift model so don't worry about it for now.

Really hoping something like this is the case. I didn't get any low coolant signs pop up or anything. Hoping to god it isn't hydro-locked else it's going to be a bum christmas. I bought a facelift having read about the hydro issue on the earlier models.

Does anyone know the factory UK Mercedes Warranty on these? Mine is a 2012 car with 32k miles. Can't find it on google without scrolling through new merc adds!!!

If I remember correctly (I had a 2012 facelift C63) 3 years or 60000, whichever comes first.

If I remember correctly (I had a 2012 facelift C63) 3 years or 60000, whichever comes first.

Ah, I think mine was April registered. Shame my after market warranty will be the only thing backing me up financially then!

Presumably you saved a few quid buying it how you did over a main dealer?

If the engine hydrauliced it would have stopped dead...yours didn't.

Presumably you saved a few quid buying it how you did over a main dealer?

Maybe, but I bought the best spec one on the market at the time (IMO) so paid a decent price for it. But it was from a car garage.

If the engine hydrauliced it would have stopped dead...yours didn't.

That sounds like good news. On first thought the Merc said it could be an injector issue. Await a a call back from the service department.

I had 2 injectors go on mine 4 weeks apart.
First one caused a hydraulic lock due to filling chamber with fuel when ignition turned on....car stunk of fuel.
2nd one caused a misfire and felt like the car was shaking itself to death.

I changed all injectors out just to keep my mind at rest.

My money is yours is an injector fault too and will be back to normal running soon.

I had 2 injectors go on mine 4 weeks apart.
First one caused a hydraulic lock due to filling chamber with fuel when ignition turned on....car stunk of fuel.
2nd one caused a misfire and felt like the car was shaking itself to death.

I changed all injectors out just to keep my mind at rest.

My money is yours is an injector fault too and will be back to normal running soon.

Yeah I think injector 5 has leaked into the cylinder and caused some issue, hopefully it'll be back up and running on the 29th or 30th when they get back to the garage.

Hopefully good news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom