Big BANG in Hemel Hempstead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's just down the road from me and I've worked there on a few occasions.
All the idiots are now panic buying fuel :crazy: :crazy: I've just had to take a detour because the queue for the petrol station is blocking the road.
Why are some people so bloody stupid.

Bang!

Keep away from the M1...

"Massive explosions hit fuel depot

Three large explosions have rocked a fuel depot near Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire shooting flames hundreds of feet into the sky.
Police say there are 36 casualties, with four people seriously hurt.

The first blast happened at 0603 GMT at the Buncefield fuel depot, close to junction 8 of the M1 motorway and was heard more than 100 miles away.

The fire, which police believe was caused by an accident, could last days with more explosions expected."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4517962.stm

mixed reports on this - one which mentions a plane last seen or heard before the explosion.

Hope its not we are all thinking.

Just shown a satellite image on BBC.

A thread-merge necessary I feel.

("Buncefield": aah tht's how u spell it.)

Have seen the media reports and am a little concerned about people back home. How bad is it really? Is there structural damage to houses outside Hemel Hempstead? Would appreciate some personal viewpoints, as I’m in the Middle East this week. Apparently it was even heard in SW London, where I live.

I live in Harrow, NW London.. about 15 miles from the blast and I was woken up this morning at 6:01am when the blast happened. It was so loud i thought that i thought it was very close, within a mile or so. I checked around the house and there was nothing out of the ordinary. When i checked the net, and read that it happened in Hemel, i couldn't believe it was still so loud.

Its true that it was heard from miles around, even people 30 miles away have reported hearing it, but from watching the beeb, only houses within a 5 mile radius have had damage, like windows smashed and doors blown open.

Having said that, my mum just got a call from a friend who lives a mile away and one of her doors slammed shut with the blast :crazy:

I heard it in Harrow, about 15 miles from there, and my inlaws have said that they heard it near Heathrow :crazy:

Yep, woke both me and the G/F in Maidenhead, quite a way from the blast. Managed to stay up long enough to find out what it was, as it was a bit worriying!

Same here and I live in Surrey! Didn't hear it just felt the whole place shake - was quite eerie.

Apparently (or allegedly) the weather conditions were just about perfect for the transmission of sound and the BBC ran a report that the explosion was heard in Holland! :eek:

Woke me up - about 10 miles away. M1 and A1m both jammed or closed.

AFAIK Guy is our closest member....are you there Guy ?

No - I'm at the GF's in wokingham - dotn remember being woken at 6 - but then we went to the pub last night ;)

My lodgers said the whole house shook - the dog went mental, and all the car alarms in Wigginton (where I live) went off... They said it sounded like thunder.

The current pictures look worse than earlier.
Fire Chief expects it to burn for a couple of days.

At first there were talks of casualties... and now there isn't anything at all.. only those injured.. something being kept hush hush? Just hope that the earlier reports were all speculation and are wrong

sky news and the media in general make me so mad :mad:

they are DESPERATE for something 'more' to hype up and dramatise . . .

It amazes me, at the recent press interview, the first question, "do you know how it happened?" I ask you complete devistation in the area and the media ask that. I am sure they were hoping for something on the lines of Al Qaeda or a plane or worse. Well from what I can gather, it was just an accident.

NormanB said:
Apparently (or allegedly) the weather conditions were just about perfect for the transmission of sound and the BBC ran a report that the explosion was heard in Holland! :eek:
I think they meant Holland-on-Sea, near Clacton.

I live in Enfield, which is approx 20 miles from Hemel, I never heard a thing....It was a little cloudy on Sunday morning though from the smoke..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom