Big Gearbox / Sequentronic Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzclk

Car
An AMG
Please please help someone!

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I've been having some problems in the morning with my CLK with the 6 Speed Sequentronic box (see my other post for pics of this gearbox).

The problem I was having was everytime I put my foot on the brake I am asked to Select Gear again, this can go on for about 5 mins in the morning and require a few restarts of the car.

Now today, I have not driven the car very much (driven it last on Friday) and just driven it now.

Got in the car and it took a good five mins. on the first few attempts it asks you to select again a few attempts later u can hear the noise under the bonnet of the gear change but it asks you again and again. Then it went in.

I reversed a little out of my drive and had to stop because of oncoming traffic / back again to select gear again.

Then after a few more tries / restarts it was in gear again, moved a little then the computer said

TRANSMISSION

with a cog symbol and then said

VISIT WORKSHOP

stayed in neutral and refused to move at all.

turned it off again and waited a few mins, started again and the fault went.

Off I went got down the road to the lights on the slowdown / near stop it said select gear again. I put on the hazards and went for a few more gear selections and then got moving again.

Parked up at my mates, collected my stuff got back into the car moved off right away and then got to the lights and it was in A then it suddenly decided it wanted me to select gear again.

hazards again and then got moving after a few tries.

So I guess I have a lemon... this is not looking good and I'm pretty broke after this buy.

So did I get ripped off, is it a simple fix or is my hydrollic pump ruined...

Do I get a warranty with this car and if so who with? I heard they are not worth the paper they are written on...

Please help me out.

Thanks

:mad: :mad: :mad: :( :confused:

My luck with car's just isnt working out I think. And seriously am feeling like giving up.

I see you've only just purchased it. From a dealer?

If so, read the advice on http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=60893

You are protected by the consumer act if purchased from a dealer but best to try and find an amicable resolution with the dealer first. When you talk to them, make sure they know that you know about the act.

Hmm, I'm not sure what it falls under, I purchased it from "retired dealer" from his home address and have been provided with a invoice with a company name and such like that to make it seem like a trader / at home motor trader.. but im not sure if I have many / any rights at all...

Dieselman, I have to say I love the Columbo pic! :eek:

OK even if he tries to deny this saying he is a "retired trader" or anything similar as I have the advert and it says Trader and the invoice is a headed one and not a lined paper that u would have if u purchased from private seller.

thing is what is the next step, the seller is quite far from me 300miles round trip.

Better to have it scanned and check incase its something minor / small?

My local garage has a "normal" scanner, worth taking the car to him?

Pick up the phone and speak to him first!

The best type of dispute are those which are solved amicably.

If that doesn't work, trading standards.

Will do, but how long should can this take, if he agrees to resolve the problem then its OK, but if not, then I have an issue as I need the car every morning to go to work.

I will have to go to the meet if the car can make it and have it checked out properly...

Hi

W208 2001, 75,000 Miles

Had it scanned this morning on a scanner - dont know what type (he said it was expensive)

Came back with Low Hydrolyic preassure or something along them lines, didnt manage to get a printout of the diagnoisis, but it was along them lines. so either the pump is shot or it needs some oil...

What would you lot say?

Drove mostly ok today, didnt hold me up in the morning, went out of gear twice...

Advise pleaseee
icon_smile.gif

Thank you everyone!!!

Read the link in post 2 and follow that.

Hope all gets resolved amicably and quickly

Don't let anyone mess about with the car! If they happen to make anything worse, the trader could well refuse to fix the problem.

Have you spoken to him yet? What happened?

Been told it maybe the relay part number A 002 542 59 19 05

any idea of cost and will it fix the fault do you think?

Or is it too late...

Shall I get my VIN number translated so u can get all the info and copy and paste it in (that russian merc vin site)

Also How hard to fit this part to the car,

Car is still driving and when it finally gets into gear its sweet.

So thing is do I get that part from merc and then get a fluid topup or do you think the unit has packed in?

I need to contact the seller too,

Its not even been 14 days, but i suspect he will be very unhelpful and dont think I have the energy. (i know it sounds really bad - but I just dont see him playing ball, but I will get intouch)

Will be calling him tomrw to see how he reacts and what he proposes...

Oh and I am getting pestered by my mate to get a warranty ASAP now to cover my ass bigtime
Shall I? are they worth the money they are written on?

Who do you recommend?

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry to hear of your problems - but tagging onto your other post - apart from adapting your driving to the box I have had no issues at all with mine (just come back form a round trip to Doncaster today 500 mile round trip and faultless)

I don't have a technical head at all so I would take on the advice of others.

If you have credible advice from a garage, use that in calling up the 'dealer'. To be rock solid on this, I would recommend getting a STAR print out from a MB dealers (they may charge) or a good local indi who has the Merc STAR. That would satisfy any Trading Standards - I would mention them if he doesn't play ball - perhaps in a," well the next step is going to them, but I would really prefer if we could sort this out...."

A good Warranty is worthwhile (I bought one as mine was 3 years old when I got it - just turned 63K today), but you should be able to get the dealer to cough for the repairs as it was only a few days ago you got it - unless he tried a sold as seen - though I don't think he can get away with that.

good luck - oh and that post linked in earlier is a good one.

I took mine out with Warranty Works - top level of cover excluding the Main dealer labour rate option

www.warrantyworks.co.uk/

I had a Laguna diesel last and they paid out over £3k on it through 4 or five repairs (injectors, air con, electrics reversing sensors etc) with no issue, so it made sense to stick with them.

Its the only warranty I have had so cannot comment on any others.
There are bound to be dozens of horror stories out there for them (there are for every warranty company) but my experience was 100% with them.

Not used them on the merc yet tho......

Damn!

thats a decent price and stuff compared to the likes or warranty direct too!

Anyone else got any comments about them, will do some digging on forums and stuff too..

maybe its good if i make a warranty tread / post in the general section

I see, (ovbiously could be a million things) but could it be lack of oil
now, just to update you on how the car has been today,
done about 50miles, some dual carriageway, some start stop city traffic
in the morning (cold cold cold) started the engine and waited a min or two at idle, held at 1500 revs for about 30 secs, then back to neutral,
car went into gear and i got on with my journey, mostly faultless, just a few times when at lights or breaking to a stop i had the message to select gear.

but mostly not a nightmare i usually get to select the gear, so I will defo try a new relay I think and get some oil into that unit too.

but overall today its been pretty good to drive, did drive it quite hard at times, i think i shoudnt be doing that considering the problem at the moment.

near 5k revs and making use of the supercharger.

only on pulling away once today it felt like a manual when i thought it was going to stall.
otherwise pretty ok overall.

You are not helping yourself driving and thrashing it when clearly there is a problem. If you want a really eye watering multi thousand pound bill to replace the gearbox then carry on. If you don't then I would suggest 1. calling the seller to let him know and ask what he would like you to do about it and 2. then get the transmission fluid and filter changed by a competent MB dealer or independent. You may suggest that the seller picks up the bill for this - should be about £200 ish. You may well find that this is all that is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom