Big guns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gotta dash as the coppers are after you eh!

In Skiathos today there is a religious festival. It culminates with most of the island folk ending up at a monastery in the hills.

It kicks off with all the local guys firing off their shotguns indiscriminately from the top part of town. This goes on for about one hour.

So picture the scene, 30 to 40 locals, all with shotguns firing at will, no crowd safety, no hi-vis jackets, no ear defenders, no goggles, no method statements, one cop car and not a spot of trouble.

In the UK....no chance.

Guns don't kill people, nutters do.

P.S Guess want I want for Christmas?

In Skiathos today there is a religious festival. It culminates with most of the island folk ending up at a monastery in the hills.

It kicks off with all the local guys firing off their shotguns indiscriminately from the top part of town. This goes on for about one hour.

So picture the scene, 30 to 40 locals, all with shotguns firing at will, no crowd safety, no hi-vis jackets, no ear defenders, no goggles, no method statements, one cop car and not a spot of trouble.

In the UK....no chance.

Guns don't kill people, nutters do.

P.S Guess want I want for Christmas?

Sounds like a typical Saturday night where I live actually.... :crazy: :bannana:

PARDON? SORRY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I'VE JUST FIRED A SHOTGUN... :dk:

Shotguns aren't nearly as brutal to shoot these days. Well, let me qualify that a little... Shotgun technology has, believe it or not, improved quite a bit over the years. The basic fundamental design from 150 years or so ago hasn't changed much, but little things such as back-bored barrels, long forcing cones, increased weight and recoil damping gadgets in stocks have developed.

Cartridges have also developed, mainly because various competitive bodies have gradually reduced the loads allowed. These days, 21grm and 24grm are very common with 28grm being the most allowed pretty much everywhere for clays. If you're shooting game then you can still use whatever you want, but you won't want to be letting off many 56grm shells more suited for Howizters.

A new semi-auto with 21grm shells could be shot all day long and you wouldn't feel a thing.

Shotguns are even more fun than chainsaws!! :)

I fired one at a corporate party (clays) back when I was probably 12 or 13 - they had to forcibly remove it from me, was having so much fun (and hitting nearly every clay).

Had a really cool (butt-shaped) bruise on my shoulder for a couple of weeks after - was a schoolyard hero :D

I fired a 40mm Bofors once ... does that count?! :)

I fired a 40mm Bofors once ... does that count?! :)

Yes, because it is a Gun. Rifles, shotguns etc are Weapons.

Not that it matters of course but some people (usually ex Gunners) do get very upset about such things!

So what's the difference?

Is this like when I say "boat" and my ex-Navy boss gets all upset about his ship?

Is this like when I say "boat" and my ex-Navy boss gets all upset about his ship?

Pretty much. All guns are weapons but not all weapons are guns.

"Gun" is traditional term and refers to artillery but creeps into use with larger weapons like machine guns, so has passed into common use.

Anyway, usually only worried about by people who should get a life! (As stated usually by ex Gunners, who also get upset when you call them a Drop-Short)

Last edited:
So if I got an Air Force "Tail Gunner" (who uses a machine gun) and an Army "Gunner" (artillery) in the same room we'd have quite an argument going? :)

What do you call someone who fires MLRS?

So far OT we'll come out the other side in a minute :)

I've never fired a shotgun but I've fired a few pistols.

Glock 19 and a Colt .45.

And I've fired an AK47 and an M16 with little or no accuracy, the Glock is fantastic for accuracy though.

There is a company just outside of Prague where you can pay to play with them think it was 80EUROS for access to the guns for an afternoon with a bunch of ammo, but the rounds quickly run out and you have to buy more at expensive rates.

The only true boats in RN service are submarines! A boat has a single continuous deck. Anything else is a ship. Ships can carry boats, but not the other way round. A ship or a boat can happily carry one or more guns!

How's that for OT?

I must say that I really did enjoy it. There was a fair amout of kick-back (which did surprise me), on my last shot I aimed carefully at the top of a tree and managed to hit it :).

I am going to look into it further and get some info and maybe buy one in the near future.

PS I used the chainsaw last week for the first time.......wow!!

A boat has a single continuous deck. Anything else is a ship.

I knew about the submarines but even my boss has never explained the difference this clearly - thanks :D

Fancy a Holland and Holland Range Rover too OP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom