Big issue sellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I'd be interested to know how often people walk past Big Issue sellers, and what their reaction is. I walk past three or four a day, usually twice.

I'm not a reader, as I've said elsewhere, so have no desire to buy the magazine, and I do support my own charities of choice. Should I put some money in their pocket anyway? If so, each of them? Every day? Once a week, or how often? What would you do?

I ask in connection with the thread about the poor girl who was raped because she did not have enough money for her last bus home. The general concensus is that we should look after our fellow human beings, and show our worth to society by doing so. I agree, but what about when being faced regualrly with needy people? Where would you draw the line with your financial support?

My local Big Issue seller smokes, has an iPhone and dresses better than I do (not hard though) - I think he should help himself as he sets a bad example for the more honest sellers.

I have bought a few copies in the past, but am against being hounded to buy a copy.

My Mrs always buys a big issue because in her eyes they are making an attempt to sort themselves out. She may not always read the contents like I do but she will buy one.

Quote from their website;
The Big Issue offers some of the most excluded people in the country a unique opening to take some control of their lives and earn a legitimate income. Vendors make a personal choice to buy their magazines with their own money, taking charge of their finances and sales whilst developing the skills required to retail to the public.

The Big Issue was launched in 1991 by Gordon Roddick and John Bird in response to the growing number of rough sleepers on the streets of London. The two set out to address the problem of homelessness by offering homeless people the opportunity to earn a legitimate income; to ‘help them to help themselves’.

The Big Issue Foundation is a financially independent charity which builds around the unique trust that we establish with homeless people to deliver a brighter future, boosting self esteem and helping vendors to reclaim their citizenship.

Funny thing is that they all disappear when it is raining so they obviously have homes to go to...

.. also I asked a pretty, young, homeless woman if I could take her home, and she said yes with a big smile.

The look on her face soon changed when I walked off with her cardboard box.

Theres been a big shift in the type of person selling Big issue round my way in the past 6 months. Now much of the sellers are of Romanian extraction and female.

I strongly suspect the money is going back to a gang master somewhere back in Romania In the same way it did when they were on the streets begging with their children.

I wouldnt want to think I was in any way supporting this abuse.

Theres been a big shift in the type of person selling Big issue round my way in the past 6 months. Now much of the sellers are of Romanian extraction and female.

Romanian families use Big Issue loophole - Telegraph

Some reports have said that up to a third of Big Issue sellers are now Romanian. in fact, in London at least, Romanian begging gangs are becoming the big issue.

I strongly suspect the money is going back to a gang master somewhere back in Romania In the same way it did when they were on the streets begging with their children.

I wouldnt want to think I was in any way supporting this abuse.

Yep , Romanian type outside M and S in Teddington , always on her Iphone , in her North Face Jacket ;)

I used to buy one in Greenock whenever I went there. Bit left wing for my taste, but still readable and only £1, so seemed a win/win situation to me.

The last time I bought one it was £2 and sold by a rather aggressive foreign speaking gent. Haven't bought one since. I thought you had to be homeless to sell the Big Issue, but have since found out you don't and there are some rather dubious gangster types selling it (as mentioned above). Shame.

I rarely buy one. Sometimes I just give a quid.

Outside Buxton M&S a couple of years a youngish chap proffered a child's boot and said "small shoe", he then hid it in his hand and showed me a "Big Issue", ha! He got a bonus for that.

If it was any good it would be on the shelves of WH Smith and the like.

It's original intention was good but is now just official begging. The magazines are bought at a reduced rate and the profits kept. You don't even need to be officially homeless to sell them anymore.

The reason why there are so many Eastern Europeans selling them is that the sellers are often 'employed' by the buyers of the magazine and they are then given a small 'commission' to buy one.

I generally agree with Mr. B, I always thought it was a good thing if someone put some effort into it and at least try and earn a living, as opposed to just live on benefits.

I no longer actually buy the magazine, because I realised that it mainly discusses issues relevant to homeless people, and not any issues that I would like to spend time reading. So I usually just hand over the £1 and say 'no thank you' for the magazine (which, I am aware, may be a problem for the charity who would have otherwise received 50p).

And while I did notice some Romanian girls selling the Big Issue in our area over the past couple of years, I didn't think much of it and I was not aware of the loophole issue until now... will have to give it some thought.

Another thing I've noticed that in addition to having cash to spend on cigarettes, they must also have sufficient to feed a dog that invariably accompanies them.

Another thing I've noticed that in addition to having cash to spend on cigarettes, they must also have sufficient to feed a dog that invariably accompanies them.

Perhaps it's their only friend. :dk:

I've seen Romanian Girls, I've seen people with dogs, but I am yet to see a Romanian girl with a dog....

I've seen Romanian Girls, I've seen people with dogs, but I am yet to see a Romanian girl with a dog....

Do not google with safe search off :eek:

English dog "Wuff wuff"

Irish dog "Wuff wuff"

Romanian dog " Two pounds please"

I'm not a reader, as I've said elsewhere, so have no desire to buy the magazine, and I do support my own charities of choice. Should I put some money in their pocket anyway?

No, I don't think you should feel you should have to if you otherwise wouldn't support them.

I too have a small number of charities which I support and the homeless is not one of them - so I do not buy the big issue when faced with the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom