Big money E500 saloon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My what my friend pays for his import M5....they are less to tax than UK ones. VED rates are just calculated on the pre-March 2001 flat rate system depending on whether or not the car is under or over 1549cc.

RFL is listed as £630 pa, not the £295 pa they quote in the ad

My what my friend pays for his import M5....they are less to tax than UK ones. VED rates are just calculated on the pre-March 2001 flat rate system depending on whether or not the car is under or over 1549cc.
I'd been wondering why the VED was quoted as £295 in the ad.

Just spotted this: 2010 Mercedes-Benz E500 5.5 Avantgarde AMG Pack - 28k Miles FSH - Very Rare | eBay

Looks very well kept but it's an import with not that many extras. Seems steep at £20k.

There are lots of very high asking prices for uesd cars in general at the moment. Whether anyone pays them I've no idea.

back in the real world, there are a couple of uk supplied 500's on AT at 12.5k or so. They're on 70k, this is sub 30k. I'd say the low mileage might add a bit. Maybe 2k?

Still, some people are very fixated on mileage and I guess the vendor is fishing for a punter who's wing to pay a massive premium. It only takes one....

Not necessarily. It depends on the age of the car at the time of import, and what paperwork was used to register it. If your IVA report has a stated CO2 figure, you'll be charged accordingly.

You'll also need to make changes to the radio (Japan operates a different frequency range) and the instruments (which may or may not play nicely depending on how you have to do it)

Typical Edward Hall car; way overpriced by the standards of people like me, who just want a nice car in good condition to drive. About as good as it gets if you really want a 5.5 W211 E-class saloon and don't want an AMG, though; you'd get a decent E55K for that sort of money, and I know which I'd have. Whoever pays that sort of price for it will be able to afford to have the radio sorted out, ditto any niggles with the instruments. Very small market, I'd say, but as LondonScottish says, it only takes one...

For that sort of money, the radio and instruments really need to have been sorted already. But it wouldn't be the first time I've seen EH asking top dollar for something that still needs the t's crossed.

For that sort of money, the radio and instruments really need to have been sorted already. But it wouldn't be the first time I've seen EH asking top dollar for something that still needs the t's crossed.
Are they the crowd that advertise ‘cars wanted’ in the classifieds in Classic & Sportscar?

Not necessarily. It depends on the age of the car at the time of import, and what paperwork was used to register it. If your IVA report has a stated CO2 figure, you'll be charged accordingly.

You'll also need to make changes to the radio (Japan operates a different frequency range) and the instruments (which may or may not play nicely depending on how you have to do it)
Does not apply to cars over 10 years old at time of import....as the car is in the OP....so its cheap(er) road tax.

Does not apply to cars over 10 years old at time of import....as the car is in the OP....so its cheap(er) road tax.
Which is covered by the sentence "It depends on the age of the car at the time of import"?

The point is, not all imports get cheap tax as you appeared to be stating.

Own up, who bought it, within a handful of days.

Not my cup of tea at £20k for a 28k Japanese import in black / black but I can see why someone would because it did seem to be immaculate.

Come on, we know you're out there....

D8A19445-9F0E-4C47-BE6A-B4CD7477AC92.jpeg

F9166998-33D0-4D8F-84F6-C7F07BAA4402.jpeg

Much better bet, I'd say, and much better colour combination too. Nice.

Absolutely gorgeous!. And already reserved!
Mmm, a bit OTT.

Yes, that paintwork is immaculate, and bears none of the usual stone marks on the nose - unscarred bodywork and immaculate interior. Nice extras that aren't as common as you might think on the E500: the pano, Harmon Kardon, memory seats, reversing camera, the entertainment system and that light interior. But the important thing is that it drives exactly as if new: acceleration, handling, fault and creak-free etc.

But it's a contentious colour, and that cuprite metallic doesn't pop as much as it should, too many layers of wax and polish that will need to be cleaned off. It's been serviced regularly but only oil services annually over the last 20,000 miles, so it needs a full service to bring it up to date: ATF, plugs, filters etc. as well as a second key.

Not to everyone's taste, but can always be found at Heathrow Long Stay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom