Big problem...no service history

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taboo10

Car
Merc E220 CDI Estate
Hoping someone can help me here,
Bought my 2012 M/B E220 estate from a local garage about 4wks ago,
in the sales advert it said the car had Full Mercedes Benz Dealer service history but now to my amazement I've found out after visiting my local MB dealership for a service printout that MB UK have no record of my cars service history on there database, if fact they told me the car was sold by MB financial services uk to a leasing company and the leasing Co must have had the car serviced, I've tried to find out who the leasing company are but MB financial services will not divulge any info because of the data protection act, anyone
got any advice as to where I can go from here ?,any advice or information
would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.... Taboo10
Ps..car drives and looks great, I've had a towbar and rear window tints
fitted so returning it too the dealer would be a last resort.

Who's the previous keeper on the V5? they will be able to answer your questions.

Some leasing companies dont use dealers to service, some just use 3rd party chains like Halfords Auto Centres etc etc.. who use OEM parts. However all the paper work (invoices) gets sent back to the leasing company.

How many miles are on the car ?

Take the issue up with the dealer who sold it to you and get them to sort it ASAP...if they can't get hold of it then ask for a financial settlement or take things further, as they are in breach of the sales of goods act for advertising a car with Full Service History and were then unable to supply it.

Whats the mileage on the car by the way?

Take the issue up with the dealer who sold it to you and get them to sort it ASAP...if they can't get hold of it then ask for a financial settlement …

If the dealer cannot provide the FSH then they should pay you the difference in value between a car with and without FSH.

You may need an expert to substantiate the actual sum.

If the dealer will not cough up, the small claims service (up to £5K) will let you take court proceedings for a small fee.

Just been through the same thing when I purchased my car from an MB main dealer. I had one of three services missing although they did in the end provide me proof that just an oil change was carried out instead of a B service. The post above is quite correct in the fact that it does actually breach the act and having looked into it further, surprisingly it is classed as a criminal offence with quite severe penalties. I had to escalate it multiple times with the dealer giving me my next service foc. Bit annoying as I like using PCS. The laughable bit was when the dealer tried to convince me after checking the trade website they use for car values that at a trade price to them the difference between fsh and no service history on my car was £100. Really!
Fight for your right and if you decide you want to keep the car seek financial compensation as obviously the residual value of your car will be less due to its lack of service history and you need compensating in light of that fact. Good luck. Sadly, whether correct or not, I tarnish dealers with the same brush as estate agents but hey, that's my personal opinion based on not once being happy with the service I have experienced from a dealer. This is the reason I and my Dad only trust our Mercs with Olly/PCS

Hi,
Assuming the car has never had an identity change (ie private plates etc) I would be inclined toward phoning one or two of the larger MB main dealers asking if the wouild access the central database for servicing records.

Being polite always helps...

I would do that first to cover any lack of knowledge on the part of the dealership that you phoned....

If that draws a blank then its up to you to decide what you want I guess.

ATB

If the dealer cannot provide the FSH then they should pay you the difference in value between a car with and without FSH.

You may need an expert to substantiate the actual sum.

If the dealer will not cough up, the small claims service (up to £5K) will let you take court proceedings for a small fee.

I had to do this with a Peugeot my wife bought.... countless discussions later and had still got nowhere. Then found their facebook page, put a post on it outlining the issues I was having, mentioned sale of goods act and misrepresentation act and that I would shortly be reporting them to trading standards under these acts, and would be pursuing them through the small claims court for the difference between what we paid as advertised and what we thought that it was worth without the history..... I had full service history proof and printout within hours.... social media can be a very powerful weapon as long as you stick to facts...

Last edited:
I've returned a car to a MB main dealer before on similar grounds. They claimed that the service history (some indie & some main dealer) allowed the car to be re-enrolled in Mobilowhich was one of my requirements for the rust cover & roadside assistance.
MB would not let the car back into the Mobilo scheme so it went back for a refund & the main dealer then sold it on to someone else who was not aware of the mobilo benefits.

If your car had full main dealer SH then it would have been in the mobilo scheme. No SH then no mobilo. No mobilo then no pan-european roadside assistance for the first 30 years of the cars life - so service history is worth more than service history alone

Do you have a copy of the ad? It either has a full MB service history or not. If it hasn't then you have been deceived.

camerafodder said:
Do you have a copy of the ad? It either has a full MB service history or not. If it hasn't then you have been deceived.
The dealer I purchased my car from told me in writing that none of the cars they advertise on the MB website use the words 'Full service history'. They told me they use the words 'Service history'.....I'm so glad I printed off the advert from their website and therefore was able to furnish them with a copy

Many thanks for your replies lads, just a few answers to your questions
@Martyz, previous keeper is MERCEDES-BENZ FINANCIAL SERVICES UK LTD, they
will not or cannot tell me who they leased the car too.
@Driver15/Vlad..mileage is 48,500
@ras8963...Been in touch with local M/B Dealership, also MERCEDES UK..both
confirm they have no service history records on there database for the vehicle.
@camerafodder...yes I do have a copy of the full advert both on my computer +
I've printed it out also.."FULL MERCEDES BENZ DEALER SERVICE HISTORY" on
it as clear as daylight.

once again thanks for the replies..i'll have a think about my next move, i'm
waiting for written confirmation from M/B UK that the car has not been serviced
at any of there dealerships then i'll make my move
Ta Taboo10

Bought my 2012 M/B E220 estate from a local garage...

Chances are it was only on their forecourt, rather than being sold as Approved Used off an MB dealer forecourt, as it had no service history.

There's a recent tale on here or the other forum of a member who bought an ex-MB Finance car from an auction and when the engine failed it turned out to have missed its first service and MB washed their hands of it.

This is a known problem across the trade.

Adverts that are more wishful thinking than facts.

A friend traveled a long distance to buy a 1-year old Phaeton from a VW maim dealer.

He paid a deposit unseen... and when he arrived the car turned-out to be very different in some odd ways...for example it did not have the sunroof mentioned in the ad (none do, by the way). Etc etc...

Of course the dealer denied, but luckily he had a copy of the ad cashed on his iPhone and eventually managed to secure substantial discount (after threatening legal action).

It is difficult to understand why dealers do that - do they really think people won't notice?

Ive seen several cars, particularly VW, where the details advertised on the website are incorrect. On querying this I was informed that the details are entered by VWUK and not individual dealers. Things like emissions, for example, were stated for older models etc. I've seen a nearly B class that I was interested in on MB website and the details were for the previous model. I don't think the dealers deliberately uprate the spec. A few exception no doubt.

markjay said:
?.... It is difficult to understand why dealers do that - do they really think people won't notice?

I've made similar errors when advertising caravans, because it is so easy to copy and paste the old advert then change a few details, it is easy to leave in a bit of incorrect description.

Memo to self, more haste, less speed...

Even on a Mercedes I personally place no value on a service history, stamps in a book are just that. If the car drives well just keep it serviced yourself from here on. Look at service requirements and they are for most cars an oil and filter change plus "look at" loads of stuff. My C Class didnt have the last service recorded and still hasnt had to badger the dealer for a copy invoice. From here on I will do most of the work and keep receipts for future buyers.........

I have just bought a Nissan X Trail with full history and even the invoice for the last service carried out just 700 miles ago, the oil looks fresh enough, but here is the state I found the filter in:

IMG_20150511_103622140_HDR1_zpspjve7hsq.jpg

Still convinced about service history?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom