Big Tide At Teddington This Morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Very OT i know , but i took this picture at 5.30 am this morning while at work ..

Abnormally high tide with increased river flow due to the rain we have had over the last few days .... :eek:

It overruns our island at 22 feet and London floods at 24 ish ......(never seen either of these thank god)

Last edited:
I didn't think the river was tidal this far in? :confused:

Maybe you've found Thames Water's leak? :D

The thames is tidal to Teddington Weir....

Except for days like today when it overflows the weir , then the river starts flowing backwards and it tidal as far as Hampton Court ..... :eek:

I was on some back roads between Driffield and York on Thursday afternoon and the canals and some ditches were so full they were lapping over the edge. At one point I was at a junction and the road was about 1m under the top of the bank. I left the junction pretty sharpish. Can't wait for the hose pipe ban !!!!!!!!!!

Merc808

Howard said:
The thames is tidal to Teddington Weir....

Except for days like today when it overflows the weir , then the river starts flowing backwards and it tidal as far as Hampton Court ..... :eek:

I guess that saves opening the lock for smaller craft then Howard.:D

I lived in Teddington as a kid and remember the road flooded up as far as the traffic lights.

Remember someone being killed by lightning on the bridge there, too!

They just showed Putney on the TV news ... some very damp cars!

Dieselman said:
I guess that saves opening the lock for smaller craft then Howard.:D

Yes it does, we can just open both sets of gates and the craft just cruise up and down , they love it !

However, you have to catch the exact turn of the tide, as a relief lock keeper discovered a few years back..

He missed the turn and the level had dropped about 18 inches and he tried to close the gates, the hydraulics aren't powerful enough to hold it and the force of water smashed them closed ....

£45k's worth of damage and a lock closed for 5 weeks...... :rolleyes:

Bill, it doesn't flood that far up any more, since they built the flood wall at the bottom of Ferry Road

Howard said:
Bill, it doesn't flood that far up any more, since they built the flood wall at the bottom of Ferry Road

Sounds like a good mod.!

So where was the flooding with the cars under water I saw a glimpse of on the news yesterday?

Putney Embankment floods all the time and the idiots who park there never learn .....

Putney Embankment will flood with an 17 1/2 to 18 foot tide ( quite regular / once a month )

The Thames barrier tends to go in for anything forecast above a 20 1/2 foot .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom