Bigger rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin clk

Car
CLK
I've currently got factory fitted 16's on my w208 and have an opportunity to do a swap for quite a nice pair of genione merc 18's (225/40/18)

I'd like to know how the ride would differ and if it would have a dramatic effect to the cars appearance. i don't want it to look like it's on stilts.

Does it make any difference that it's an Avantgarde?

Make sure the offset is correct as MB never did a genuine set of 18's for the CLK , they will be off an E class i expect.

We have 18 inch BBS's on the blue CLK and it is an Avantgarde , it hasn't been lowered and looks a little bit like it is on stilts if i am honest. We run 235/40/18's on it. Are the ones you are looking at a staggered setup or one width all round ?

The red car has AMG 17's ( CLK 55 wheels ) on it and is a much nicer ride.

Last edited:
I've got 235/40/18's on the front and 265/35/18's on the rear..looks lush and really fills the arches and looks wide and mean from the back :) Car sits nicely on them..

I've currently got factory fitted 16's on my w208 and have an opportunity to do a swap for quite a nice pair of genione merc 18's (225/40/18)

I'd like to know how the ride would differ and if it would have a dramatic effect to the cars appearance. i don't want it to look like it's on stilts.

Does it make any difference that it's an Avantgarde?

I put 17' AMGs on my CLK Avantgarde which I found made the ride harsher than on the 16' so 18' would even be more so. Alright on nice smooth roads but on lumpy roads not that nice. Everybody to their own preference I suppose. What you loose in comfort you gain in looks.

You can check they are the correct fitment at: Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd | Fitting Chart Index

225/40R18 is just the tyre size which doesnt tell you anything. You need to know the width of the rim and the offset, and if they are a staggered set then the width and offest for the front and back will be different.

Last edited:
Once you get used to rolling on 18's you won't think the ride is harsh, until you take friends for a ride and they'll comment on it...I've gotten used to 19's pretty quickly on my 209, but when i jump in anything with smaller wheels, i'm reminded how harsh my setup is! Still wouldn't give it up, as the look is excellent and i mainly do motorway mileage which isn't so punishing anyway.

Ive got 08 CLS 63 AMG 18"s ( see pic on left) on my W208 it is lowered and they look perfect...really set the car off.
Deff a slightly rough ride on bad roads tho!

Last edited:
hi i was wondering, i want to lower my car but i have 18 kahns on it and if i lower them by 30mm will the arches rub,

c220 cdi
esprit 99
white

Thanks for comments guys!

I've decided to stick with the stock wheels and go with comfort. I think the car looks nice enough and not prepared to compromise on ride quality.

Off topic - I managed to fix my temp display pixels yesterday. Absolutely over the moon !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom