Bigger Supercharger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone could go to Kleemann but wheres the fun in writing a cheque-I'm looking at doing on my own as a mod!

Never any fun writing cheques:(

I can't see that just adding the 230k SC will work, if only because of the compression issue.

Making sure it is safely mapped (fuelling) is your priority.

There are many variables involved but generalising; pushing a greater volume of air into the engine will require more fuel also to produce a power increase. Fuel remapping may provide that fuel if the delivery system has the capacity to supply it.

Bigger is not necessarily 'more' in this exercise so I'd try and get the specifics of supercharger outputs for the original and the desired types. As mentioned before you could just blow it and see but that's a lot of effort to go to without having real knowledge of the likely performance gains.

To quote an old saw; Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

You have to stop buying C180s Greg.

Probably but that would be a few tweaks here and there on an already sufficiently fast car. I doubt you'd be trying to supercharge it.

I know you require refinemnt and a family car, but there are lots of high performance saloons and estates that fit that bill. I do think you keep starting with the wrong car.

If you want to go down the route of putting a bigger supercharger on, you must change your compression ratio or risk pinking of the engine which is not good:crazy: . There are a couple of things you can do from the cheap and cheerful to the ridiculously expensive.

Firstly you could get a spacer plate made up to drop the c/r down enough to get this to work. (cheap alternative but not recommended)

Secondly you could have you pistons dished lowering compression

Thirdly go out and buy specially made low compression pistons. (These cost around £180+vat each)

Once you have done this you would then still have to get your ecu remapped to make certain it will be able to provide enough fuel or you could end up running a lean engine which is also not good:crazy: .

Is there a way of restricting the boost pressure with electronic controler? Blitz do some items like this.
Perhaps set to increase current pressure to a safe maximum when bigger SC fitted?

Would still need remap etc but could solve CR issue.

Thanks for the continued input it is much appreciated. You wouldn't thing changing from A271 090 2080 to A271 090 2180 would be so complicated!

Have to say, surely there is a pont where its maybe time to change.

while I appreciate people being able to do these mods, with the money invoved / insurance implications and resale issues? would it maybe be worth looing at a C32 and start modding that?

sorry just my view. You have a nice car and have done some great mods but engine wise think I'd move on. If you go for the AMG you have better brakes, suspension and all the rest already done :)

Have to say, surely there is a pont where its maybe time to change.

while I appreciate people being able to do these mods, with the money invoved / insurance implications and resale issues? would it maybe be worth looing at a C32 and start modding that?

sorry just my view. You have a nice car and have done some great mods but engine wise think I'd move on. If you go for the AMG you have better brakes, suspension and all the rest already done :)

Check out The complete M271 thread....I think we have moved on (Well a little bit anyway!!):D

Hello,

Just flicked through the thread, seems to be a lot of debate on accuracy of the G-tech machine? an ML320di 0-60 n 7.3 ? the ML55 is booked at 6.9.

I'd be tempted to try my bus with it.

Heck your happy tinkering around and thats great I love messing with cars also, only engine wise the most I did was add this on my 330ci not sure it did anything bhp wise but sure as hell sounded great :) I don;t know if I would have been able to tell it claimed up to 15 bhp. The car I think had around 240bhp? would I notice a few more?

DSCF3415.jpg

Enjoy tinkering with your car :)

Might the ECU not just correct the mixture? ( I don't know)
Within the parameters it the ECU knows about it will - i.e. getting the right fuel for the airflow should be OK as the MAF gives the airflow, so the ECU should calculate the fuel OK as long as the flow doesn't increase to the point where it's out of spec for the MAF/ECU (simplified explaination I know). In other area such as timing etc the ECU may be less able to adapt and re-mapping may be necessary to achieve maximum benefit.

The bigger pulley route is the more common approach, I'd think that was the easier way to go if you want more umph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom