Biggest Con Ever by Mercedes-Benz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I was prompted to start this thread by another, where the SBC brake system was described as the 'biggest con ever by MB'. Personally, I feel that slapping AMG badges on everything above the base models (if they haven't yet, they will, they will...) qualifies for that description.

Others may feel differently. Gentlemen, over to you.

Owning a vehicle with sbc - I really cant see what it does over 'conventional' brakes bar the SBC Hold function - which im sure could have been achieved elsewhere.

I agree that the AMG brand is diluted - it seems that a set of wheels or a bit of trim allows one to put an AMG badge on anything. T'other day I saw a (an?) S class outside a shop - with an unusual badge on the passenger airbag area - and just AMG on the boot - I asked the owner what it was, expecting something exotic - but it was a S320CDI - the 'passenger airbag' badge was "2.99 from eBlag Mate..." - thats just like buying a fake rolex (like I did in 1988 at school....)

Don't know much about SBC as I never looked at owning or owned a car with that system.

However, I do agree with the AMG badging. No harm fitting the bodykit/wheels etc, but not the badges.

At least if you buy a Merc you don't have to opt for the AMG kit to make it look good inside. On the BMW side, if you don't opt for the M-pack they look like crap having seen examples when my boss was looking at 320d's or that brief moment of insanity when I was looking at 650i's!!!

I had a full blown argument with a colleague who still to this day thinks he owns an AMG Mercedes. He owns a w204 diesel and he has a receipt and invoice that says Amg sport. I own a C32 and you can imagine my upset haha.

I had a full blown argument with a colleague who still to this day thinks he owns an AMG Mercedes. He owns a w204 diesel and he has a receipt and invoice that says Amg sport. I own a C32 and you can imagine my upset haha.

I agree with your colleague. My W204 C250 CDI is absolutely an AMG. It has red seat belts and AMG on the floormats, and even said AMG on the invoice.

There is no way MB would use AMG as merely a trim level, so I'm certain my pistons have been hand polished by a gnarled German artisan piston polisher, giving my C250CDI amazing performance compared to the ordinary inferior non AMG versions.

So there.:D

Colin_b said:
I agree with your colleague. My W204 C250 CDI is absolutely an AMG. It has red seat belts and AMG on the floormats, and even said AMG on the invoice. There is no way MB would use AMG as merely a trim level, so I'm certain my pistons have been hand polished by a gnarled German artisan piston polisher, giving my C250CDI amazing performance compared to the ordinary inferior non AMG versions. So there.:D

You've got to say the man's right. If he's checked the badge and the invoice he's got an AMG. I'll bet it's lush-fast and special.

You've got to say the man's right. If he's checked the badge and the invoice he's got an AMG. I'll bet it's lush-fast and special.

Its more than special. It is an AMG Sport Plus. The plus makes it even better.

What is the difference between AMG and Sport?
Answer
A Sport Mercedes just has an AMG style bodykit and AMG style wheels on it. An actual AMG is a fully redone car. It has a handbuilt AMG engine, AMG brakes, AMG suspension, AMG exhaust, AMG interior, AMG body, AMG wheels, etc. an AMG is the ultimate high performance Mercedes. Sorry mate :)

Colin_b said:
I agree with your colleague. My W204 C250 CDI is absolutely an AMG. It has red seat belts and AMG on the floormats, and even said AMG on the invoice. There is no way MB would use AMG as merely a trim level, so I'm certain my pistons have been hand polished by a gnarled German artisan piston polisher, giving my C250CDI amazing performance compared to the ordinary inferior non AMG versions. So there.:D
you should post this in the amg lounge .... Ah wait you won't be able to without an amg vin number hahaha

What is the difference between AMG and Sport?
Answer
A Sport Mercedes just has an AMG style bodykit and AMG style wheels on it. An actual AMG is a fully redone car. It has a handbuilt AMG engine, AMG brakes, AMG suspension, AMG exhaust, AMG interior, AMG body, AMG wheels, etc. an AMG is the ultimate high performance Mercedes. Sorry mate :)

I don't believe you, you are merely envious of my floormats and red seatbelts.

You did have me fooled for a minute, but it even says AMG on the wheels, now I've checked.:bannana:

Why do all threads on here have to be a rant designed to cause an argument?

Gentlemen, over to you...

To lots of people I expect an AMG badge represents class of finish, such as ghia or titanium on a Ford. Its not really a con, anymore than buying a merc with a Renault sourced engine or one built in America, as opposed to being a German car.
Its only a con if the advertising literature tells you something it isnt.
It might offend the purists but most people seem to buy cars for their appearance and perceived image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom