Bike rack to fit W212 saloon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have the Thule roof system and it works well. As mentioned above you do need to take care lifting the bikes on to the roof but it's not a great problem. My car has a sunroof and I did need to take care positioning the bars to make sure they didn't foul the sunroof as it retracted, but there was just room to do that. You would be best to open the sunroof and then position the bars so that you can see how close you can get them to the sunroof without catching.

We now have a couple of electric bikes which are each just over 20kg. The bike shop did tell me they have seen people using roof racks with them but I didn't like the idea of either lifting them up to the roof or having so much weight on the roof, although technically it would be within the limits, so we bought a towbar mounted version as we already had a towbar on the car. It was expensive, about £500, but works very well.

A friend did that too , after returning from a holiday , forgot the bikes were there and drove under a barrier across the entrance to a supermarket car park ; he not only destroyed the four bikes but ripped the roof rails out of the roof of his Passat estate , which would have been a costly repair too .

My bike required the most repairs, my sons was minor and my wife and other sons bikes had scratches. The roof bars survived, but I lost two carriers.

The car took the brunt with two small dents in the roof, one on the rear door, smashed rear screen and various scratches.

The garage didn’t manage to clear out a piece of glass from the tailgate, which I’ve left there as a reminder to myself just how stupid I was. It rattles ever time I open the boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom